Left over wine

Marronnier

I understand that "left over wine " is a concept some people are unfamilar with (😂) but should it happen that only part of the bottle is drunk at one meal I know that the somelier will keep the remainder of the bottle for another meal. My question is if the wine was originally order say in the MDR can it be retrieved to be drank in say one of the specialty restaurants and vice versa; or will it only be available in the restaurant it was orginally ordered in.

Thanks for any information.

26 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

I think they can retrieve your wine and deliver it wherever. It's marked with your name and stateroom. You may need to know your normal table number.

We had a wine package last year. Our sommelier brought out my bottle of port towards the end of our meal every night. We also had half finished bottles of wine now and then which were kept for the next lunch or dinner.

We asked in one of the bars if we could use our vouchers to buy wine, but were told that it could only be done when the restaurants were open as our sommelier had to be involved. Presumably, it's the same with part finished bottles. 

Stewart

5 hours ago, Marronnier said:

I understand that "left over wine " is a concept some people are unfamilar with (😂) but should it happen that only part of the bottle is drunk at one meal I know that the somelier will keep the remainder of the bottle for another meal. My question is if the wine was originally order say in the MDR can it be retrieved to be drank in say one of the specialty restaurants and vice versa; or will it only be available in the restaurant it was orginally ordered in.

Thanks for any information.

To answer your question, Yes. ( not only part opened bottles but any wine from a wine package )   However, to save yourself and the crew member any hassle, you will need to pre arrange the transfer ( either with your sommelier or the restaurant MD) well before you arrive at your chosen speciality dining venue.

Assuming you are dining in the evening, then it's ideal to pre arrange the transfer when the main dining room is open , eg at lunch time, otherwise you could be sitting there for ages , whilst a junior crew member goes off to retrieve your wine, which could be at the other end of the ship.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bell Boy provided excellent advice.  The wine can be transferred, but there are lots of tables, and lots of passengers.  So do what you can to facilitate the transfer and you will be pleased with the result.

Couldn't you just leave it for the night and order a new bottle instead ? So say you had your left over wine in the MDR on Monday night, eat somewhere else on Tuesday (and have a new bottle) and finish of Monday night's bottle back in the MDR on Wednesday night.

Then you run the risk of (a) TWO partially-used bottles of wine and/or (b) a two-day old partial bottle, which is pushing it in many cases.

I felt that the Cunard-label Cab, which is a reasonable choice for the cost, suffered on the second night.