Worth renting a car for the day?

Gregg00ss

Will be visiting Tortola for the first time in about a month with my wife and 8 yr old.  Doesn't seem like there is a ton to do other than a beach day and/or the baths.  We're not sit on the beach all day people and the baths look interesting, but I could probably live without seeing them.  I was considering renting a car and just exploring the island, maybe stop at a few beaches for a quick dip, etc...  

Is this a worthwhile adventure?  I've driven on the wrong side of the road several times before so I'm not too concerned about the driving or tight windy roads.  For anyone that has rented a car, any recommendations on companies right near the port?  I'd kind of like to rent a Jeep, but looking at some of the web pages, they don't seem to be too popular over there. So I'm not sure if that is going to be an option.  Debating if I reserve through a company now or wing and try and rent a car when we get there?

Yes renting a vehicle is a great way to experience Tortola! We’ve only rented from Jerry’s in the West End while staying on Tortola so we don’t have any experience with outfits in Road Town. But I see decent reviews for Hertz and itgo near the cruise dock. Dede is excellent if available to you. The soft-top Jeep is very common here, I would recommend that or another 4x4 vehicle, not necessarily for the 4-wheel drive, but ground clearance for some unpaved roads like Belmont to Smuggler’s Cove if you choose that. But if there has been rain there can be some wash-out on the switchbacks, or if the road surface is just wet the 4-wheel drive can give you better traction in steeper areas. Expect to pay ~$50 -60 with insurance included

There is a “spine” the length of the island and there are steep inclines like “the elevator” and a couple switchbacks to get over but really not a big deal for an experienced driver. The north shore is where most of the nicer beaches are located, but it’s nice to have a “self-guided” map showing points of interest along the way. You can find much on out of the way places to stop by googling, and the agency should give you info as well. This site has basic driving requirements -

http://www.bvivacation.com/transportation/bvi-driving-tips.php#.XQJoucopBvI

I have an itinerary I shared with friends some years ago that is still useful if you’d like that?

Edited by blue_water

Thank you for the insight.  I ended up making a reservation for a Jeep with Enterprise, so hopefully all works out well.  I think I already have your itinerary bookmarked from the post you made in Dec of last year, but always open to more feedback.  Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 8:20 AM, blue_water said:

Yes renting a vehicle is a great way to experience Tortola! We’ve only rented from Jerry’s in the West End while staying on Tortola so we don’t have any experience with outfits in Road Town. But I see decent reviews for Hertz and itgo near the cruise dock. Dede is excellent if available to you. The soft-top Jeep is very common here, I would recommend that or another 4x4 vehicle, not necessarily for the 4-wheel drive, but ground clearance for some unpaved roads like Belmont to Smuggler’s Cove if you choose that. But if there has been rain there can be some wash-out on the switchbacks, or if the road surface is just wet the 4-wheel drive can give you better traction in steeper areas. Expect to pay ~$50 -60 with insurance included

There is a “spine” the length of the island and there are steep inclines like “the elevator” and a couple switchbacks to get over but really not a big deal for an experienced driver. The north shore is where most of the nicer beaches are located, but it’s nice to have a “self-guided” map showing points of interest along the way. You can find much on out of the way places to stop by googling, and the agency should give you info as well. This site has basic driving requirements -

http://www.bvivacation.com/transportation/bvi-driving-tips.php#.XQJoucopBvI

I have an itinerary I shared with friends some years ago that is still useful if you’d like that?

I would love to see your itinerary!

This is an older post but is very basic and will get you to the nicer beaches...

Follow the south coast toward West End and take a left at the gas station on the corner of Zion Hill Road. Take that over the hill and to the end (it tees at the north coast road) where you will see a shack to the right (Bomba's Shack, but no longer open) and Sebastian's restaurant to the left. Take a left and drive past Sebastian’s and over the knoll and past the Long Bay Resort onto the unpaved road to get to Smuggler's Cove. You will also pass Nature Boy's beach bar on the way if still open, you have to park by the surfboard sign and walk down the beach to get to it if still there. Nigel is reportedly serving drinks and food at Smuggler’s but no guarantees...

Then hit Long Bay on the return drive north and I would stop to see this long, picture postcard beach. The resort is going through a change so not sure what will be going on there. For swimming it was less rocky at the east end of the beach. Great beach to watch pelicans dive...

