Coffee quality on HAL/Nieuw Amsterdam-- inquiring minds....

zentraveler

On 6/16/2019 at 10:03 AM, zentraveler said:

Is the coffee on these ships really that bad?

It depends... I like a good, strong cup with character and I have no complaints about what I get in the morning in the Lido or brewed in the Exploration Cafe. We've also had room service coffee and I can't remember NOT drinking it but it didn't leave an impression one way or the other.

It's so funny.  I came across this article today... and then I saw this thread.  From this article you would think HAL was really into coffee and had a really good cup available all over the ship... Sadly, this isn't true, but check this out:

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Holland-America-Line-to-sell-its-own-branded-coffee

11 hours ago, VegasRealtor said:

I actually like the coffee served at the lido so I found out the brand they use (it’s not syrup but regular ground coffee). It’s Beukenhorst and comes in 2 lb bags - decaf and regular. I order a couple bags at a time from the distributor in Florida - 561-514-3559. Ask for Robin.

Thanks, you and @Lido deck main-- I stand corrected. I have certainly drunk my share of Lido coffee as too lazy to run around to the Exploration Cafe. Got spoiled on Zuiderdam with the SBP and many sea days -- the EC is now part of the Crows Nest and we would move there after a late breakfast, have one or two lattes, and segue into boat drinks without moving (except to better seats)!

That's fun to think of serving your own cruise ship coffee at home. Helps with the home-sick-for-HAL!

Good to know!

For years I have had my morning brew in my Westerdam mug. Dh had it made for me for my birthday years and years ago. It has a lovely picture of her tied up at Grand Turk pier, that lovely blue hull set off by the unbelievably turquoise water in the background. He has replaced it a few times now due to fading and breakage. Now, I just need me some of that HAL coffee to go in her. Next cruise! :classic_biggrin:

I drink my coffee black and admit that I am not overly fussy.  If I think that it is bad, it is really bad, either excessively bitter or weak.

If the buffet coffee seems a bit strong, I will add a little hot water to bring to a more agreeable strength.

On 6/16/2019 at 2:07 PM, fatcat04 said:

We ordered a large pot from room service

Where the room service card asks for a quantity for each item, how do you indicate a large pot?  Thank you. 

11 minutes ago, LF23 said:

Where the room service card asks for a quantity for each item, how do you indicate a large pot?  Thank you. 

The pot comes in one size and is equal to four of the cups they provide.

With regard to taste... I like strong coffee and the room service coffee was fine.  It wasn’t great but it’s not bad either.  I will usually go to Explorations for an Americano with an extra shot.

59 minutes ago, LF23 said:

I was ordering for 4 people so I put 4 in the box. I don't know if they have coffee pots for say single cruisers but the one we always get is tall and full. I had to be super careful pouring that first cup. You can also always write in requests on your breakfast cards too. The staff do their best to accommodate your desires. 

I've been on 10 HAL cruises and normally i drink a cup of coffee every day.  I absolutely do not care for the coffee in the Lido and MDR.  It has a bad taste.  The only exception to that is when i order room service.  My husband thinks it is fine but I don't.  

I've been on nine HAL cruises over the years. I'm also a lover of espresso and strong coffee (I have a Nespresso-brand espresso machine at home that I use every morning). If you truly like good coffee, you won't like what they serve in either the Lido or the MDR. What I do is stop at the Explorations Cafe on the way to breakfast and get my coffee beverage of choice and bring it with me to the table. Unless you have the beverage package, you'll have to pay for it but it's worth it.

A quick P.S.:

I love HAL and don't mean to single them out for criticism. In general, MDR and buffet coffees are bad on all cruise lines. My wife and I have been on three Silversea cruises (ultra-luxury, or so they claim), and I have had to do the same routine I do on HAL. Oceania has a wonderful coffee bar called Barista's (included in the cruise fare for all guests) that has the best espresso drinks I've ever had, but there, too, the MDR and buffet coffee is poor.

The bottom line seems to be that there's good coffee somewhere on every ship, but you've got to figure out where it is.

9 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

The bottom line seems to be that there's good coffee somewhere on every ship, but you've got to figure out where it is.

True, mass produced coffee is often meh wherever you get it.

On Costa many years ago we were in a suite and cappuccinos came with room service breakfast. That was a nice touch and a great way to start the day. 

11 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I will usually go to Explorations for an Americano with an extra shot.

Miss G, you gave me this hint on a previous thread and I’ll be forever grateful. Thanks.