TV or Movie characters who sense of style you liked

momofmeg

I just been thinking-I really enjoyed caviergals thread on the gal on the plane-and I also found Jane's survey interesting-so I have been thinking-have any of you seen any TV characters or movie characters who's sense of style you liked.

Remember the show a Different World from the early/mid ninties? I really liked that show alot and me at the time a 30 something white woman from the south. Why was it I liked this show so much about black college students?

I think it was because of Lisa Bonet, also from Cosby "Denise" and Jasmine Guy "Whitley".

Remember "Denise's" sense of style? Truly electic and I always felt no one but "Denise" could have pulled that off-anyone else would have looked like a "bag lady" dressing the way she did-but on her it worked.

Then "Whitley" was such a classic-you know Jackie Kennedy/Grace kelly type. Neither of those were your typical college student black or white I thought but I really enjoyed the characters. the gal on the plane with caviergal could have learned a thing ot two from "Denise" and "Whitley".

I always liked the "Freddie" character too although her dress as a sixties' hippie living in the 90's never quite worked to me. Marisa Tormei's character was cute but a little "babyish"- she seemed more like a high school then college girl- her character left only after a season or two- was it then that she got into movies? Jada Pickett was on that show too.

Another TV character I always liked was "Julia" from Designing Women. To me she was always "Whitley" if Whitley had been older and white-you know very similiar characters. I always admired her style but I always saw myself more as a cross between "Charlene" and "Mary Jo." I did like that show alot too-mainly because it portrayed southern women more accurately then any other show or movie had ever done.

Now you gals have to name some of your favorite characters with a great sense of style.

Caviergal I agree. I like her and she is so funny.

I thought of another character-"Phoebe" from Friends. Not that I would ever dress like her-she like "Denise" was a one of a kind-it worked for "Phoebe".

Sorry about the double posts guys. I finially realized the problem. My computer came up "done" and there was nothing on the screen- so I clicked the "refresh" button. I won't do that anymore.

Well, I'm old enough to have liked Marlo Thomas as That Girl ----

but a little more currently, I have to say that I liked SUZANNE Sugarbaker, always thought she was just beautiful for a fluffy girl.

If I had my wish, it would be the staff of ER --- I wish I could shuck the suits and pantyhose I wear to work and dress in scrubbs instead.

Well, I'm old enough to have liked Marlo Thomas as That Girl ----

but a little more currently, I have to say that I liked SUZANNE Sugarbaker, always thought she was just beautiful for a fluffy girl.

If I had my wish, it would be the staff of ER --- I wish I could shuck the suits and pantyhose I wear to work and dress in scrubbs instead.

Yep I agree and I remember "That Girl"-loved that show when I was around 13-14.

You are right about "Suzanne"-a vast dfferance between her and Roseanne for sure-ofcourse "Suzanne" had money and "Roseanne" didn't until the last season and then "Roseanne" dressed like an over weight Paris Hilton. Class does not always have to do with money does it?

I actually thought all the Designing Women looked great-the original 4-anyway.

Have you watched "Joey" any? The Gina character was really dressed sluttly last season-this year they classed up her character a little and they are dressing her a little better. To me the show is much better then the first year-the characters are more rounded out- but I still don't know if Joey will "fly" -it is certainly no "Friends". I do think it would help the show if they brought in some of the "Friends" characters for a visit.

I agree Karen is a good one. I also like Eva Longoria's (Desperate Housewives) sense of style. Not just on screen, but off screen she always continues to look classy, instead of hiding behind glasses with no make up and sweats on...she's always nicely dressed. And when you're a double zero I guess it's not hard to look good all the time. ha ha

I think Karen on Will and Grace has a great sense of style; she generally looks elegant and sophisticated with a dash of sexy thrown in.

I agree with you. And I'll add "expensive" to elegant and sophisticated. her look can't be pulled off with inexpensive copy's.

I also love Grace's look. I think she always looks so great, whether in jeans or sexy evening wear. Her new weight gain from having a baby is obvious and I think the show's stylists are doing a great job on her new plumped up body.

Geena Davis gets my vote for a great sense of fashion on her new show where she plays the President of the US. I think the suits she wears have amazing style and panache while still looking powerful.

Jane

I always like James Bond. Knew what to wear it and when. Always in style no matter which actor played him.

