Ship tour?

ccndfw

We board the Ruby Princess soon and were wondering if a ship tour is available or a behind the scenes tour?  We heard others say it’s worthwhile. How would you book this and what is included?

Edited by ccndfw

Book it by heading to the Customer Services desk as soon as you can) after boarding. That is where you can sign up for iot. Participation is limited to 12 to 15 people. Cost is $150/person.

You visit such areas as backstage in the Princess Theater, print shop, laundry room, photo shop, galley, provisions storage, engine control room (not the engine room), medical department, forward anchor room and the ship's bridge Usually the department head is your host in each area and is willing to answer questions. Takes about 3 hours. Price includes "gifts" such as chef's jacket, bathrobe, photos taken along the way by ship's photographers, etc.

The tour is usually held on the last full sea day.

Unlike on some other cruise lines, there is just one tour offered per cruise. The department heads do not seem to mind this addition to their work day as it is only one time.

On some of the other cruise lines the tour is offered multiple times on multiple days and the staff involved often treat it as an unwelcome interruption to their normal work and the presentations are rote and over with as soon as possible.

Well worth the price on Princess.

Just now, rocklinmom said:

On the Crown right now and ship tour hasn’t been offered. It seems to vary by ship. 

Sometimes it is advertised in the Patter and sometimes it is not.

Have you asked at the Customer Service desk?

I have done them on different ships and they are definitely worth while. Being ex-Navy I am interested in the inner workings of a ship and find them interesting. For the price it is good value for money which includes many extras and benefits along the way. You are often given shower robes, aprons and souvenir photos as well as food and drinks at a private bar on completion. They will also hand out personalised stationary like notepads with your name and cabin number written on each sheet. Simple stuff but still interesting. Personally for me the bridge visit is the highlight. I have been on hundreds of ships bridges through my life and always like visiting them. Typically the bridge is not a sensitive area on a Naval ship as it holds no sensitive or security information. It is nothing more than an area for navigation.

I too would encourage you to head to Customer Services as soon as you board. This is where you would sign up if there is a tour. It is very popular and frequently has a wait list.  We finally made “the cut” while on the Grand in April.  It was on the last sea day and actually had two groups of 15. Thoroughly enjoyed the detailed tour which ended on the bridge with a tour, chat time and pictures with the Captain, while enjoying drinks and attractive snacks.  You will enjoy the “swag” from the tour: nice long robe and cooking apron w Princess logo, personalized stationery/tablet, group pics, photo frame and another blue Princess tote bag 😉.  Cost is $150. 

We took this tour on the Royal and enjoyed it very much.  The department heads in each area were welcoming and very informative.  So glad we did it.  It may not matter,  but we waited to book the tour until we were cruising on one of the larger ships thinking that it might be a little more interesting and up to date.  In any case it should be a fun experience for you.  As previous posters have said, I would recommend inquiring and getting on the list early.

I have done this 2 other times on another line.  A lot more bang for you buck on Princess it sounds like!  I am boarding in Whittier after a 5 day land tour next year.  We don't get to the ship from Denali until about 5:30PM.  Fingers crossed that I can surprise my boyfriend with this tour!  

8 hours ago, caribill said:

Sometimes it is advertised in the Patter and sometimes it is not.

Have you asked at the Customer Service desk?

No I haven’t but my cabin neighbor did and was told it wasn’t offered. Not surprising, since they don’t have other things we are used to (like Voice of the Ocean). 

The Ultimate Ship Tour is fantastic and I highly recommend signing up for it if you have the chance.

Unless you are sailing on the Regal on 19 Jan 2020. In that case, the ship tour is crap. Don't bother signing up for it. It'll be boring and tedious and you won't enjoy it. Just skip it and hang out by the pool with some nice cold drinks.

If you are sailing on the Regal *after* that, then by all means take the tour if you can get a spot. It's fantastic and I highly recommend it.

Why yes, as a matter of fact I *am* sailing on the Regal on 19 Jan 2020. Why do you ask?

• Haha 2