Large balcony but not fully covered

Dreams42Day

We booked a Mini Suite with Large Balcony on the Getaway. I am reading that the balcony is not fully covered. I am not sure what to think about this. Has anyone stayed in one of these rooms and, if so, what did you think of the balcony situation?

They are fantastic! Huge balcony. The third closest to ship is covered. Outer part is not, which is great for sunbathing. Never noticed any passengers above us so bored that they had time to watch us. I wouldn't hesitate to book one again. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Here is a picture.

breakaway333_v-contentgross.jpg&key=4d38

The M6 is the largest balcony. Above that is the B6, then the standard balcony above that. 

For your M6, the B6+standard balcony is your covered part of the balcony. 

Thanks so much for this picture!! So, it looks like about 5ft of the balcony is covered? Would that be your guess? 

The standard balconies on the Getaway are tiny. The amount of the large balconies that are covered is significantly bigger than the full balcony size on a standard room.

Basically, all you can really do on the standard balconies is stand outside. With the M6's you can comfortably sit in the covered area.

• Like 1

Looking again, the covered section of the M6 is about 2/3 of the B6 in certain sections. Some are a bit more covered than others. In any case, there is adequate coverage on the M6 balcony plus there is a good amount of uncovered space with a great view down to the water.

For the BA Plus ships things are a bit different. Here's a better picture of BA/GA...

8681998977-7b85d779fe-k-Copy.jpg

• Like 1

My in-laws stayed in a M6 on the Getaway and the deck was awesome! It is large enough for a table and 4 chairs or a few loungers. Yes, people above can see you, but I wouldn't worry too much about that.

• Like 1

We have found that when we have an exposed balcony and temps outside are hot that we can't use the balcony.  I thought that on a Singapore to Dubai cruise that included four ports in India, where I snagged a great aft balcony that we would really enjoy it.

Not so, when cruising to hot places, I would rather have a balcony that is covered or somewhat covered.

On our Alaska cruise, we had an aft balcony that was largely exposed.  That worked out great, since temps were a bit chilly.

7 hours ago, Siora7777 said:

It was windy and the ship had a lot of movement in the front. I barely used it. I've booked another one for December. 

What type of a cruise were you on that you found the M6 too windy?      (Transatlantic, Baltic, Caribbean or ???) 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a mini-suite with a large balcony on the Breakaway and it was very nice. There was a fairly large dining table with chairs and also 2 lounge chairs. I left the table and chairs under the covered part and I put the lounge chairs towards the railing so I could lay in the sun. It was the perfect alternative to fighting for a lounger on the pool decks.