First time to MIA - looking for Pre/Post Cruise suggestions

RobinCruiser

DH and I will be on a 7 nt sailing out of Miami on April 25th, along with SIL and her husband. It's the first time to Miami for all of us. We will fly in late on the 23rd. We'd like to do a few pre/post things including an air boat tour in the Everglades and head down to Key West for a day. I discovered the shuttle to Bimini on Friday so now thinking of a day trip to Bimini... any suggestions for must see/do? And does anyone know of a way to stop in Key Largo on the way to Key West without doing a self drive? I haven't been able to find any transfers or busses that will allow a stop in Key Largo on the way and my BIL really wants to see it.

You arrive late on the 23rd and sail on the 25th meaning you have one day to play with?

Let's call this reply "managing expectations" .... I think you'll need to pick ONE of your list and even then some might be pushing it IMO

1.  The drive to Key West from downtown Miami can take 4 hours or more - each way ..... most of this road is 2 lane with stop lights as you pass thru the small towns that make up the Keys. And this one road can get blocked for HOURS by an accident.  A one day trip to KW is risky especially if you have a tight schedule.  At best you drive down have a quick bite and walk about and get right back in the car/bus.  This web site confirms a bus tour says 4 hour ride .... http://www.miamitokeywestbus.com/faq/ It leaves Miami at 8 so you get to KW at 12 and departs KW at 5:30 for a 10 pm return to Miami.

2.  A day trip to Bimini? If talking about the ferry that's also 2 hours each way ..... not really a lot to see in Bimini IMO but a good place to launch a fishing or diving trip.

3.  Airboat ride ... expect 90 minute ride here as well to get into the Everglades. This is easily accomplished in a day trip but you want to research WHERE the ride will go ... the Everglades is a BIG place ...

4.  A day trip to Key Largo is 'better' so far as a one day time window than Key West IMO, but there's not much of a central entertainment area in Largo to enjoy.  Mostly it is a jumping off point for fishing or snorkeling trips. It is a good day trip from Miami to go out to Pennekamp park for a snorkel or dive trip.

5. Are you sure you don't wanna do the Miami / Miami Beach hop on/off bus? An a lil night party on Miami Beach strip?

pre-cruise relax and enjoy Miami. Take a hop-on hop off bus, a boat tour of Biscayne Bay, lots of great places to get lunch and dinner if you tell us where you are staying and what food you are looking for. Usually Cuban food and seafood are the two must. 

I would avoid Bimini day trip, look up the reviews they are terrible. A two hour boat trip in a small ferry, a few hours on a small island mostly to go to the resort and gamble, and another two hours on a small ferry. 

Key West, is 4-hours each way. So keep that in mind. If you have three-days post cruise, maybe look into doing an overnight in Key West. Key West is great, I love it. Lots of history, great food, small island feel. I love it. A very different place and the drive down is great too. 

What does he want to see in Key Largo? There is not much to see in specific sites. Its a great place to stop off for diving trip or fishing though. 

If you do Key West, rent a car and do it yourself. Go on your own schedule and look into an overnight. Say drive there the day you get off your ship. You can have the afternoon and evening in Key West. Maybe see a sight or two in the morning and then drive back up. 

But that leaves the Everglades as well of course. Will say late April it can be pretty hot already in the Everglades. I would say you should decide between the Everglades or Key West. Or if you are ready for a long day do a quick stop in the Everglades in the early morning and then head down to the Keys from there. 

If you don't need the Keys, then Everglades and Miami will keep you plenty busy. Or maybe add a day or two to your trip so you can really enjoy Key West. 

Don't do Bimini day trip. The reviews are terrible. 

We will have one full day pre-cruise and three post cruise days. 

ahhhh ... BIG difference

Rent a car and drive to Key West and stay overnight.  What most want to experience in KW happens at sundown and later ... and you probably shouldn't be driving after 'experiencing' ....  🤭

There are plenty of places you may want to stop and explore on the ride so DIY is the way to go.  Getting a convertible is tempting esp' since you are talking April (temp won't be too bad) but still be careful of the sun ... you CAN get burned in April.

And plan your drive to use Card Sound Road and visit Alabama Jacks ...... this a the Key Largo BIL wants to see.

Edited by Capt_BJ