Remain on the ship in Southampton?

Tonopah

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:02 PM, exlondoner said:

If they are plastic, they may be phased out. 

No they still sell the plastic ones in Boots as I buy them 

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:58 PM, MarkBearSF said:

Also, you can pick up a small quantity of pain reliever with codeine (low dosage) which is not available in the US. It was a life saver for a roommate with dental pain who had to wait two days for the dentist.

You can also buy a small tube of "Oragel" from Boots it is a gel that you rub around the tooth that has the pain problem and I guarantee you it does work until you can get to the dentist .. I never travel without it 🙂 in case of emergency .. it is about £5 

I can hopefully reveal why this particular thread currently now has over 2,500 hits.

It's being avidly followed by a small UK site.

Meanwhile of course I would add that for those who would be interested in passing their time without staying onboard there is always the chance to visit portsmouth's Historic Dockyard. There is a direct train almost hourly between Southampton and Portsmouth Harbour.

The dockyard is but a 5 minute walk from the rail station.

Possibilities while in Portsmouth are mostly covered in one of my blog reviews...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/06/28/one-way-to-do-historical-portsmouth/

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 7:44 PM, majortom10 said:

You will not be forced to disembark and then wait in terminal and then embark again in Southampton like we are forced to do so in New York when we do roundtrip TAs.

Yes that is such a pain.My mum was ill on a back to back a couple of years ago and although we had decided not to go on the excursion we had booked but to stay on the ship, I had to take her in a wheelchair (she has COPD) off the ship, wait in line at Immigration in NYC (even though it was the line for disabled visitors it was quite long) then try, with great difficulty, to get back into the waiting area next door as the queues for the new embarking passengers was huge, and then had to sit (for at least 45 mins before we could re-board the ship.  In fact this whole procedure could have hastened her visit to the Medical Centre which was necessary the next day!

Edited by SALAD MUNCHER
more info

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

Meanwhile of course I would add that for those who would be interested in passing their time without staying onboard there is always the chance to visit portsmouth's Historic Dockyard. There is a direct train almost hourly between Southampton and Portsmouth Harbour.

The dockyard is but a 5 minute walk from the rail station.

Possibilities while in Portsmouth are mostly covered in one of my blog reviews...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/06/28/one-way-to-do-historical-portsmouth/

Thank you. It’s beginning to look like we may leave the ship after all. 

On a number of occasions when I have been on Cunard ship visits in Southampton, often hosting various groups, I have noted that Britannia Restaurant lunches  were available to those passengers remaining onboard.

I'm sure Dancing Queen will be along to confirm this as fact on her many B2B Cunard cruises out of Southampton.

😈 😁 

On 7/1/2019 at 6:03 PM, Bigmike911 said:

On my visit to Southampton last year I took the Titanic trail which is a walking tour through the city, including the old city, and ended up at the City Sea Museum. To get back to the ship I walked a couple blocks back to WestQuay and the Cunard bus was waiting with appropriate signage. I showed him my ship card and we were soon wisked back the the Ocean Terminal to re-board. There was no charge. 

In addition to the shuttle information, I can tell you that my travel partner didn't get off the ship. We were coming from Hamburg, but I didn't see any notice that all the passengers needed to go ashore, like they do in Brooklyn.