Speciality dining and other charges on board

Barnos

Hi All,

We are booked on the Norwegian Sun cruise on 24 June ... was Cuba but now rerouted to Bahamas L – thanks Donald :-).

I think they've made a decent offer by way of compensation but I have to say I'm completely confused by their pricing policy for speciality dining and having called them, the lady on the other end of the phone seem to know less than I do.

Can anyone tell me –

Can you book the speciality restaurants day by day on board? ( I don't really want to buy the full speciality dining package)

Is there a fixed price per diner (like I've seen on other cruise lines) or is this genuinely à la carte?

Is there likely to be availability  in any of the speciality restaurants (if we are willing to be flexible)  or do these tend to book up fully pre-cruise

I could ask the same questions about the Internet package ...  but would limit it to this – is the Internet on-board Norwegian Sun any good? I'm just looking to browse the Internet and check emails – not interested in streaming really.

Thanks to all

Teppanyaki is fixed price. Others are a la carte. You pay for the items you order, just like McDonalds. 

Advance reservations are highly recommended. They open 120 prior to your cruise. Prime time dining will sell out. Leaving walk-in at 9:00 pm, if at all. 

They hold old tables for onboard reservations, but “good times” will sell out early on embarkation day. Especially on a short cruise. 

It is satellite internet shared with 2000 others onboard. It is good enough to check emails and general browsing.  

Edited by BirdTravels

There will certainly be availability onboard in the speciality restaurants, as only a proportion of places are made available for rebooking. However, this may fill up quickly once people get onboard.

As for whether you will be able to just turn up, or book day by day, it is impossible to say for sure. People will post their experiences, but it can vary from cruise to cruise. I once did a back to back and for one week everywhere was fully booked very early in the cruise and you couldn't get in anywhere by turning up. The following week you could book almost everywhere on the day, or just turn up and be seated.

I always say that if you really want to eat at a certain time or place, or have a meal plan that you don't want to waste then book something. If you don't know what you want, and would be happy eating elsewhere if places are booked then just wing it and see what you fancy (and what is available).

4 hours ago, Barnos said:

Hi All,

We are booked on the Norwegian Sun cruise on 24 June ... was Cuba but now rerouted to Bahamas L – thanks Donald :-).

I think they've made a decent offer by way of compensation but I have to say I'm completely confused by their pricing policy for speciality dining and having called them, the lady on the other end of the phone seem to know less than I do.

Can anyone tell me –

Can you book the speciality restaurants day by day on board? ( I don't really want to buy the full speciality dining package)

Is there a fixed price per diner (like I've seen on other cruise lines) or is this genuinely à la carte?

Is there likely to be availability  in any of the speciality restaurants (if we are willing to be flexible)  or do these tend to book up fully pre-cruise

I could ask the same questions about the Internet package ...  but would limit it to this – is the Internet on-board Norwegian Sun any good? I'm just looking to browse the Internet and check emails – not interested in streaming really.

Thanks to all

I was on last weeks Sun cruise to Cuba.  WiFi didn’t work well at all, even had problems most of the time accessing email (got up in the middle of the night to get thru, even then very slow).  I purchased the 3 dinner package.  Didn’t make reservation until day of for each restaurant.  Found acceptable times for all restaurants except Teppanyaki which booked up fast.

4 hours ago, Barnos said:

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me –

Thanks to all

If you are willing to be VERY flexible, you should be able to get in to specialty restaurants.  But by flexible, I mean 5pm or 9pm.  If there is one you REALLY want to go to, book in advance.  You can always cancel and get a refund.  

Wifi has always been hit or miss for us, but it seems to be better for us these days.  5 years ago, we got "knocked off line" randomly all the time and had to log in again and again.  On our recent Alaska cruise on the Bliss, my wife logged in the first evening, and was online thereafter.  When we left the ship and came back on, she reconnected with no fuss.  It was very easy.  Speeds are fine for checking email and doing some browsing.  But, your mileage may vary, for sure.

10 minutes ago, rmurray847 said:

If there is one you REALLY want to go to, book in advance.  You can always cancel and get a refund. 

Very true. And getting a refund is only an issue if you book Moderno and Teppanyaki, as there its no upfront payment with the other restaurants.

8 hours ago, Barnos said:

Hi All,

Booking reservations doesn't have anything to do with buying the dining package. The dining package will give you a flat price, lower with each meal added to the plan, for each meal. If you would spend more than about $22 (some mathematician will be along to correct my estimate I'm sure) at a restaurant for three meals or more, the dining package is a good deal.   You can still book early or wait until you are onboard to reserve. BUT if you purchase a package and can't get a reservation/walk in, you don't get reimbursed for the unused meal.  On most ships it seems Teppanyaki fills up first because it has the most limited seating.

14 hours ago, Barnos said:

. . .

Can anyone tell me –

Can you book the speciality restaurants day by day on board? ( I don't really want to buy the full speciality dining package) - YES

Is there a fixed price per diner (like I've seen on other cruise lines) or is this genuinely à la carte? - DEPENDS ON THE RESTAURANT

Is there likely to be availability  in any of the speciality restaurants (if we are willing to be flexible)  or do these tend to book up fully pre-cruise - UNLESS YOU HAVE A LARGE PARTY YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET IN, THOUGH IT MAY BE EARLY OR LATE.

Thanks to all

Answers above