NCL Joy Review

JasonShen

We started cruising last December and only have two cruise experience so far: One RCL Vision of the Seas (last Christmas to Caribbean) and one NCL Joy (May to Alaska). For the recent one on Joy, the service and the dining experience at the main dining rooms were unexpectedly bad (described in another post). Just now I took a look at the cruiser reviews (I had been quite disappointed as that was a very precious family vacation), and noticed that the reviews for Joy have been diluted/manipulated. For example, the following one, the cruiser gave full score to every category but there are no concrete details at all, only very generic descriptions. I also could not find any other posts by that member. Even with this manipulation, the rating is still much worse than Joy's sister ship, Bliss. [Not sure if this has anything to do with the cruise line: It is OK that things are sometimes out of control and a ship is not ready for its prime time; but if the cruise line is not willing to face the issues to try to make the service better, that is very sad.]

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=659063

Not sure if this review is genuine

Edited by JasonShen

It takes a special kind of conspiracy theorist to think that someone out there is rigging reviews on a site not owned by or run by NCL. Have you considered that some people just don’t have much to say when they write reviews ?  Have you also considered that while your experience was unexpectedly bad, someone else’s experience was shockingly good?  I mean really. 

Sorry to hear you were so disappointed. I’ve never had a bad cruise. Maybe it’s luck, or maybe I’ve chosen to ignore the small things. I dunno. Hopefully you were still able to spend quality time with family. 

46 minutes ago, kodesthemoose said:

1. I think OP was neutral and made it clear that there is a possibility;

2. "It takes a special kind of conspiracy theorist to think that someone out there is rigging reviews on a site not owned by or run by NCL."

Of course it's possible and don't be naive, we all know they are! Especially it's a new ship with so few reviews. Poor first reviews for a new ship is a publicity disaster.

we have been on 8 NCL cruises did the Bliss last Nov and just got off the Joy in Alaska we did not book the Joy so we are one of the ones they switched to put on the Joy, and I am so excited that they did we loved the ship it was one of our kids favorite cruises all and all our service was better then past cruises on NCL we had 2 main restaurants dinners that were slow but we notice the ones that our trained on the iPad food comes out much faster so I am glad NCL is trying a new things to help with service being faster again we had a great cruise and would go on the Joy with no problem.

• Like 1

It’s no secret that online reviews are manipulated.  Google the phrase.  

CC reviews reviews before posting.  Hence, the opportunity to dilute.  Does CC have a motive to do so?  I don’t really care because I stopped reading reviews, but CC does not just host boards ... look at the other attributes of this site.

7 hours ago, JasonShen said:

We started cruising last December and only have two cruise experience so far: One RCL Vision of the Seas (last Christmas to Caribbean) and one NCL Joy (May to Alaska). For the recent one on Joy, the service and the dining experience at the main dining rooms were unexpectedly bad (described in another post). Just now I took a look at the cruiser reviews (I had been quite disappointed as that was a very precious family vacation), and noticed that the reviews for Joy have been diluted/manipulated. For example, the following one, the cruiser gave full score to every category but there are no concrete details at all, only very generic descriptions. I also could not find any other posts by that member. Even with this manipulation, the rating is still much worse than Joy's sister ship, Bliss. [Not sure if this has anything to do with the cruise line: It is OK that things are sometimes out of control and a ship is not ready for its prime time; but if the cruise line is not willing to face the issues to try to make the service better, that is very sad.]

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=659063

Not sure if this review is genuine

Reviews can be phony, most of us can pick up on those that are. As already mentioned we will see reviews come through and notice the poster have never posted before or rarely and never returns, but to think CC would have any reason to delete or manipulate a review. seems strange to me. I have seen, in the past bad reviews that are obviously make up. You can see 2 or 3 in a roll with similar wording and similar gripes. they are obviously written by either the same person with a different screen name of family members. 

I am a firm believer that if I am going to read reviews I am going to take them with a grain of salt.. 

12 hours ago, kodesthemoose said:

[...] Have you considered that some people just don’t have much to say when they write reviews ?  Have you also considered that while your experience was unexpectedly bad, someone else’s experience was shockingly good?  I mean really. [...]

Thank you for taking time to reply. No, I did not consider the fact that someone would take such an effort to write a long review on a dedicated cruise website if he/she did not have much to say. I did recognize and appreciate that people have different opinions about the same thing (in this case the same cruise, if that does happen).

14 hours ago, SomewhereCruise said:

1. I think OP was neutral and made it clear that there is a possibility;

Not even close.  He flat out stated as if fact "... and noticed that the reviews for Joy have been diluted/manipulated.", NOT might have been.  He goes on to say " Even with this manipulation ..." Again NOT possible manipulation.  He made several statements directly stating or strongly implying tha there absolutely was manipulation.