Buying vanilla bean

Fatcat604

I live up north, so vanilla bean is very expensive, and not easy to find. Most of the store sale the imitation one. My friends would refer vanilla over keychain, magnets, trinkets... I want to buy some at the mercado in matzalan, or Walmart in PV if they do carry it. (I saw on YouTube, Walmart have the vanilla extract, not sure about the bean. Can I bring vanilla bean back to the ship, and through US custom? What's the good price for vanilla bean? I know I have to bargain, but it will be big help if I can find out the price. Thank you in advance for your help. 

I am surprised that nobody else responded to your port.  Understand that buying vanilla beans can be tricky because there are different grades and beans can also be too old (or not properly stored) and lose some or much of their flavoring abilities.  In Mexico (we live in Puerto Vallarta part of the year) we have seen some pretty sad vanilla beans sold in touristy stores.  If I wanted to purchase decent beans in Puerto Vallarta I would go to La Casa de La Vainilla, Calle Morelos 128, Centro, Plaza Juarez.  This is a tiny specialty shop located on the outside of Plaza Juarez which is a parking garage just off the southern part of the Malecon (in Centro and just before you reach the Rio Cujale).  This ship sells the real thing and they have high quality products. 

As to price, you are not going to get any bargains if buying high quality beans.  There is a worldwide shortage and prices are high...everywhere!  Even in Mexico we have heard of folks paying $10 (US) for a single decent bean.   If you prefer to just buy a decent Mexican vanilla extract, we know some folks who swear by the Orlando brand.  I am not sure if Walmart (in PV) carries this brand but it is found around town in quite a few shops including the one I referenced.  On the other hand, you could simply order it on Amazon :).

Hank

I buy beans at the shop that Hank posted every land or cruise trip we go to PV. I always buy a liter of Orlando vanilla extract every trip. I love to bake and Orlando Vanilla is amazing until I can get my own homemade extract from those beans I buy from that shop.

Right now ' been sitting on my own Vanilla extract for 2 years it's amazing