Need suggestions/input

gkrnjlr

I didn't want to put this on the other board for traveling with children because I want to get opinions and input from those who cruise without children.

My husband and I took our first cruise just last year - without the kids. We had fun and are ready to go again. We're considering cruising in May or June - and taking the kids (who will be ages 14 months and 2 years).

My first question is.....For those of you that travel without children....does it bother you to be around other's children while on vacation?

Second.....with our children being so young would you recommend any certain cruises to consider or avoid? Or would you suggest that we re-consider the whole idea of cruising until the kids get older?

Anything else I am not thinking of? I greatly appreciate all suggestions and input.

Thanks!

Does it bother us to be around other's children while on vacation?

Only if they are unruly, and the parent just sits there, as in a restaurant, and smiles as though this is the norm.

Children who are acting up and crying in public places, do bother a lot of folks if it is allowed to continue for an inordinate amount of time.

The usual antics of children does not bother us at all.

Would I cruise with children as young as yours?

Probably not, but we did see several couples on our last cruise who had young ones, and they seemed to be managing quite well. Most of the crew love seeing the little ones - as they are away from their own families for long periods of time.

Cruises to avoid?

I believe that some lines are more geared towards the older generations. I would suggest that you research this, and try to avoid them.

I see this mentioned on the boards from time to time, but have no personal experience with this situation. (Although I certainly am of "that" generation).

Good luck! If you do take your babies along, I hope you have a wonderful time.

Is a grand parent or friend going along to give you a break from time to time?

My concern is for you - You love your babies, I know, but 24/7 on a cruise could be tedious. (I know you are aware of this, but "you" are important too.)

First I guess you know that 14 months won't be in the kids program on most ships and the 2 must be the full 24 months or more.

Now for an HONEST answer to your question about other peoples kids. I prefer not to be anywhere near them.

There are some that are perfectly well behaved and even then I would just prefer not to be near them. but then I don't frequent spots on board they are most likely to be either.

People may understand a cranky baby, or a happy squealer too or an over excited older child, but that does not make listening to them any more enjoyable.

and SOME Kids on cruises are truely horrendous, and a danger to other passengers not just an annoyance. I am not saying for a minute that your's are or would be.

Probably be blasted all over the place for this post, but I assumed you wanted honest responses, you are certainly going to get plenty that say to heck with everyone else do as you please. and Yes you have every right in the world to cruise with or without your children.

My first question is.....For those of you that travel without children....does it bother you to be around other's children while on vacation?

I'm female, mid sixties, and a solo cruiser. I prefer cruising when there are fewer children on board. I never book cruises during any school holidays or spring breaks. I realize yours are younger, but I would honestly rather cruise with NO kiddies on board. (No offense - you asked.) And - it's nice that you're actually seeking honest opinions.

Second.....with our children being so young would you recommend any certain cruises to consider or avoid? Or would you suggest that we re-consider the whole idea of cruising until the kids get older?

If I were you, I'd wait until they were older and could truly appreciate the fact that they're on a cruise. They both might benefit from staying with a grandmother, aunt, someone in familiar surroundings? You and your husband will be tied up 100% of the time with the little ones, as Camp Carnival (or whatever) doesn't take anyone under the age of two, and they are VERY strict about that - no bending rules for anyone.

Plus - you'd have a ton of 'stuff' to take for their special needs, since they're both so young.

Hopefully, you'll keep thinking about it awhile longer, weigh all the pros and cons, and make the right decision. (Don't you think maybe mommy and daddy could use a little break?) We all love our kids, but sometimes, it's good for them to be apart for a little while.

Good luck on your decision.:)

We are taking our 13 month old on a cruise next week. The Grandparents are all going. i have been on 3 cruises before and i know this one will be very different. I am going to enjoy the kiddie pool and long walks with my stroller around the deck. The days of buckets of beer are long gone. I know it will probably annoy some passengers that I am bringing a 13 month old. But we paid the same money as them and they were children once themselves. Good luck

We are taking our 13 month old on a cruise next week. The Grandparents are all going. i have been on 3 cruises before and i know this one will be very different. I am going to enjoy the kiddie pool and long walks with my stroller around the deck. The days of buckets of beer are long gone. I know it will probably annoy some passengers that I am bringing a 13 month old. But we paid the same money as them and they were children once themselves. Good luck

Perhaps you should check with the cruise line you are going to be on.

Children who are not potty trained usually are not allowed in the pools - even with swimmie diapers. There was recently a thread on this subject, so perhaps you could search it out, if you are interested.

Do have a wonderful time - and enjoy the walks - the promenade deck is great for this. Hopefully, not too many people will be annoyed, as this would surely make your cruise less than enjoyable.

Good luck.

I would pay extra to go on a vacation w/o any kids there. I would also pay extra for a non-smoking cruise, but that's another story :)

As a previous poster wrote, I also dislike when kids misbehave and the parents ignore it.

I specifically choose vacation that are not during the summer, Christmas break or other school holidays to try to minimize the exposure to ill-behaved children.

I also try to chose vacations that are a little more upscale (less Carnival and Holiday Inn, more HAL, Celebrity or the Four Seasons). That seems to cut down on the number of children present.

My vacation is just that - a vacation. I want to relax and enjoy myself - not listen to a crying baby or fighting children.

Again, just my opinion and you asked for honesty :)

It is very nice of you to even ask others opinion about your family vacation. My vote is for you to go now! Everyone that cruises knows there are no ships for "21 or older" only. I don't go during spring break (made that mistake once) and not during summer months. I do love kids but have a problem with the "new" young adult drinkers! Raising children...$$$$$$$$$ Spending time with them.....Priceless:D Have fun!

