LIVE: Bliss Alaska June 9- Haven & Expecting

AtlantaAlly

15 hours ago, AtlantaAlly said:

Also, the hot tub here probably has a lot of pee in it...

803BE97A-7D79-4605-8F45-80CD755B951A.jpeg

Why do you say that?  Was there evidence?   I’m going on the same cruise, same time next year, so I would love to know!

48 minutes ago, Beenovo said:

Why do you say that?  Was there evidence?   I’m going on the same cruise, same time next year, so I would love to know!

The only evidence was circumstantial second hand reports from some who had been at the bar for hours and saw more people added but didn’t see anyone get out to pee after lots and lots and lots of drinking. No judging here- just an observation 🙂

• Like 1

Breakfast was in the Haven restaurant this morning. Julie has known our name since 1pm on the first day and always welcomes us with our name and a smile. We were only the second table in the place at 7:15- others must have had late nights! 

We ordered our coffee, ordered huevos rancheros, the salmon frittata, and a couple of English muffins. I love the little jars of jam that they have- and so many options!

After ordering, we go to the buffet for a few lighter fare items; yogurt, grapefruit, and a touch of granola. Another table or two arrived by 8 when we were leaving. 

Now it looks like a beautiful day- so we’re going to head up on deck for some sun before we go to Escape the Big Top!

2FAC8640-7ED7-4472-AB2A-89387E427459.jpeg

FE88E1CF-1A9D-454A-B1A9-1F41B1BA3AB1.jpeg

7322350B-56E8-4EE5-A881-37BD69738F2E.jpeg

228F4508-AB9D-4017-AF52-5C5073D96BE5.jpeg

A477EEC5-CA71-420B-B0EE-82AC9B543E0F.jpeg

68FB0DDA-8CCA-468A-9409-407F99182761.jpeg

A67A6B60-7FE3-4914-AA2E-4C391F2FE533.jpeg

F24107BB-AF65-4E3A-A9DF-4C0E10BACEB6.jpeg

11 minutes ago, ImADaneFan said:

Is David your Concierge?  I’m hoping he will still be onboard for our cruise November 3rd, from LA to NYC.

Linda

Yes, he is. He has been great in every interaction- although, he doesn’t recognize us/remember us. He was welcoming Haven guests through a priority line in Ketchikan and he moved our families over and did not recognize us, oddly enough. We flashed our cards, no problem.

The assistants leave a bit to be desired. One in particular. We asked if we could get reservations for Escape the Big Top, she told us the Box Office wasn’t open and we should go there at 2:30... I stood there in amazement. Then I asked if she would be able to call when they opened and let us know if she was able to get the reservation. She did. Maybe my expectations were too high that she would just take care of this rather than sending me down to the Box Office? I thought this was part of their standard service. Her title was “Guest Service Attendant” so I just chalked it up to the fact that maybe she was new at the concierge desk. Whenever we worked with David, it was always “Yes, absolutely I can do that for you.”

• Like 1

We did the glass blowing afternoon excursion in Skagway. Our guides Jack and Steph were engaging and I was full of enough hot air (the whole family was!) to make a beautiful ornament. They ship it right home for you. I probably wouldn’t do this excursion through the ship- it was easy enough to get to, and I probably would skip the meal there. Just want hungry. It was good though with quiche, salad from their garden and black bean soup.

191C19D0-8BC4-44AE-8EB7-DB46E089E1D5.jpeg

2193C16E-ABAC-4769-B86B-C72AD361CF27.jpeg

655D52C3-3D7A-4CB9-9E08-991F6B9FF331.jpeg

BC73594D-223A-4FDE-859A-D92E8C63C5F6.jpeg

7576B736-D975-45A0-A5A4-B6A246743F66.jpeg

5 minutes ago, AtlantaAlly said:

Yes, he is. He has been great in every interaction- although, he doesn’t recognize us/remember us. He was welcoming Haven guests through a priority line in Ketchikan and he moved our families over and did not recognize us, oddly enough. We flashed our cards, no problem.

The assistants leave a bit to be desired. One in particular. We asked if we could get reservations for Escape the Big Top, she told us the Box Office wasn’t open and we should go there at 2:30... I stood there in amazement. Then I asked if she would be able to call when they opened and let us know if she was able to get the reservation. She did. Maybe my expectations were too high that she would just take care of this rather than sending me down to the Box Office? I thought this was part of their standard service. Her title was “Guest Service Attendant” so I just chalked it up to the fact that maybe she was new at the concierge desk. Whenever we worked with David, it was always “Yes, absolutely I can do that for you.”

I’ve always had excellent service from David. He was Concierge on my Escape cruise in January and said he was hoping to be on Bliss.  

‘There was a recent post that NCL was now offering Non-Haven guest the opportunity to book diner at the Haven restaurant and drinks at the bar.  I’ve always been able to request a non-Haven guest to have dinner with me, and paid a cover for them, but this is new. Have you seen this happening?

2326532C-BDBF-4A5C-8363-34C9F00F3F29.jpeg

5 minutes ago, ImADaneFan said:

I’ve always had excellent service from David. He was Concierge on my Escape cruise in January and said he was hoping to be on Bliss.  

‘There was a recent post that NCL was now offering Non-Haven guest the opportunity to book diner at the Haven restaurant and drinks at the bar.  I’ve always been able to request a non-Haven guest to have dinner with me, and paid a cover for them, but this is new. Have you seen this happening?

2326532C-BDBF-4A5C-8363-34C9F00F3F29.jpeg

I haven’t seen this. But, depending on the timing, it may back things up in the Haven Restaurant. We walked past the other day and the restaurant was packed and there were 1-2 families in the small waiting area. There were a few big tables (10-12) so maybe that had something to do with it?

