Last minute 6/23 Escape to Bermuda

graphicguy

Glad you had a great time!  How was your Excursion? Catamaran?

I paid to see Choir of Man when it was still in the Supper Club.  They are amazing!

I agree with you about After Midnight...very talented, but...

Ditto on outside decks with cocktail in hand!  5 o'clock bar on Waterfront checked all the boxes for me 🙂

Thoroughly enjoyed your review and glad you got to/from home safely (albeit some hiccups) 🙂

• Thanks 1

Love those pictures of Hamilton & the waterfront.  The upgraded unlimited satellite WiFi onboard the Escape worked for you (as it did for us on our 15 days) but sometimes, other CC'ers reported poor or bad connectivity, results varied as it is shared bandwidth.

Is the Golden Octaves band & singer still performing on the Escape ... we loved them when they played almost nightly in the atrium, often to standing room crowds - even with extra chairs set out for the overflow - and since moved up to the main theater.  

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 1:34 PM, graphicguy said:

So, talking to my boss during our Monday debrief from the week before, the topic of time off came up.  My boss said since I hadn’t taken any, the window was closing to get any preferred time I may want (meaning, with conferences, trade shows, etc, I would be booked until Sept).  Off the cuff, I said, how about next week.  Fine with him.

The question became, what to do?  I’ve booked last minute before, but never less than a week until departure.  Sure enough, looking at RCCL, CCL, NCL and Celebrity, I could actually see some availability with all of them for next week.  The difference, pricing for all of them was a bit over what I thought it should be.

I was in the Bahamas in February.  I’ve been all over the Caribbean.  Even though I have been to Bermuda (which I dearly love), it’s been a few years.  My TA (who has all of my records) mentioned that the Escape was going to Bermuda next week.  But, it was on the Escape, which I sailed in Feb to the Bahamas.  Loved the ship, however.

I love balconies, but have sailed solo cabins, and was willing to look at those.  Still, with 3 overnights in Bermuda, it’s really nice to sit on your balcony after a day’s activities and just look at the beautiful area.

There were some solo cabins left, but there were only GTY balcony cabins left.  Have never done a GTY cabin, but looking at what some of you had said, I thought...”hey, give it a shot”.  I’d be a solo (once again), which I seem to be doing a lot of lately.

What is a Gty balcony?

On 6/17/2019 at 1:34 PM, graphicguy said:

Welllll, I’m booked in a balcony GTY cabin, as of noon EDT today and have no idea where it will be or what kind of balcony it will be.  I may not know until Sunday.  Who knows?  I may even look at some 

Anyway, I’ll post here on what I find out as far as my cabin is concerned as well as give a pic review once I’m underway.

Now, I have to find the M&G to sign up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Love those pictures of Hamilton & the waterfront.  The upgraded unlimited satellite WiFi onboard the Escape worked for you (as it did for us on our 15 days) but sometimes, other CC'ers reported poor or bad connectivity, results varied as it is shared bandwidth.

Is the Golden Octaves band & singer still performing on the Escape ... we loved them when they played almost nightly in the atrium, often to standing room crowds - even with extra chairs set out for the overflow - and since moved up to the main theater.  

Henry...I don’t think the Golden Octaves are still on board....at least I never saw them.

I heard some on board bemoan their internet speed/connections.  While I’m not an expert, I tried to help them.  Sometimes it was just a matter of logging off and logging back in.  Other times, I suggested they contact the internet desk.

Personally, I was pleased with the speeds and connectivity.  NCL keeps getting better and better with their internet on at least the ships I’ve sailed the last year to year and a half.

I certainly had enough bandwidth to post part of my review live.

11 hours ago, 1bets1 said:

What is a Gty balcony?

You’re GUARANTEED (GTY) AT LEAST a balcony cabin, but you can’t choose which one.  The rates are less expensive than finding and booking a specific balcony cabin.  And often have a few or all the “perks” NCL has been offering for awhile.

I fount it to be a particularly good deal.

Hopefully, it’s clear from my pics that the ship did not feel crowded at all.  It wasn’t.  With ~5,000 people on board, and it being a mega ship, that’s saying something.

