Denali transit buses reservations. Necessary?

Audrine

Hello everyone!

I'm going to be in Alaska in less than 3 weeks! Eek! I'm getting so excited and I'm finalizing our plans.

We will be in Denali for 2 nights and we were planning on taking the transit buses on July 16th. I never really got the impression that reservations were a must but I figured "might as well book it to be safe". Well... when I go on the site, the only time slots left are from 3 PM for our date!  All the morning slots seem to be filled...

Our plan was to go in the early morning and hike around Eielson Center in the afternoon before going back... With a 3 PM departure, that seems impossible. 

Now I know that only 65% of seats are available to be booked in advance on the buses. So m question is: should I book the 3 PM slot so that I'm sure we can get a seat sometime during the day or should we just take our chances and go early, hoping to have a seat? 

There are 3 of us, so we are not a very large group, if that makes any difference.

Thank you all! I'm stil kicking myself at not having made the reservations sooner... 

Twice I've had luck picking up 1 or 2 tickets the day before so if you can do that, go for it.  Otherwise, get there early on July 16.

The other option is to book the 3pm tickets, and hope to change them on the July 16.  I think the change fee if $4 per ticket.

On May 20, we walked in and bought 10:30 tickets just minutes b4 loading. Bus was about half full. Pretty sure that would never happen in mid June to late July. We only made it to Polychrome due to a previous engagement but the bus only went to Toklat River until June 1. The shoulder season is apparently lightly traveled. Good luck.

I have an idea, book a shuttle bus to Wonder Lake, it’s not that much more and you can still get off at Eielson and hike. Or if the mountain is out, you could go all the way in and still get off and spend some time at Eielson on the way back. I took a quick peak and on July 16, there are plenty of early times for Wonder lake shuttle. That would give you peace of mind and guarantee a ride! 😊