1 minute ago, AtlantaAlly said:

I haven’t seen this. But, depending on the timing, it may back things up in the Haven Restaurant. We walked past the other day and the restaurant was packed and there were 1-2 families in the small waiting area. There were a few big tables (10-12) so maybe that had something to do with it?

NCL tried to do this quite a few years ago and the was a major uprising over it... it was a very short lived offer. 😏

Linda

Glacier Bay Day: I was up by 5, out on the balcony in my bathrobe and slippers. There were clouds but they were higher than the past few days. The water was calm and we were moving slowly through the water, with barely a wake. 

I saw whales and otters off the balcony along with a few eagles. It was so peaceful. Baba, our butler brought us breakfast at 6:30 and we enjoyed the white linen service in our room. If you’re in early get out on your balcony or on deck.

669CAEF1-9792-46C2-B274-4C1EAFE175A0.jpeg

45A0F7F4-E047-4852-BB06-492A11172644.jpeg

66E9CAC2-1C48-4169-B614-08CC6CB49F76.jpeg

09F4D20D-0F95-498F-A184-3EB6CDC11198.jpeg

While waiting on the others to start their race, I feel compelled to share two things: we did not get out of the escape room. We got five of the six clues! So close! 

There is is a rule of gocarts: “no swerving” car #32 wasn’t listening, so they slowed everyone down to a crawl...

71CCD2F3-B2F9-4424-9460-ECF8A398193D.jpeg

12 hours ago, AtlantaAlly said:

Agree, we were in the Haven June 2-9...David was great but one of the other ladies (short hair) not so friendly.  Seemed to be annoyed with questions.

Glacier Bay was such a unique experience. As soon as we were done with breakfast we got dressed and headed up on deck. We were the first ones there by far. Just enjoyed the views as we entered and got closer to the glaciers. A little after 8, the Park Rangers came over the speakers and introduced themselves and began narrating the trip. They would come on periodically and point out things like wildlife, where the natives lived before the initial glacier surge, and other historical references. 

We were given the opportunity to get close to the Glacier and sat there for nearly an hour and saw a few calving episodes. We saw it first, stories of ice crashing to the water, followed by either the sound of a gunshot or thunder- dependent on the size of the ice breaking off. 

Then we turned and did a slow slow drive by the Hopkins glacier. We couldn’t get very close because of the breeding season  of seals (?) 

the glaciers were done by noon and we were ready for lunch. It was truly the best part of the trip for me. Calm, serene, and just immense nature in front of us for hours.

C4DEE311-B854-4F93-BBC3-272D37111C66.jpeg

C6D6CEA4-5B20-4C05-9F27-837A9E83D48C.jpeg

F0573919-B6AF-4959-AC3C-6DD3A39FD4C3.jpeg

A367FBD1-EECF-44FF-A87F-1DDF4F921793.jpeg

2BD873A6-2B5E-44D9-97A4-B4C688338A3E.jpeg

C42469F6-592E-42D0-95F1-34FD9DD992A6.jpeg

7B64C8CD-C773-4A20-92EB-798C09C2C1E0.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bigbluegal said:

Agree, we were in the Haven June 2-9...David was great but one of the other ladies (short hair) not so friendly.  Seemed to be annoyed with questions.

Yes, may be the same woman. I think she may be from a Caribbean island. Not sure which. But was disappointed. If she was Guest Services staff, it’s probably best she stay there and not move to the Haven. 

22 minutes ago, AtlantaAlly said:

Yes, may be the same woman. I think she may be from a Caribbean island. Not sure which. But was disappointed. If she was Guest Services staff, it’s probably best she stay there and not move to the Haven. 

Agree, she had a difficult time making eye contact. 

21 hours ago, AtlantaAlly said:

So it’s Day 7, and the sun is hot and the wind must be at our backs. We have the top deck to ourselves. I’m going to head back through pictures and see what I forgot to share!

AC8D5E4C-B66E-45B9-A045-80CCAFAED0F8.jpeg

So has it been nice enough to layout in a swimsuit to get some sun?

13 minutes ago, Beenovo said:

So has it been nice enough to layout in a swimsuit to get some sun?

It was for about 3 hours yesterday if you could find a place in the sun away from the wind (front worked best for us). People were in the pool and on the slides, etc. some sat in sweatshirts next to others in bathing suits. Seattle day and yesterday were the only days where I think it was possible.

6 minutes ago, Beenovo said:

Also,  what kind of jacket should we bring?  Is a hoody warm enough?

In Juneau, I wore a light sweater, fleece and waterproof jacket- was a little chilly but dry enough. Skagway was a hoodie and waterproof jacket, just fine-cold hands while kayaking. Ketchikan was a light sweater and I was rolling the sleeves. Glacier bay was a heavy coat in the early hours but by noon was in a light sweater. So pack for everything but those who suggest layers aren’t wrong!

So I need to share some things about rooms and locations, now that we’re getting off. We were in 18114. There was running on deck 19 above us until probably 9:30/10 each night. There was also some sort of holding tank above the room. In the bathroom there was a consistently loud sound of sloshing water. It was less consistent in the room itself but every once in a while we heard what could only be described as a cannon ball sized splashing noise.

My brother was in 18126. They reported that being next to both the outdoor ping pong noise from their deck and a service room right next door, it was not an ideal location. Starting at 5, they would hear constant noise and even flushing from that side of the room. 

I did like being in the Haven area, not sure if I would book outside or not.