Man O War

Laszlo

Just and FYI

A friend of mine just off a cruise this morning said they saw a lot of Man O Wars along the south beach. They were at Warwick Long Bay and Jobsons

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

They can be there one day and gone the next, as they ride the currents.  Keep checking signage on the beaches.

I know that if I see one jelly or man O' war on the beach, I won't go in the water.  Many more could be out there.

One advantage of Horseshoe over other beaches is that the lifeguards police the beach. If there is a man o war issue they will whistle people out of the water.  I observed the lifeguards there going out in the water themselves at least once every hour.  I believe they were keeping an eye out for man o war.  In any case trying to predict if man o war will be there is fruitless. As you say just because they are there one day does not mean they will be there or not be there the next day or the next week. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 9:02 AM, Laszlo said:

Just and FYI

A friend of mine just off a cruise this morning said they saw a lot of Man O Wars along the south beach. They were at Warwick Long Bay and Jobsons

Yuck!

My husband was stung by this creature at Warwick Long Bay in 2011 from toe to lip.

It was scary.... nothing serious happened, but itching and numbness for several days.

Just now, Tatka said:

Yuck!

My husband was stung by this creature at Warwick Long Bay in 2011 from toe to lip.

It was scary.... nothing serious happened, but itching and numbness for several days.

It wasn't bad at all, we only saw one of the beach, non in the water

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Laszlo said:

It wasn't bad at all, we only saw one of the beach, non in the water

Thank you. Going in September.

We will be more prepared now. One that stung my husband was on the beach and looked like a kids toy. My husband did not and tried to picked it up. In the last second I realized what was that, but it was too late.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tatka said:

Thank you. Going in September.

We will be more prepared now. One that stung my husband was on the beach and looked like a kids toy. My husband did not and tried to picked it up. In the last second I realized what was that, but it was too late.

The one of the beach I saw washed up was the size of a football and had tentacles 5-6 feet long

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

The one of the beach I saw washed up was the size of a football and had tentacles 5-6 feet long

I have seen them a couple of times washed up on the beach. Never saw any in the water. Not al big as a football though. Out of probably 25 or 30 days at beaches in Bermuda seeing two or three of them in all those times  was exciting because seeing them was not all that common but just looking at them I can't imagine picking one up. They look creepy to me. I guess some people are naturally curious. Or they don't know they can still get stung when the creature is sitting in the sand.

Edited by Charles4515

57 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Yuck!

I was at Warwick Long Bay last week and did not see any. Unfortunately the beach was infested with seaweed so I departed. Biggest problem I had there was that I decided to take a dip before leaving. I had forgotten how deep the drop off was. I had a difficult time with the surf getting back on to the beach. I suggest anyone with small children go next door to Jobson's Cove. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1