Is LFK still a good option for Roatan?

nydney1

We went to LFK several years ago and thought it was fantastic. 

I know there have been some issues with the animals and a fire, but in the last few months there has been very little talk about LFK on the boards good or bad.

We are scheduled to go back in October. Is LKF still a good option? Can I get some input from anyone that has been there recently.

I have been there many times and absolutely love it there. However...there is a lot of recent (over the last 2-3 weeks) activity that is not so good going on over there, which would scare me. The owner and his gf was arrested (he claims wrongly and falsely accused by his ex wife and she is scheming with higher authorities to take him down so that she can take back LFK). There have been a lot of pictures and videos of the day that this happened (with his ex wife in them and even a fight that broke out and a lady that knocked out a rather large man...stone cold knocked out too) ...and it would just not make me feel comfortable with the government and him battling at this time (well, for several years now). 

Although I have heard many people say that they would never conduct something like this during the time the cruisers are there because of fear of losing business in Roatan (and most raids have been during the middle of the night with the exception of this last time clearly being during the daylight hours), I personally feel differently about it and think that it would happen (if they are truly trying to get people to stop going there due to it taking away from other businesses) while cruisers are there to scare the cruise community into ever going there again. Just my opinion though...

I really hate that this is happening to both the owner (which is an extremely nice and caring man) and LFK. It truly is paradise there. 😞

Thanks for the info both of you. 

I have ave read allot of Mitsugirly’s reviews and respect her opinion. I will also look them up on trip advisor. I was aware of the spat with local authorities but was not of how serious it has become.

i really appreciate the information.

On 6/18/2019 at 8:56 PM, rosebud1g said:

So if you were to book would shore excursioneer be a better way to book???

I am going in August to Roatan on a RC ship.

If you are booking LFK, you should book directly with them. They pick you up at port and drop you back off and they have their own employees that do this, not contracting with a taxi service or anything. 

On 6/20/2019 at 10:24 PM, nydney1 said:

The wife is still set on LFK so unless something drastic happens we will probably still give it another try.

Have a great time either way. It's such a beautiful place. I'm in no way trying to deter anyone from going, just putting the facts out there of the current situation so that people can make their own decisions. I follow everything that goes on over there because I absolutely love the place, but there just seems to be a little too much happening over the last few years and up until recently that I personally am picking a different place to go this time around. 

3 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

If you are booking LFK, you should book directly with them. They pick you up at port and drop you back off and they have their own employees that do this, not contracting with a taxi service or anything. 

Have a great time either way. It's such a beautiful place. I'm in no way trying to deter anyone from going, just putting the facts out there of the current situation so that people can make their own decisions. I follow everything that goes on over there because I absolutely love the place, but there just seems to be a little too much happening over the last few years and up until recently that I personally am picking a different place to go this time around. 

Things may change before October. I respect your opinion so we may choose a different option as we get closer.