Another drink package question.. sorry!

I looked all over for the answer to this question, but didn't see anything... I apologize if someone has answered this recently.

Right now on my cruise planner, I can get the deluxe drink package for $50/pp. That's not bad, IMO. But, someone from a recent cruise (Ovation in Alaska) posted the Cruise Compass and on Day 1 they had a BOGO 50% off, which averaged it to $46/pp. So here's my question: if this deal is available on the ship when we embark, will GS give us credit back for the difference? Thanks y'all!

I would suggest the answer will be no.

Royal never give you credit back for the difference in these situations... you need to cancel one thing and replace it with something else.

e.g. you purchase the drink package pre-cruise at $60 per day for a 10 night cruise. You pay $600 up front. Later, you see the drink package at $50 per day. To take advantage of this, you must cancel the original purchase and buy the package again for another $500 up front. Royal will then refund the original $600 to wherever it came from. If this is a credit card, it can take up to two weeks for the refund, meaning you are out of pocket $1100 for a couple of weeks until the refund gets back to your credit card.

How does this affect the situation you describe? AFAIK, pre-cruise purchases can only be cancelled up to three days before sailing. This means that if you buy now, you won't be able to cancel the purchase once you are on board.

There's always a gamble on not pre-purchasing and hoping the price will be lower when you get on board, but think of it this way... if you are on a seven night cruise with two people, you're talking about an overall saving of $56 with the figures you've quoted. If it's a five night cruise, you're talking about a saving of $40. Is it worth the risk to save forty or fifty bucks when the price could very well be higher when you get on board?

Personally, I pre-purchase and then watch the cruise planner right up until the three day mark looking for savings. If it turns out cheaper on board, then hey... that's life, but it's one less thing I have to think about when I get on board, and at the end of the day, saving fifty buck when compared to the overall cost of the cruise isn't a big thing for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

Personally, I pre-purchase and then watch the cruise planner right up until the three day mark looking for savings. If it turns out cheaper on board, then hey... that's life, but it's one less thing I have to think about when I get on board, and at the end of the day, saving fifty buck when compared to the overall cost of the cruise isn't a big thing for me.

I'm definitely buying now.. and watching for any price drops. I'm not gambling on whether or not they have the deal on the ship. Thank you for your help!

20 minutes ago, Beav1279 said:

I looked all over for the answer to this question, but didn't see anything... I apologize if someone has answered this recently.

Right now on my cruise planner, I can get the deluxe drink package for $50/pp. That's not bad, IMO. But, someone from a recent cruise (Ovation in Alaska) posted the Cruise Compass and on Day 1 they had a BOGO 50% off, which averaged it to $46/pp. So here's my question: if this deal is available on the ship when we embark, will GS give us credit back for the difference? Thanks y'all!

Royal will let you cancel onboard up to some time limit, like 24 or 48 hours after you sail.  When you cancel, they will charge you for any drinks consumed and give you the cost back as refundable on board credit.

They won't give  you the difference back, that would be too logical.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

I would suggest the answer will be no.

Royal never give you credit back for the difference in these situations... you need to cancel one thing and replace it with something else.

e.g. you purchase the drink package pre-cruise at $60 per day for a 10 night cruise. You pay $600 up front. Later, you see the drink package at $50 per day. To take advantage of this, you must cancel the original purchase and buy the package again for another $500 up front. Royal will then refund the original $600 to wherever it came from. If this is a credit card, it can take up to two weeks for the refund, meaning you are out of pocket $1100 for a couple of weeks until the refund gets back to your credit card.

How does this affect the situation you describe? AFAIK, pre-cruise purchases can only be cancelled up to three days before sailing. This means that if you buy now, you won't be able to cancel the purchase once you are on board.

There's always a gamble on not pre-purchasing and hoping the price will be lower when you get on board, but think of it this way... if you are on a seven night cruise with two people, you're talking about an overall saving of $56 with the figures you've quoted. If it's a five night cruise, you're talking about a saving of $40. Is it worth the risk to save forty or fifty bucks when the price could very well be higher when you get on board?

You can only cancel up to three days because of the paper work issue with Royal. You can still cancel once onboard and repurchase. 

You need to keep checking the website (you'll have to log into your cruise), especially around holidays.  I had 2 Deluxe BP I booked and paid for at $52/day pp on Harmony in December 2019.  Went into my cruise the weekend of Memorial Day and found the drink packages were BOGO 50% (BTW which is actually discounted at 25% off each package, still comes out the same) which brought the price down to $49/day pp.

I canceled the current package and re-booked the new package deal.  Saved $49.56.

I am going to check again around 4th of July and Labor Day to see if there is another sale.  

YOU HAVE TO KEEP CHECKING....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BekkaW said:

Note the 50% off is off the onboard price NOT the price you buy online. Onboard price usually much higher

Correct. It was published as $63/pp and BOGO 50% off, which makes it $47/pp for two people.. cheaper than online right now!

7 minutes ago, mickeychicky said:

You need to keep checking the website (you'll have to log into your cruise), especially around holidays.  I had 2 Deluxe BP I booked and paid for at $52/day pp on Harmony in December 2019.  Went into my cruise the weekend of Memorial Day and found the drink packages were BOGO 50% (BTW which is actually discounted at 25% off each package, still comes out the same) which brought the price down to $49/day pp.

I canceled the current package and re-booked the new package deal.  Saved $49.56.

I am going to check again around 4th of July and Labor Day to see if there is another sale.  

YOU HAVE TO KEEP CHECKING....

Thanks! Yes, I'll keep checking.. I've also heard that there are often deals online for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.. so that's what I'll do!

1 minute ago, Beav1279 said:

Thanks! Yes, I'll keep checking.. I've also heard that there are often deals online for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.. so that's what I'll do!

Yes I forgot about Black Friday and Cyber Monday....might be a gooooood deal then.

• Like 1

I asked the FB people from Royal Caribbean if I purchased the Deluxe package before boarding at whatever the price is/was, and when I boarded the ship the actual price with my 30% Diamond Plus discount made the price lower than the 30% off shown as the discount online, would I be able to cancel and rebook?

I was told I could do that I could do that and the credit would go back to my original form of payment and then I would be able to charge my Sea Pass the new amount.  I did see someone post a couple of weeks ago, the onboard price on Allure, I think, was $49 per day and that's what I've paid, so unless it goes a few dollars a day, I will leave it as it is.