In addition, it was quite easy to take a straight shot from the Aft elevators to the Forward elevators.  Everything was pretty accessible.

These were the sights right as you disembark in Bermuda.

Someone asked about the Catamaran excursion.  It was fun.  Weather was perfect.

Actually, all I did was lay there on the netting. I swam a little. Drank a little.  Lounged a bit more...swam a bit more....drank a bit more...and then, all too soon, we were finished.

Unfortunately, I forgot my GoPro Knockoff in the cabin and don’t have any pics or movies of the excursion.....  😞

0E912A49-E1B9-4017-B8F0-D7869EE934BA.jpeg

875D5604-26E6-4DD2-AF1B-DF81599E249B.jpeg

3B8BEF30-E1D5-4CAF-9BAA-320B362676F8.jpeg

1D5A4A9E-5372-46C8-8458-7F27AEE34D6F.jpeg

More fort/mansion pics.....inside was outlined a fairly expansive history of the slave trade (the inhumanity was devastating), the Portuguese influx, their ties to Britain (the British wanted to keep an eye on the colonists after losing the War of Independence.....saved that last part particularly for today), the currency’s move from the British pound to ties with the U.S. Dollar, and the rise of the tourist trade.  I probably spent 3 hours just looking around the fort.

6378EDE1-9F04-4716-8E11-6F0B0BABD8F8.jpeg

7823B6A2-6755-4948-88ED-170558593748.jpeg

3A0A1DE2-7E4A-4787-AAE7-211175ACAAD3.jpeg

365555CA-77BD-4E84-9806-869BE91B6512.jpeg

Bermuda is still a British territory but are self governing.  Tourism and Banking are the main stays of its economy.

More fun facts....a typical house, 2-3 bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen and a den/living room costs about $US 800K.  Rent runs $1,500 to $2,000/mo for a 2 BR apt.  That, according to one of the Ferry workers.

Aside from native Bermudians and those of Portuguese descent, U.S. ex Pats make up the 2nd most population group.

Known U.S. residents in Bermuda....H. Ross Perot, Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta Jones.

Bermuda was host to America’s Cup in 2017.

In addition to scooters, I saw these things.  Apparently, they’re electric vehicles with about a 40 mile range (less since Bermuda is hilly) and seats one passenger directly behind the driver.

They were renting for $90/day.

Gasoline runs about $8-$10/gal depending on the whim of the oil companies (a direct quote from a native).

904AA80B-F595-4EF2-B721-59744D28B7C2.jpeg

26C91C19-9BA8-40E7-B6F6-20737B4D239D.jpeg

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

More fun facts....a typical house, 2-3 bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen and a den/living room costs about $US 800K.  Rent runs $1,500 to $2,000/mo for a 2 BR apt.  That, according to one of the Ferry workers.

Interesting numbers.  I did notice how relatively expensive the food and drinks were on land.  I just chalked it up to being in a tourist area.  With numbers like this, it makes me wonder how working folks on the island are able to make a living...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Interesting numbers.  I did notice how relatively expensive the food and drinks were on land.  I just chalked it up to being in a tourist area.  With numbers like this, it makes me wonder how working folks on the island are able to make a living...

Asked myself the same thing.  Although, there is no income tax.  

Most people drive scooters, not much more expensive cars.  

They literally have no heating bills, nor water bills as they use the runoff from when it rains.  All houses have filtration and storage tanks under their homes.  

Saw a lot of homes with their own gardens.  I would imagine the climate enables fresh produce year round that you can grow.

Well.....I hope I’ve been able to answer some of your questions and give you a little insight about the ship, the cruise and Bermuda.

To sum up.....The Escape has just vaulted to the top of the heap of ships I’ve sailed on different lines.  That includes some pretty good company, like Royal’s Allure, Harmony and Anthem, as well as Celebrity’s Solstice and MSC’s Divina and Meriviglia.

Escape was impeccably clean and easy to navigate.  It’s a beautiful ship. I never felt crowded, even though I was on a “mega ship”.   I was comfortable in the cabin.  Service was friendly, efficient, and always on point.

