Icy Strait Point small group whale watching

LdyMags

Glacier Wind Charters. Small boat tours run by a husband wife team. Great experience. Long time area resident. We had an awesome experience whale watching with Shawn on May 28th. Shawn McConnell got us pretty close to the action. In my opinion, he has a 6th sense about taking you where it is happening. They are a great company to work with and always answered email and phone calls promptly. His boats are clean and in great shape. I would do it again with them when in ISP.

DSC_4473.jpg

Edited by masterdrago
  • Like 1

Our trip with Glacier Wind a couple of weeks ago. 

93FE5BF6-5CD2-4CC3-9552-536D283D5421.jpeg

8624C0DC-6DEE-4E9D-919E-971DC99424DA.jpeg

89BE4FF8-5661-4531-B4E7-4BFBA6530864.jpeg

I dont think the people on the large boat could see what was happening. 

FE8E6E46-6F64-4B53-A208-C9573D790A34.jpeg

6D20E5A4-D105-4185-A485-7699B58B5B19.jpeg

Edited by Pushka

We used Hoonah Travel Adventures when we were in Icy Straight last week.  I can highly recommend them.  The boat was new and very comfortable.  It's a medium size I would say, we had around 20 people or so on the boat.  The guide was great, very knowledgable and very personable.  We had bad rainy weather and still had an incredible time seeing the whales.

Check out Hoonah Whale Tours -  https://www.hoonahwhaletours.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9MGyiNqC4wIVEbvsCh1XGw8tEAAYAiAAEgJKH_D_BwE

Six people max, great reviews, the boat is a catamaran which typically gives the most stable ride, you can walk all around the outside of the boat for lots of viewing options.  Five of us from our Amsterdam roll call have booked them in August.  Can't wait!

We used Hoonah Whale Tours a couple of weeks ago and were not disappointed. Captain Jordan was personable, knowledgable and patient. It took us a while to see any whales but after the larger tour boats left the area Jordan was hanging out in the whales emerged and we were able to get some great pictures.  Jordan's wife was waiting for us when we departed the ship and gave us local history and told us a little about life living in Alaska on the way to the boat and back.  She also provided some delicious home made huckleberry muffins and hot chocolate on the boat. Whichever you decide enjoy your trip!!  

Another vote for Hoonah Whale Tours with Captain Jordan,  we got lucky they were not able to fill the boat so it was only my, daughter sister and I.  It was an awesome day. We actually had a whale that came towards us and dove under the boat, we saw several breaches.

P1030152.JPG