Drive back past Sebastian’s and Zion Hill Rd along the north shore (this is Apple snd Carrot Bays) and you will soon see the Sugar Mill Resort on the right. You will head up Windy Hill Road which has a couple switchbacks where you should use your horn to let any oncoming cars know you are coming. Part-way up at a switchback you will find the Bananakeet at Heritage Inn (keep a sharp lookout!) where you can enjoy a spectacular, panoramic view of Apple, Carrot, Cappon's and Long Bays along with Sandy Spit, JVD, and the USVI. If the bar is open their signature drink, the Bananakeet, is delicious. Chris has passed unfortunately, but if Bonky is there he can give you ideas for your tour.

From there you can continue up and then follow the sign to go down the other side of the hill to CGB for a visit. Grab a CD from Quito's to give you some great Tortola music to drive to. If you haven't had lunch yet I would have recommended Tony's place (originally Stanley's Welcome Bar where the palm tree with the tire swing was immortalized) for one of the best burgers on the island. But no longer an option so Myett’s/Pusser’s would be a good choice for lunch.

Then continue north and you can stop at Nicole’s Beach Bar and see beautiful Brewers Bay (or rougherJosiah's further on), or just head on to Long Bay (Beef Island) and Trellis Bay if you have time. Long Bay (Beef) is gorgeous and was quiet but has now been developed for cruise ship passengers. There is a great pottery shop in Trellis and the Cyber Cafe has a good grilled snapper sandwich. You can then drive the southeast coast back to RT.

There are many spots to stop for the views or drinks and lunch, and your rental outfit or driver can give you better info as some are no longer in business. But a great way to enjoy Tortola and you will want to return for a longer stay. The BVI forum on TTOL (traveltalkonline.com) is also an excellent resource for ideas and rental agency advice. 

Have fun!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 8:27 AM, Gregg00ss said:

Thank you for the insight.  I ended up making a reservation for a Jeep with Enterprise, so hopefully all works out well.  I think I already have your itinerary bookmarked from the post you made in Dec of last year, but always open to more feedback.  Thanks for the help.

When are you cruising?  I've made the same Ressie (Enterprise/Jeep) for a cruise in August.  Happy to share my experience (if I'm headed there first) and would love to hear yours.

15 hours ago, Gregg00ss said:

We head out the 13th of this month, so guess I'll be sharing our experience, lol.  

Oh Wow, have SO much fun.  I'd love to hear back from you with any pointers re: the rental process, cool places to hit, etc.  Are you following BlueWater's driving tour?

And there are other points of interest that I’m sure I’m missing and you can discover as you drive, this route is just highlighting the beautiful beaches and a couple points of interest. If someone just wanted a relaxing day away from the crowds with a beach and/or snorkeling and a restaurant I would suggest a taxi to Trellis Bay and ferry to Marina Cay. But Tortola is a beautiful island with spectacular views from the mountain and a drive is a great way to get to know her! Hope you both enjoy your visit and can return for a longer stay...

2 hours ago, blue_water said:

And there are other points of interest that I’m sure I’m missing and you can discover as you drive, this route is just highlighting the beautiful beaches and a couple points of interest. If someone just wanted a relaxing day away from the crowds with a beach and/or snorkeling and a restaurant I would suggest a taxi to Trellis Bay and ferry to Marina Cay. But Tortola is a beautiful island with spectacular views from the mountain and a drive is a great way to get to know her! Hope you both enjoy your visit and can return for a longer stay...

Thank you again! We'll be taking our beach day and the ferry over to St. John so are up to a fun adventure while on Tortola.  Also, we live at the beach so it's never really too high on our list.  My daughter loves all things relating to animals.  Are there any animal adventures/cool things to visit you might recommend (on Tortola, St. Thomas, San Juan or Nassau)?

The only idea I have for Tortola is a visit to the humane society, the facility was badly-damaged by Irma and Maria but they have rebuilt and may welcome visitors. Other than the famous snorkel spots I don’t know of any animal adventure-type things, sorry. Perhaps someone on your roll call who has been to Tortola recently would have an idea?

