AmaWaterways active excursions

twincheryl

Going on AmaDante to the Rhine/Moselle in late Aug/Sept.  Looking at excursions and wondering just how "active" the hikes really are.  I asked my contact at Ama whether the Level 5 (Active) hikes are labeled as such for active 30-40 yr olds or 70+ age group... and she said 70+.  Of course, at 65 yrs old, I know that there are many super fit and athletic folks my age, but would like a little info from people who have actually done one or more of these types of excursions. 

Our only other Ama cruise had no hikes offered, so we didn't have any experience with them.  Here's the description from Ama, which could be interpreted very differently depending on how many stairs/inclines/hills there are: 

4- Challenging (requires good physical condition): many stairs/inclines/hills/uneven ground 

5- Difficult (requires excellent physical condition):  long, strenuous hike with many stairs/inclines/hills

We'd love to do Ravenna Gorge in the Black Forest, Heidelberg Philosopher’s Path Hike, or the Petrisberg Hike but don't want to get stuck in something that is horribly difficult.  I guess the worst that could happen is that we would turn around and meet them back at the bus.  

Anyone have any comments one way or the other?  Thanks.

On the AMA Rhône itinerary, we did the optional hike to Mt. Pipet, which was described thus:

Vienne Hike up to Mount Pipet– If you are interested in exercising your legs this morning, you may choose to go on our hike up to Mount Pipet.  Your tour begins with walking through Vienne and seeing some of the classic sights of the town, such as the Temple of Augustus and the St-Maurice Cathedral.  Then your walk goes up hill until you arrive at the top of Mount Pipet where you will get panoramic views of the surrounding area. [capacity controlled, sign up with CM]     [2 hrs total; 2 hr walking tour; degree of difficulty 5]

It was a steep uphill climb, but not a level 5 hike in our book especially because the guide took a slow pace to allow everyone to keep up.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

On the AMA Rhône itinerary, we did the optional hike to Mt. Pipet, which was described thus:

Vienne Hike up to Mount Pipet– If you are interested in exercising your legs this morning, you may choose to go on our hike up to Mount Pipet.  Your tour begins with walking through Vienne and seeing some of the classic sights of the town, such as the Temple of Augustus and the St-Maurice Cathedral.  Then your walk goes up hill until you arrive at the top of Mount Pipet where you will get panoramic views of the surrounding area. [capacity controlled, sign up with CM]     [2 hrs total; 2 hr walking tour; degree of difficulty 5]

It was a steep uphill climb, but not a level 5 hike in our book especially because the guide took a slow pace to allow everyone to keep up.

Thanks... Exactly what I was looking for... hopefully others will chime in with their experiences as well!

2 hours ago, Lolotte said:

We also did a few active hikes but the level was very reasonable ( we are 65 plus) and the tempo was ajusted for the slower folks.

Great news!  On our last river cruise on the Danube, we took the bus to town with the group and then set off on our own and met up with the bus at the appointed time.  Do you think that would be possible on the hikes as well if one chose to detour or slow down in the middle of the hike and meet up later?

39 minutes ago, twincheryl said:

Great news!  On our last river cruise on the Danube, we took the bus to town with the group and then set off on our own and met up with the bus at the appointed time.  Do you think that would be possible on the hikes as well if one chose to detour or slow down in the middle of the hike and meet up later?

You may always leave any excursion and go off on your own – as long as you tell the guide so they don't hold everybody else up waiting for the ghosts!  But it's your responsibility to make you way back to the ship before it sails – and if that changes at the last minute, they will notify the guide but they won't be able to tell you. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2019 at 1:37 PM, twincheryl said:

Going on AmaDante to the Rhine/Moselle in late Aug/Sept.  Looking at excursions and wondering just how "active" the hikes really are.  I asked my contact at Ama whether the Level 5 (Active) hikes are labeled as such for active 30-40 yr olds or 70+ age group... and she said 70+.  Of course, at 65 yrs old, I know that there are many super fit and athletic folks my age, but would like a little info from people who have actually done one or more of these types of excursions. 

Our only other Ama cruise had no hikes offered, so we didn't have any experience with them.  Here's the description from Ama, which could be interpreted very differently depending on how many stairs/inclines/hills there are: 

4- Challenging (requires good physical condition): many stairs/inclines/hills/uneven ground 

5- Difficult (requires excellent physical condition):  long, strenuous hike with many stairs/inclines/hills

We'd love to do Ravenna Gorge in the Black Forest, Heidelberg Philosopher’s Path Hike, or the Petrisberg Hike but don't want to get stuck in something that is horribly difficult.  I guess the worst that could happen is that we would turn around and meet them back at the bus.  

Anyone have any comments one way or the other?  Thanks.

In Heidelberg we did the Philosopher's hike & my husband is in his 60s and he had no problems with the hike but we are very active @ home.  There was a younger couple in our group that struggled because I don't think he did any exercise on a regular basis.  I would rate this tour a difficulty of 4.  Of the 10 people in our group half of us were much faster than the rest of the group so we made our way to the top and the guide did go at the slower pace.  We waited at the top where there was an outpost and drank some beer while we waited on them.  The highlight of the hike was at the top where there was an ancient amphitheater & I cannot imagine how they got all those stones up the path hundreds of years ago.