NCL Joy problem ?

bones774

I'm trying to find out what problems occurred with the Joy while it was based in China. I've tried doing some internet searches with negative results. Everyone here seems to be dancing around the problem trying to be so PC. Thanks

1 hour ago, bones774 said:

I'm trying to find out what problems occurred with the Joy while it was based in China. I've tried doing some internet searches with negative results. Everyone here seems to be dancing around the problem trying to be so PC. Thanks

This article suggests some general reasons - not specific to the Joy.

6 minutes ago, dides said:

This article suggests some general reasons - not specific to the Joy.

Thank you. I read that article and understand those problems. I thought that some of the problems were "cultural" differences, I did not see that addressed at all, and maybe that problem was more specific to the Joy.

I don't know if it contributed to the decision to move the ship out of China, but the end of this video talks a bit about how the cruise experience was affected by the passengers themselves being primarily mainland Chinese:

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I don't know if it contributed to the decision to move the ship out of China, but the end of this video talks a bit about how the cruise experience was affected by the passengers themselves being primarily mainland Chinese:

Ha, was just about to link to Bob's video (we met him and his wife on the Edge last December)

49 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Yeah, that's what I wanted to read about thanks

I just posted about this elsewhere. Weird.

Here are a couple of articles that you can Google for what happened with the Joy on it's previous deployment. Read carefully, and think slightly laterally, as these are highly sanitised versions of what was going on from what I have read elsewhere:

International cruise companies pull out of China, but some still see market potential

Overseas cruise operators leave China after misreading market

Angry Chinese tourists stage another noisy ‘patriotic’ protest after fog forces cruise ship to stay in port

There are others, but I don't have time to go looking for them for you. One in particular referred to  coffee machines being stolen and posted home, one woman who proudly said that she was attempting to eat her own body weight on a three day cruise, fighting in the buffet lines, spitting on the carpet, and people lining up outside the cafe at 6.00am so they could be first through the door. Apparently NCL put out little cards asking people to only take what food that they planned to actually eat, as there was so much wastage. According to the article the little signs were largely ignored. Verbal abuse of staff was also mentioned. The bottom line was there was allegedly a lot of unacceptable behaviour, and the ship wasn't profitable.

Here are some other interesting video's/articles:

Chinese tourists pig out at buffet in Thailand, criticized as wasteful - TomoNews

‘Please just go’: Chinese tourists asked to leave Osaka restaurant

Chinese tourist clearing out BBQ super fast in vietnam lol ! part 1

Tourists Behaving Badly: Name-and-Shame Effort Fails to Fix China’s Image

New rules to help Chinese tourists behave well

They aren't specific to the Joy in any way, but would seem to be indicative of a wider problem, and perhaps give context.

Note: Before anyone flames me, I am just reporting what I read. Like I said, Google it yourself.

• Thanks 1