Marella Explorer 2 review

On 7/1/2019 at 12:41 PM, davecttr said:

Apparently Naples has been bonded for the homeward flight but the airport can't handle the peak passenger flow on inbound flights, not enough staff apparently and TUI won't pay for more. Bonding the inbound luggage as well should solve that problem and no more 2 hour waits at baggage claim.

Has anyone that has experienced the problems at Naples contacted Tui after travel? I have contacted the pre travel section re the problems passengers are posting about and will report back with any replies 🤞

Just back from Discovery and Braximusic arrived in Dubrovnik on Wednesday They did a fabulous show that night and will definitely be on this week (Max is doing the Passenger choir) Unfortunately my favourite CD Gavin Carroll is leaving and will be on Disc 2 next week

Don't see much point in contacting Marella about Naples Airport as it would appear that the many issues have come about due to the airport not being able to cope with so many passengers, their luggage, and their transportation needs.

It probably goes back to the initial contract/agreement made between Marella and/or the parent company Tui and the airport authorities. One or both parties must have agreed T and Cs which were simply not viable. You have to wonder if either or both sides were aware of this when the terms were agreed, and if so, why did they go ahead?

It may be that some Marella passengers didn't experience any issues at all, which makes us wonder if there are certain times of day or even days of the week where everything operates as it should, and if this is the case, then changing flight timings might make a difference.

Re bonded luggage.  Good luck with that.  We had confusion at Glasgow check-in about whether or not luggage had to be collected at Naples or not. Nobody could give a definitive answer. A few minutes before landing, one of the cabin crew announced that regardless of what we may or may not have been told, all hold luggage was definitely to be collected. There was a long wait in the baggage hall, followed by the very long walk to the coaches.

Arriving at the airport for the return flight, coaches were held back for over an hour with nobody allowed to enter the terminal. Have to assume it was already crowded.

We were held in the "bus to aircraft" area with most standing for over an hour. No explanations given for anything. Again, assume because it was the only area available to accommodate us.

When we finally boarded, our luggage was being loaded. 1hour40 minutes delay.

The Captain (or First Officer) came into the cabin to announce on the PA system the reason for the delay. Turns out that the flight into Naples was on time, but there was a passenger needing assistance to leave the aircraft. Nobody from ground staff came despite repeated requests.  They waited over an hour until assistance arrived.  Naples Airport does not allow refuelling if there are passengers onboard so that was delayed until the assistance arrived.  They could also not load luggage when refuelling.

So, all the delay, the discomfort and the frustration came about because no ground staff could assist with unloading one passenger. It is called "the domino effect".

Think of the extra costs to have an aircraft sitting that long, and the knock-on effect when it arrived late into Glasgow.

The problem is nine TUI flights in a tight few hours, the ship sails 4/5pm so they have no   time options on flights - British airports are mainly day flights so again not a lot they can do. Like most have said ' Bonded Luggage ' both ways is probably the answer. I feel sure TUI are fully aware of the problems at Naples Airport, and realise travellers will just not book holidays/cruises involving this airport.

When I expressed my doubts,a few weeks ago,on bonding at Naples,I never dreamt it would be this bad.The mafia run most things down South,so I wouldn't be surprised that not enough palms were greased,lol.