Food probably ranked as the best I’ve had on ANY cruise ship (aside from the “fatty filet” in Moderno.  I only ate in the MDR once, for breakfast.  It was good.  I ate in the Garden Cafe for lunch....always fresh, always a great selection, always tasty.  The rest of my meals were in the Specialty restaurants.

Of course, the true measure of any cruise are the crew.  They couldn’t have been any more accommodating or nicer.  From the cabin steward, to the bartenders, to the servers to the management team....all were fantastic.

Entertainment was outstanding, even though AFTER MIDNIGHT wasn’t quite my cup of tea.  From the comedian, to Melinda Doolittle, to Choir of Man, to the performers, games, movies and demonstrations in the Atrium...all were good to great.

Bermuda is probably my favorite tourist spot out of the Caribbean, Mexico and/or the Bahamas.  It was friendly, clean and beautiful.

If I could sail again tomorrow on the exact same cruise, I’d go......RIGHT NOW!

Plus, the pricing was right.  It’s no wonder NCL has been getting my vacation dollars the last couple of years.

I hope you enjoyed the review.  Thanks for reading.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3

One more point I forgot to make, during the cruise, I ate dinner entirely in the Specialty Restaurants due to the fact I had the Dining package, 2 Platinum Latitudes Specialty Dinners and one offered to me by using my AMEX to book the cruise.

NOT ONCE did I make a reservation.  I just walked up to the restaurant hostess and asked if they had an opening.  If they didn’t have one immediately, they usually came up with a table within 20 minutes or so.  But usually, I just went to another Specialty Restaurant and found one that had a table open.

Plus, I didn’t pack any long pants,  Even in LeBistro I wore shorts.  Loved it!

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

St George’s.......

8153840C-16B9-4CDE-964E-3683242332D1.jpeg

ED3A5347-DBEF-4FBB-8AAC-E26A3678622B.jpeg

B6E05AD7-26C2-4278-A3BB-E8FAEA0FD54A.jpeg

BD32B5C2-237E-4F57-8095-7F80D2C8BADE.jpeg

1D86618B-F6E1-4381-A607-6FEB52147A08.jpeg

The first picture is the Horseshoe Bay beach in Southampton.

The second beach picture - is it the Clearwater? I haven't been there for a long while.

You sure had a great time!! Beautiful pictures.

Edited by bluesea777

2 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

The first picture is the Horseshoe Bay beach in Southampton.

The second beach picture - is it the Clearwater? I haven't been there for a long while.

You sure had a great time!! Beautiful pictures.

Thanks, it was a great time.  You’re right on all counts.

Plus, every time we came back to the ship, NCL crew were waiting for us with cool face towels and water as we boarded.  Loved that!

F3EC16FF-0401-4ECE-BBD6-710945ED0432.jpeg

CE084647-1746-4A05-A778-EDBB470D880E.jpeg

Can you tell me which beach this is in your last post, in St. George's?

Your figures on home/ apartment rentals are exactly what our Hitch driver told us, as well.

Fun fact, I think we may have been seated next to you Monday night at Cagney's!

On 6/23/2019 at 4:20 PM, graphicguy said:

However....things are looking up!!!!!.....

8AA41519-A1CF-40A1-9C8A-F9397EFF547A.jpeg

What is really funny about this picture is that is my mom reflected in the TV screen.  I'm next to her on the one side just hanging off the screen, and the other guy was named Jay.  We met him at the bar.  We were right there next to each other!!!

20 hours ago, bethclayton said:

Can you tell me which beach this is in your last post, in St. George's?

Your figures on home/ apartment rentals are exactly what our Hitch driver told us, as well.

Fun fact, I think we may have been seated next to you Monday night at Cagney's!

Horseshoe Bay.

On Monday I was dining in Cagney’s with the friends from Germany (a male and female, both also traveling as solos).  I met them at the CC M&G earlier in the day.

Small world (ship).

18 hours ago, bambiying said:

What is really funny about this picture is that is my mom reflected in the TV screen.  I'm next to her on the one side just hanging off the screen, and the other guy was named Jay.  We met him at the bar.  We were right there next to each other!!!

WOW!  Had a nice conversation with her.  Is that your Dad next to her?  He and I spoke for about an hour.  Nice people!