Spoon Food Tours photo review

Merion_Mom

I love walking food tours.  I have done sanjuanfoodtours.com several times, and was ready to see what else was out there.  I think that I like spoonfoodtours.com even more!

For this tour, the meeting place was the Plaza Quinto Centenario, which overlooks El Morro, the beautiful fort that you see as you sail into San Juan.  This is the Totem Pole which honors the indigenous people of the island.

IMG_3126[1].JPG

IMG_3129[1].JPG

First stop, Cafe Don Ruiz in the courtyard of the 17th century building which houses, among other things, the Museum of the Americas.  (Museo de las Americas)

I am not a coffee drinker, but this was delicious.  The accompanying pastry is the local specialty, the Mallorca.

IMG_3130[1].JPG

IMG_3133[1].JPG

Then we stopped at a little place,  whose name I forget, for a little honey-coated pastry.  My tour companions forgot to remind me to take a picture!  😮

Then we went to Deaverdura, which specializes in freshness.  The menu is only posted on a blackboard, because it changes every day based on what the cook finds at the market the day before.

This is a typical meal of beans, rice, and pork.  (there was a vegan on our tour, and she was treated kindly and well  at every stop)

We had our choice of fresh juices.  I had tamarind, which was YUMMY.

IMG_3142[1].JPG

IMG_3145[1].JPG

IMG_3143[1].JPG

IMG_3144[1].JPG

At Hecho en Casa (which means homemade), we had the famous mofongo, "the"  dish of Puerto Rico.

I should have mentioned that before we started, everywhere we stopped, in between stops, and at in each restaurant, our guide Yare talked about history, culture, local customs, people and, of course, the food.  She was wonderful.

IMG_3148[1].JPG

Our final  stop was Senor Paleta, which is San Juan's "premier" ice popsicle place.  There are so many flavors, and they are all intriguing.  Even if you don't do a food tour, go here.  It's  right by a great overlook of the harbor, and it's near the Parque de las Palomas. 

IMG_3149[1].JPG

IMG_3151[1].JPG

IMG_3152[1].JPG

• 3 weeks later...