Juneau taxi/Uber to Mendenhall info?

dpiddy

Greetings, we’ll be in Juneau in September and were hoping to get a ride to Mendenhall Glacier. Is there a taxi stand at the pier? Would we need reservations or can we just walk up? There will be 4 other ships in town that day. We’ll probably want to head there after lunch, as we have an excursion planned for that morning but not sure when we’ll get back. 

Also, I saw via Google from a TripAdvisor post in 2017 that Uber is not allowed to Mendenhall Glacier. Is that still the case?

Any/all info would be appreciated. Thanks!

When we were last in Juneau, we docked near the Mt. Roberts tram south of downtown.  There's a little "shopping" area right near the dock and from there I caught US Forest Service bus for a nominal fee up to the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center.  It's about a 30 min trip each way and runs at least every 30 min.  There is limited parking at the VC.

• Like 1

There is a glacier bus that will take you to the glacier. It runs every 30 minutes until later in the afternoon. You can take a taxi by calling the number you see on the side of any that you see around town. The taxi use to be reasonable, but now they have increased the prices. Last summer we called a Lyft driver, but they are only allowed to drop us off quite a ways from the glacier so you have a hike to get there which eats up more time.  The glacier bus is a little pricey, but doable. The only thing that worried me on a recent visit was I wasn't sure how many people were going to be lined up to come back at the same time as us a recent trip. We had to be back at a certain time because we had a whale watching excursion. We ended up contacting Juneau Limo to take us on a custom trip out there. It cost a little bit more than the glacier bus, but we were able to set our own time and actually make a few stops on the way back. She dropped us right in front of the overlook, and then parked in a lower lot until we contacted her to come pick us back up. I would definitely use them again. 

• Like 1

Any info on just needing a return trip? We have a whale watching excursion in the morning and they will drop us at the galcier after. The buses $45 per person round trip but we wouldn't need a round trip. Can we just purchase a 1 way? It is just two of us that will need transportation and my mom won't want to walk the mile to catch the city bus. 

3 hours ago, musik07 said:

Any info on just needing a return trip? We have a whale watching excursion in the morning and they will drop us at the galcier after. The buses $45 per person round trip but we wouldn't need a round trip. Can we just purchase a 1 way? It is just two of us that will need transportation and my mom won't want to walk the mile to catch the city bus. 

I just did this last week, the whale watching people dropped us off at the Glacier about 1/8 mile from the parking lot. When we were ready to leave I called for an uber. i

It was going to be $52. A taxi pulled into the parking lot having been called for by someone else. That driver called his dispatch and had them send us a taxi which arrived 5 minutes later. Cost was $42 plus a $5 tip split between 4 people. There were 4 ships in Juneau that day and believe me, the taxis know it. Plenty of them to return to the ship. Just grab 2 other people wanting to go to the ships and share the cost.

7 hours ago, susiesan said:

I just did this last week, the whale watching people dropped us off at the Glacier about 1/8 mile from the parking lot.

Why did they drop you 1/8 mile from the parking area?

On 6/30/2019 at 5:51 PM, susiesan said:

because they are not allowed into the parking lot. It was no big deal. 1 minute walk.

Yes, 1/8 of a mile is nothing.  Was this Jayleen's Alaska?   I'm sure others would be interested since there are many posts on getting to the glacier after a whale watch.

On 7/1/2019 at 8:25 PM, Glaciers said:

Yes, 1/8 of a mile is nothing.  Was this Jayleen's Alaska?   I'm sure others would be interested since there are many posts on getting to the glacier after a whale watch.

Yes, this was a whale watching trip with Jayleen's Alaska. There were 4 of us together, picked up from the Coral princess. She offered to drop us off at the Mendenhall Glacier rather than back at the cruise ship. I had requested this in advance and it was no problem. BTW, the whale watch was awesome-we saw maybe a dozen whales including a mother and calf.