posted Image Quality

Is there some preferred format, resolution, size, or other parameters that work best on the forums? I'm resizing my pix b4 posting to 1024 by whatever ans saving in PS at 300 pixels/inch. Is there a better setting? Mine look much much worse after posting than b4. There are a lot of pages on this photos & discussions page but I've not found the answer. Some of the suggestions given at the beginning in how to post pictures in late 2012 do not work, like img code, so I'm not sure where to ask.

I usually post from a link to my Zenfolio galleries. I assume that since I upload full-size there and use their prepared pre-sized links they do a smart resize/sharpen process as they usually look pretty good.

Here's a photo with a link and a copy uploaded after resizing to the same dimensions as the link:

Link

p3425387235-5.jpg

Upload

1851243887_Ireland-Iceland2019-1055.thumb.jpg.23e3f05aa38bba1309cdc9f15faa96a2.jpg

The link is 850px on the long edge as is the uploaded image the upload was resized at 240 PPI. Some small differences but not day and night. Also not significantly different than the resized copy viewed directly.

On a hunch, I resized a copy to 850 long edge with 100 PPI to closer match the actual pitch of a modern 24" - 27" monitor.

100 PPI

1433575042_Ireland-Iceland2019-1055.thumb.jpg.13f1753b612f5ecd789b3c8fc9ff82fa.jpg

Maybe a little sharper? Small enough difference that I may be imagining it.

In theory, exporting at close to the monitor's pitch should look best but since there are a wide range of viewing devices and with 4K monitors, a wide range of pixel pitch. A moving target.  I have always exported at 240, regardless of file size and seems to work well for me.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I was hoping you might answer. I do see what is going on. I'm am saving as a high quality jpg 1024 x whatever after cropping and doing any level tweaks. My 15" 4k laptop does show a different ppi than the 27" 4k. So the copy is sent as a 300ppi  1024 image and that is getting changed to a 1000 72ppi image after pasting into the forum. It might be this difference when viewing after the post. I have now experimented with resizing the 5000 to 72ppi from the 300ppi and that is setting the wide side as around 1000. My eyes are not seeing enough difference to really matter. I'm also  changing them to medium jpg in PS instead of high which makes them closer to 100k than 200k. All magic to me.

I've also discovered that when trying to use Imgur to sent a direct link for the img with brackets thing, it immediately gets drop by the forum. More strange....  So I started doing a cut and past from the file manager or the "drag files here thing". Either one seems to work much faster and easier than uploading to Imgur then copying that thing - that's bracketimg in cse it gets

Imgur  has been an issue for a very long time. They just won't link to CC forums. Not sure what the issue is but the issue pops up every once in a while when someone tries to link.

Just a thought on your export to medium JPEG. I always export at highest JPEG quality. The upload processor on this and most other sites recompresses, so I try to start with the best I can manage to avoid as much degradation as possible.

Dave