Munich to Nuremberg Lufthansa connection/Viking cruise

bobchico

Our Viking cruise air has us flying ORD to MUC then fly LH to Nuremberg to meet our ship. We are coming in one day prior to sailing.   The connection time in MUC is approx 1.5 hours.  Is that enough time for our luggage to make the connection also?  Has anyone had this routing?  Any comments?

Munich is generally regarded as an excellent airport for connections. 90 minutes is about twice the minimum connection time for Munich so assuming planes are on time, you will have no issues. Odds are that your luggage will make it to the flight before you. When we were coming back from our Rhine cruise last spring, we had about 50 minutes in Munich to connect from our flight from Basel to Chicago. While we certainly hustled, I don't think it took us more than 25-30 minutes to get from a remote jetway, via bus, to our gate. 

It also looks like there are several flights between MUC and NUE. I assume they put you on the first one in the morning (perhaps at or around 8:40am)? The next flight out would be at 1:15 and while waiting around in an airport is a crummy way to start a vacation, at least you won't be stuck overnight. 

Layover for us at Munich to Budapest seemed to fly by. No customs to worry about as we were going to leave Germany. There seemed barely enough time to shop or eat before we were queued for departure. Bags were there when we landed in Budapest. Arrived Munich 12:45 Left for Budapest 2:50

Munich guarantees 30 min for connections. Don´t worry!

But actually it doesn´t really make sense to fly from Munich to Nuremberg - it´s a train ride of 1 hour (o.k. you need 45 min to get from the airport to the central station).

steamboats

• Like 1

I am really surprised that MUC non-Schengen to Schengen allowed connect time would be 30 minutes. Arriving in MUC with an onward flight within Schengen you have to clear immigration and get your Schengen entry stamp. Unless things have changed since the last time I was in MUC you are then dumped outside of the gate security area and have to reenter through security. Even though Customs will be at your destination airport, not at MUC, I would think it next to impossible to do immigration, security and walking from and to the gates in 30 minutes. OP’s 90 minutes is probably doable IF the flight is on time, but I would definitely have a Pan B. 

Edited by TravelerThom

@TravelerThom transit passengers do not leave the security area at Munich Airport. And they do use a different passport control than those who have their final destination in Munich. It´s pretty efficent and if a flight is delayed you are picked up at the plane by a mini bus which gets you to your connection (and even a separate passport control).

This said I talk about connections within the airline alliance (and MUC is a major LH Star Alliance hub). There can be only one problem in case the connection to Nuremberg is with Eurowings. Since June 1st Eurowings does move to terminal 1 while all other Star Alliance flights are at terminal 2. So you have to connect to the other terminal building. There´s a bus connecting the terminals (see here).

steamboats

(MUC is my "home" airport)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

@TravelerThom transit passengers do not leave the security area at Munich Airport. And they do use a different passport control than those who have their final destination in Munich. It´s pretty efficent and if a flight is delayed you are picked up at the plane by a mini bus which gets you to your connection (and even a separate passport control).

I only use MUC occasionally and it sounds as if it has become much more efficient than it used to be. April 2010 we were doing a LH on-line IAD-MUC-TXL connection and despite our incoming flight being on-time we almost missed our connecting flight due to a backup in security; on the other hand the checked bag did not arrive with us in TXL and when it was delivered to the hotel the handle had been ripped off. When we called LH we were told that we had to submit a claim within 2 weeks AND IT HAD TO BE SUBMITTED IN OUR HOME COUNTRY (USA), despite the fact that we were in Germany, the bag was in Germany, and LH was in Germany and we would not be back in the US for 3 weeks; so much for German efficiency. 😒

Separately, do you know if FRA is supposed to have any sort of expedited connections in association with late flights? We were booked on LH for OPO-FRA-PHL with 3h15m in FRA. The plane left the OPO gate right on time, but after taxi we were met on the tarmac by mechanics who spent 3 hours working on one of the engines (I have no issue with safety first). The advice from both the flight attendant and the incoming gate agent was “RUN” which we did, but the gate for the PHL flight had closed when we got there. We did get food vouchers, hotel accommodation and 600Euro each on EU 261/2004 claim (only after submitting twice and receiving a rather snotty letter that we don’t have to do this but out of the generosity of our heart we will - what B.S.), but it would have been much more efficient (and cheaper for LH) to have expedited our connection.  