For St Thomas check our Coral World on Coki Beach to see it that sounds like anything you would want -

https://coralworldvi.com/

6 hours ago, blue_water said:

The only idea I have for Tortola is a visit to the humane society, the facility was badly-damaged by Irma and Maria but they have rebuilt and may welcome visitors. Other than the famous snorkel spots I don’t know of any animal adventure-type things, sorry. Perhaps someone on your roll call who has been to Tortola recently would have an idea?

For St Thomas check our Coral World on Coki Beach to see it that sounds like anything you would want -

https://coralworldvi.com/

Thanks so much:-)

On 7/3/2019 at 12:54 PM, seagunthera said:

Oh Wow, have SO much fun.  I'd love to hear back from you with any pointers re: the rental process, cool places to hit, etc.  Are you following BlueWater's driving tour?

For the most part.  Gonna do some geocaching along the way and stop at some of the popular beaches.  Depending on time frame we'll decide what route we'll take back to the ship.

• 4 weeks later...

So we're back, been back for almost a month now, and had a great time.  Finding the rental kiosk was pretty easy.  Once you dock you'll see a large gray building which is a government building.  The hotel where the car rental place is next door to that building, to the left of it if looking at the building from the water.  So just head that direction and you'll find it pretty easy.  

Had no issues at Enterprise, filled out all the paperwork and off I went.  I opted for every insurance they had and think total was $105.  Was given a red Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with 18,000 miles on it.  Jeep was in great shape and had ice cold A/C, absolutely no complaints with it.

Driving in Tortola is interesting to say the least.  People can talk about steep roads and sharp hair-pin curves all they want, it's another to experience it.  I've driven a lot of places, and these were some STEEP roads, holy crap.  Never felt unsafe, but the roads and curves were so steep that I did need 4wd once to get up the hill on a paved road after it rained.  Several other times I left it in 2wd and just spun the tires as I slowly inched forward until it got traction.  

If you don't have it, I'd recommend the maps.me app for your phone.  I've used it in several countries and you can download maps for the countries/areas you will be visiting which will provide you with maps of the area which you can use for navigating without having internet service.  I set up waypoints at all of the beaches I wanted to stop at and let the app route me.  

First stop was Smuggler's Cove Beach and this was the only hiccup with the mapping software.  It tried to route me along Sir Francis Drake Highway all the way around the tip of the island and back to the beach.  The map shows the road going around, but it turns into private property and might be a trail at best, so had to back track.  Think we took Zion Hill Rd across to the other side of the island and then to Smuggler's Cove Beach.  Was happy to have the Jeep as a good portion of the way to the beach was dirt road with ruts.  Other than that small portion heading to the beach, the rest of our travels on the island were paved.  

We traveled along North Coast Road, passing Cane Garden Bay & Brewer's Bay.  We then took Ridge Road inland up into the hills .  Think we took Great Mountain Rd back down into town.  By the time we got back to civilization traffic was crazy in town.  Was a bit of a challenge to find a gas station, so would recommend stopping at the first one you find once you get back into town if you are planning on dropping off the car shortly thereafter.  Believe it cost $20 to fill up.  All in all we only had the Jeep for 3 hours, which was enough time to drive around at a leisurely pace.  We wanted to get some lunch in town and parking is hard to come by so we opted to drop the Jeep off as soon as we got back into town and walked to the restaurant.  

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll post some pictures once I get home and can access them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad you enjoyed your day seeing Tortola!

Yes some of the roads are quite steep, especially driving back over the spine and down Joe’s Hill via “the Elevator”! That’s why I suggest continuing on to the East End and Beef Island, and then back to Road Town. But as long as you never felt unsafe that’s great. And yes, a 4x4 is definitely (highly) recommended for more secluded areas, as well as steeper paved wet roads. There can be mud/debris runoff in heavier storms...

And crossing over to the north shore road via Zion Hill Rd  prevents you from wasting time, unless you wanted to see Soper’s Hole, of course. You can take the “scenic route” from West End back to Belmont and Smuggler’s if you are more adventurous, but would not recommend that to a first-time visitor. The “road” from WE to SC is very rough, and if a vehicle comes from the other direction one of you has to back up to a slightly wider spot so the other can pass. With a rental that will probably be you...

How did you like Smuggler’s Cove? Did you stop at CGB and Brewers Bay?

Thanks!