Being in the business I was in in New York I met a lot of celebs. I almost lved in the loft building with Lisa and Lenny....I think Lisa introduced GRUNDGE to the world...and shes not very personable either.

Genie Francis (GH) was always elegant and well dressed and Jon was dressed respectfully.

Tatum and John were kinda slobs when I met them...I think they've grown out of it.

Kevin and Phoebe ALWAYS wor ethe right thing for the occasion.

Kevin Spacey, well he looks good when he has to, but dresses down for the clubs.

Susan and Tim (PERFECTLY stylish and appropriate), Drew B. In style folowed fads...LOTS of tatoos... (I had the same Veterinarian as they did).

Eartha Kitt...Rrrrrrrrrrrrr. Always on the edge of fashion, as were Madonna and Barbara.

Yes, I did meet, work with, many celebritites. My last project involved Janet Jackson and her new apt. in Trump Towers. Michael stayed there also.

Recently I was on a mission to purchase a new Tux. I was looking for the 'Rat pack', Ricki Ricardo 1940's 50's type basic tux...They are hard to find. Everything now has the stupid three button fronts and the cut down lapels. I did finally find one at an outlet store.

My fashion for Formal and informal (respectively)........Black classic tuxedo ensemble, or an offwhite shawl collar jacket. A navy blazer with khaki slacks and a silk tie.........Not hard to pack...not a problem to wear...the sizes are correct so I'm not choking, or picking all night long.

And yes. I enjoy dressing up.

For many of you out there, I understand TV and the movies aren't really real, but did June Cleaver ever wear jeans? even when she did housework?

Dave:eek:

June Cleaver never owned jeans......and when she cleaned the house

she was ALWAYS in a dress with an apron around her waist. That is an

image I will always remember. LOL.......nothing wrong with aprons mind

you, but I don't own one!

My dad to this day still will not wear jeans. He said he was was growing up (back during June Cleaver era, I assume ha ha)...that the children played in their kahkis and the poor people wore jeans. So he has this mental block on jeans...so natrually today when I wear my "distressed or embellished jeans" around him he rolls his eyes...remember ladies I only wear these during the day...never to dinner anywhere, so don;t flame me. LOL :)

June Cleaver never owned jeans......and when she cleaned the house

she was ALWAYS in a dress with an apron around her waist. That is an

image I will always remember. LOL.......nothing wrong with aprons mind

you, but I don't own one!

Lois when I look at the reuns I always love the pearls! Recently I got myself a pair of the cultured pearls-more the "real thing" as these are not freshwater pearls like my others but ofcourse cultured is still man helps them along-I guess I will never have the geninue ones-but I do love these akoya ones-my 23rd anniversary gift.

But yes June was always dressed to the 9's even if she was vacuuming- she had to wear that apron to keep those cashmere sweathers and wool tweed skirts nice- but that time period they all were dressed up even "at home"-the soap opera characters or whatever. Mary Tyler Moore at least wore slacks-but they were nice slacks-not the bummy stuff people are caught in today.

I agree with you. And I'll add "expensive" to elegant and sophisticated. her look can't be pulled off with inexpensive copy's.

I also love Grace's look. I think she always looks so great, whether in jeans or sexy evening wear. Her new weight gain from having a baby is obvious and I think the show's stylists are doing a great job on her new plumped up body.

Geena Davis gets my vote for a great sense of fashion on her new show where she plays the President of the US. I think the suits she wears have amazing style and panache while still looking powerful.

Jane

You have a point Jane-"Whitley" "Julia" and "Karen" were/are always dressed expensive-but they always seemed to be in the classics-those things that never go out of style-those type of things are worth spending the bucks on as you will use that stuff until you die-even if you can't afford that stuff new- then hit the consignment shops and have it drycleaned.

Now trends and fads-can be the cheapo stuff as in a couple of years you will be throwing it out anyway.

Are you old enough to remember the "go-go boots"? Those were in when I was around 12. They came in the cheap imitation leather and the real leather both and ofcourse the plastic ones were more affordable and the ones I ended up getting. I remember by the end of the season they were more grey then white and were thrown out-but it did not matter as the next year none of us would have been caught dead in them. I remember my girlfriend's mother giving hers-the nice leather ones-to the Salvation Army.

Archived