@TravelerThom,  FRA is an absolute nightmare and I don´t  book any flights with less than 2 hours connection time. I´m not sure but as far as I remember FRA guarantees a 45 min connection time. But flying back to the US you definitely have to go through security again.

MUC is actually one of the best airports in Europe. Very efficent (unless it´s your final destination than it feels that it takes forever until your bags are delivered).

I had problems with broken suitcases but as there is a LH repair shop here in Munich it´s pretty easy for me.

steamboats

Steamboats . . . Sometimes security isn't required in FRA when transiting to the US.

We flew LIS-FRA-PHL on LH in early March this year. Walked directly from one gate to the other without going through security. We also lucked out and came into a gate rather than a bus stop which was a first for us in FRA on an intraEuropean flight.

Seems to change... I think my last flight via FRA was in 2017 and there was still an extra security at FRA for connecting flights to the US. But I think currently there isn´t any extra security in MUC either. Lines at passport control were pretty long too in FRA.

steamboats

Our last several trips through FRA were very short, quick moving lines through passport control. The biggest time "waster" was the long walks. It almost seems like you go from one end of the terminal on one level and then back the same way on another level. But it's less stressful than transferring in either LHR or CDG.

I´ve never transited in LHR so far (usually I fly there to go to Southampton). But I totally agree, CDG is a complete mess! I had 2 1/2 hours for transit including passport control and security and I made it to the gate at the beginning of the official boarding time.

Unfortunaltey I always had long lines for passport control in FRA plus the long walks. But it´s definitely less stressful than CDG. MUC is even less stressful although we always complain when the luggage needs more time than we think it should need (luxury world problem).

steamboats

Gee, I don't mind transiting through CDG at all. We have done it a lot and have it down to a science. It's always been fairly quick IME. They have a website which tells you exactly how to connect between terminals. Must be we're lucky but we have probably gone though CDG 10 times in the past few years without an issue.

Frankfurt isn't too bad either; just flew home from there a few weeks ago, though admittedly we have never connected there. We usually fly in or out, and connect to a train. My biggest gripe is that the SkyTeam lounge is before security. I'd rather get through security then relax in the lounge.

@jpalbny I arrived at 2F. Extreme long lines at passport control. I was lucky that I am EU citizen and had the "short" line. Only 2 out of 5 passport machines did work so finally the opened up the line and lead us to a human passport control. Next stop shuttle bus bleu to 2A. The first bus was already packed so I got into the second one. 2A is the last stop on the route and the driver wasn´t in a hurry at all. Then I had to walk the whole terminal building to the utmost end. I´m walking fast and I only had a short restroom stop on the way. But my gate was A37 at the very end... I had more time when I had my stopover in LAX including immigration (I was on Air Tahiti Nui which is a direct flight to Papeete but not non stop and therefore stops in LAX for refueling).

steamboats

Steamboats, that sounds most unpleasant. Hopefully I don't experience that any time soon. FWIW we almost always transfer back and forth between 2E and 2F. We went from 2E to 2D a few weeks ago (first time doing that) and it was also fairly efficient. But I guess it's always a gamble. 

On June 15, 2019 at 2:12 AM, steamboats said:

I´ve never transited in LHR so far (usually I fly there to go to Southampton). But I totally agree, CDG is a complete mess! I had 2 1/2 hours for transit including passport control and security and I made it to the gate at the beginning of the official boarding time.

Unfortunaltey I always had long lines for passport control in FRA plus the long walks. But it´s definitely less stressful than CDG. MUC is even less stressful although we always complain when the luggage needs more time than we think it should need (luxury world problem).

steamboats

Perhaps it only seems like a longer wait for luggage because the rest of the airport is efficient and stress free?  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Perhaps it only seems like a longer wait for luggage because the rest of the airport is efficient and stress free?  😉

Seems like transit passengers have priority in MUC...

steamboats

@hcross888 Check your connection to Munich. Although you might have an LH flight number it might be operated by another airline. But you´re definitely o.k. as long as it´s not Eurowings. And even with Eurowings 90 min should be more than o.k. in Munich. Passport control at Terminal 2 Gates H is easy.

steamboats

• Like 1

• 1 month later...