My preference would be no kids--however, the cruises I've been on, the children haven't been noticed too much. (With one exception--one dad thought the adult only pool didn't apply to his darling child) As long as they're not whining and being annoying, no prob! Have you considered Disney? My friends, who are childless, went with their extended family and loved it!

I am 47, married, with three grown children all in their 20's and out on their own.

I do not mind children on my cruise.

What I mind is the parents who allow them run rampent, have no manners, and in generally treat a cruise line as one gigantic babysitter instead of acting like responsible parents.

Last year a lovely family of four sat behind us at dinner. They alternated the nights they brought the children, including one formal night, with a night alone for the couple and night when none of them appeared, they eat alternate dining.

They were among the best behaved well mannered children I've ever seen. It was a pleasure to be along side of them and we made a point to comment on what a lovely family they had. No one minded this family in the dining room.

And lastly, it's not just kids, there are plenty of adults out there that totally let loose and have no thought what so ever that they are infringing on other's enjoyment as well. Few find the staggering drunk and loud and rude behavior or passing out at the dinner table, enjoyable. Except maybe those exhibiting the behavior.

Being rude, ill mannered or behaved is not solely a childhood ailment.

Though I think you might enjoy the cruise a bit better if you waited just a few months, there are plenty that will smile and nod at your parenting skills if you decide to go while your baby is so young.

I would say go for it. But, Im a sahm of 3 kids, and would never think of traveling without my kids. Im one of those people who never goes on vacation without my kids.

With that being said, Ive only been on one cruise RC(Majesty of the Seas), at the time my kids were 9 and 4. It worked out well, and we have been hooked ever since.

Now we are planning on going on the Carnival Valor this coming August, we have one more child to add to the mix, she will turn 2 Aug 13. Our cruise leaves Aug 20th. We planned it that way as Carnival will take kids as young as 2 and not potty trained, in their Camp Carnival, so that is why we were waiting . Believe me, if my youngest was allowed in the childrens room prior to being 2 we would of went already.

I guess because I have 3 kids, I see nothing wrong with it. And believe me, you wont find my kids running up and down the hallways screaming.We are pretty strict on the kids behavior,e xpecially in public.

Id say do what you feel is right :)

It is very nice of you to even ask others opinion about your family vacation. My vote is for you to go now! Everyone that cruises knows there are no ships for "21 or older" only. I don't go during spring break (made that mistake once) and not during summer months. I do love kids but have a problem with the "new" young adult drinkers! Raising children...$$$$$$$$$ Spending time with them.....Priceless:D Have fun!

Not entirely true, Celebrity has run a few 21 and over cruises and they always sell out.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I do have children, but at the same time, on our last cruise we saw several kids that were whining, screaming and such. Yes, its a normal part of being a 2 year old or such (this is the age that we saw/noticed and can also relate to).....but it was still not something that we wanted to be around.

I would never bash anyone for their input because hey, I asked for it, and actually? It's EXACTLY what I needed to hear and it's also how I felt! So....with that said, we're now thinking that we're going to cruise withOUT the kids again, and we're thinking that we'll change our dates and go to a Canada/New England cruise in September. (I'll post another thread later with questions about that - after I do my research.)

I love my kids, but until they're old enough, I am not going to consider a cruise!

Thanks for the input! It DOES help!

Personally, I would pay extra to cruise without kids. Whether they are well behaved is not the only consideration, as this is subjective.

I do all that I can to avoid cruises that are likely to attract families. And, I am happy to pay extra to dine in adult only venues aboard, if that is my option.

The lines that are more adult oriented are also more expensive. I would prefer to cruise less and enjoy more, or give up cruising altogther and enjoy land based vacations. I do enjoy adult only resorts.

You are one classy lady for even opening this up for discussion.

It is good to see that you did get mixed input, without too many harsh responses. This has been a hot topic on some of the threads, as you obviously are aware of.

I enjoyed reading all of these responses, even though I am now a "young" great grand mother. I surely do love well behaved children, but who knows when they will turn into something else. I certainly could never predict it with my own although they were usually perfect little gentlemen.

Thanks for a nice thread, and again, you are to be commended for not taking offense at some of the responses.

My son is 2 and he has already enjoyed 3 cruises! He will enjoy his 4th in about 2 weeks. I also have a 4 year old and 7 year old. Our family LOVES cruises.Each experience was different. We went on 3 different cruise lines. RCCL was ok, Carnival was our favorite, and Princess was miserable.

I would very enthusiastically recommend a Carnival Cruise for your family. On some ships there ARE kiddie pools (they are separate from the other pools on the ship.....the Spirit has one). Carnival DOES offer under 2 time every day from 12-2. Also I believe they offer babysitting for under 2's during port time and after 10pm.

Choosing which cruiseline you go with is so important...I cannot stress this enough. Even though Princess has a kid's program, etc. I would not consider them "kid friendly" and my experience was that the other passengers did not particularly want to see kids in the dining room(especially toddlers). I will admit that I did feel bad having my toddlers on the last Princess cruise because I really could sympathize with the passengers that wanted a nice relaxing dinner in the dining room who had to listen to my kids being for lack of a better word "kids". I did not get that same feeling from others on Carnival, in fact it is just the opposite. People generally do not choose Carnival for peace and quiet.

I will not do Princess again until my kids are much older,if ever. Hope this helps. Choose a cruiseship that welcomes your toddlers! They are out there.

Archived