1st Time cruiser= probably dumb questions

Sersee

Thank you ALL for your replies .. It was extremely helpful. Im still trying to figure out my electronic situation. I am hoping to use the converter above and use it as chengkp75 described. I was going to buy the multi usb hub so we can charge all of our tablets, phones, etc.  We have connecting cabins and there are six of us.  Then maybe a simple extension cord for each room. We can use it for the CPAP and then during the day anything that might be needed. My kindle uses a usb or a plug. 

Are there any issues with bring a Ninetendo Switch on board?  Not that it will be used on ship much but my son brings it on the plane to play so we will have it . Also I am also assuming no problems for a portable charger?

Thanks for explaining the texting. So everyone in my groups needs to download the HUB app and then we can pay through the app when we get on board?

Sea sick wise. ... I forgot to ask about the ginger capsules so glad people kept mentioning them. I heard good things so I think we all will take those prophylactically since it won't make us tired. I normally don't get motion sickness and  can be on my phone in the car for long trips. I was on speed boats when I was younger a lot and never bothered me.  I do get a little woozy with heights. Everyone else in my family seems ok. But my son can't ride roller coasters. But I don't know if it's more just a fear of them.  I will bring all the meds just in case but hold off and see how we do. 

21 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Here is a huge tip: SIGN YOUR TEENS UP FOR THE TEENS CLUB ALMOST IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOU GET ON BOARD. Sorry to have it in all caps, but it is soooo important!

I did it on my online check in... should I wait to get on board to do it?

15 minutes ago, Sabalon said:

Yes.  We didn't do any sign up ahead of time.  We just went to the club o2 and talked to the people working there and explained the situation.    

Even if it doesn't work out - when mine with the Circle C, she LOVED it.  She would get up and want to go straight there, wanted to eat with her friends, hang out with the core group having pizza and ice cream on Lido at all hours.   (Oddly enough, dad just happened to keep "randomly" passing by where they were, getting a drink, etc.)   She even went to the dance event they had - this is someone who avoided every school dance she could!

Good luck!

BTW - Oct 11th is the actual bday and the other is Feb.

HA so weird.... one day ahead of my son and my 17 year old is also feb.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sersee said:

I did it on my online check in... should I wait to get on board to do it?

Sorry, I meant when you get onboard, take your teens to their clubs after they eat and have completed the muster drill. Highest chance for friendships to develop!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sersee said:

Interesting.  That is what I am afraid of that they will be confiscated because they are surge protected even though it doesn't say it is.

So maybe I can get a plug adapter and the pure usb for the European plug  and then a straight extension cord for other things?  I had one in mind but it is a combo usb.   So maybe like this?:

I can't read the print on the back of the Tessan unit, so I can't say whether it is surge protected or not, but I usually don't recommend converting a 3 prong US device to the "C" type Euro plug, as this is only two prong (no safety ground).  The better choice for a plug adapter is the "Schuko" or "E/F" type that engages the outlet's ground connection.

The second device you show is a "pure" USB, and since it has only a two prong plug it cannot be surge protected, and typically all lines let these onboard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sersee said:

Are there any issues with bring a Ninetendo Switch on board?  Not that it will be used on ship much but my son brings it on the plane to play so we will have it . Also I am also assuming no problems for a portable charger?

Shouldn't be, other than to make sure if he leaves the room with it, he doesn't set it down somewhere even for a minute.  Not that everyone is a thief, but as Depeche Mode said "grabbing hands grab what they can".    Charger should be fine as well.  We're bringing a couple for phones, even though on airplane mode, drain should be less.  Most all of those draw 5-12volts.  minimal chance of overloading something...though you get enough people in a room, each with an army of devices to charge....

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I can't read the print on the back of the Tessan unit, so I can't say whether it is surge protected or not, but I usually don't recommend converting a 3 prong US device to the "C" type Euro plug, as this is only two prong (no safety ground).  The better choice for a plug adapter is the "Schuko" or "E/F" type that engages the outlet's ground connection.

The second device you show is a "pure" USB, and since it has only a two prong plug it cannot be surge protected, and typically all lines let these onboard.

Is this the one you are talking about? It says

Ceptics Schuko, Germany, France, Russia Travel Adapter Plug Type E/F (3 Pack)

pluggy.jpg

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, the metal band in the middle of the plug engages the two spring tabs in the outlet to provide grounding.

Perfect... Thank you very much!  You learn something new everyday! This would be fine to plug the pure usb  into.. 

1 hour ago, Sersee said:

Perfect... Thank you very much!  You learn something new everyday! This would be fine to plug the pure usb  into.. 

Since the pure USB isn't grounded anyway, it will work fine there, and your high wattage appliances like curlers and hair dryers are safer than with the "C" type.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Since the pure USB isn't grounded anyway, it will work fine there, and your high wattage appliances like curlers and hair dryers are safer than with the "C" type.

Perfect.. so that has like 5 slots.. so phones and tablets could be charged there without any harm.

For my hair dryer, curling iron and C PAP ..I have one of those rubber 3 outlet and bring a plain old extension cord for the cPAP.. that should be ok correct?

1 hour ago, Sersee said:

Perfect.. so that has like 5 slots.. so phones and tablets could be charged there without any harm.

For my hair dryer, curling iron and C PAP ..I have one of those rubber 3 outlet and bring a plain old extension cord for the cPAP.. that should be ok correct?

Yes.