Transportation from JFK to Newark airport hotel

Savblanc1

Hi

We are cruising out of cape Liberty in a couple of weeks and our plan is to fly into Newark and we have a hotel booked there for the night before the cruise the next day. However, as I am airline crew and we are using my travel concessions if the flight on the day  is full we may have to fly into jfk instead this will be at short notice. Is there any kind of bus shuttle between the two airports as I have a feeling the cabs at jfk won’t take us to Newark as it’s crossing a state? Have I got that right? Thanks for any info. 

1 hour ago, Savblanc1 said:

Hi

We are cruising out of cape Liberty in a couple of weeks and our plan is to fly into Newark and we have a hotel booked there for the night before the cruise the next day. However, as I am airline crew and we are using my travel concessions if the flight on the day  is full we may have to fly into jfk instead this will be at short notice. Is there any kind of bus shuttle between the two airports as I have a feeling the cabs at jfk won’t take us to Newark as it’s crossing a state? Have I got that right? Thanks for any info. 

Shuttle would be JFK to Grand Central and Grand Central to EWR.

Google JFK to EWR shuttle - I’m seeing at least two companies, but I have no personal experience with it.

What day of the week would you being doing this and any guess about the time of day?

I’m sure a NYC cab would take you , but they can charge you whatever they want since this trip to NJ is not governed by NYC cab regulations.  Another option is LIRR train to NY Penn Station and NJ Transit train to Newark Airport.  For a late night arrival (too late for trains) the cab fare to Manhattan is fixed and you could take PATH from to Newark and a cab or Uber to your hotel.  If not a Saturday or Sunday (12 am Sat to 12am Monday until Dec 2020) cab to World Trade to pick up PATH direct to Newark would work).  Otherwise you route would be PATH from 33rd & 6th to Journal Square to transfer to the Newark train.

Another option would be to book a car service like Carmellimo or Dial7 as soon as you are cleared to board your standby flight.

In the end it’s all about how much money you are willing to spend to minimize the aggravation of this trip.

Edited by 138east

3 hours ago, 138east said:

Shuttle would be JFK to Grand Central and Grand Central to EWR.

Google JFK to EWR shuttle - I’m seeing at least two companies, but I have no personal experience with it.

What day of the week would you being doing this and any guess about the time of day?

I’m sure a NYC cab would take you , but they can charge you whatever they want since this trip to NJ is not governed by NYC cab regulations.  Another option is LIRR train to NY Penn Station and NJ Transit train to Newark Airport.  For a late night arrival (too late for trains) the cab fare to Manhattan is fixed and you could take PATH from to Newark and a cab or Uber to your hotel.  If not a Saturday or Sunday (12 am Sat to 12am Monday until Dec 2020) cab to World Trade to pick up PATH direct to Newark would work).  Otherwise you route would be PATH from 33rd & 6th to Journal Square to transfer to the Newark train.

Another option would be to book a car service like Carmellimo or Dial7 as soon as you are cleared to board your standby flight.

In the end it’s all about how much money you are willing to spend to minimize the aggravation of this trip.

Thank you for your detailed reply, as always! It will be a Wednesday and a guess mid afternoon. I think, if we don’t get on the Newark flight and if I have time before departure I’ll book  carmellimo  (am using them to get from ship to jfk when we dock). We will have a fair bit of luggage so don’t want to be using the path etc if we can help it. If I can’t book carmellimo we’ll have to go for the nyc cab I guess. I’ll take a look at the Jfk-Ewr shuttle as well. Just want to have a plan b in place, just in case our plan a (Ewr flight) goes wrong!  Many thanks. 

8 minutes ago, Savblanc1 said:

Thank you for your detailed reply, as always! It will be a Wednesday and a guess mid afternoon. I think, if we don’t get on the Newark flight and if I have time before departure I’ll book  carmellimo  (am using them to get from ship to jfk when we dock). We will have a fair bit of luggage so don’t want to be using the path etc if we can help it. If I can’t book carmellimo we’ll have to go for the nyc cab I guess. I’ll take a look at the Jfk-Ewr shuttle as well. Just want to have a plan b in place, just in case our plan a (Ewr flight) goes wrong!  Many thanks. 

Please don't use a NY City cab. They don't have to take you to NJ other than to EWR, and if they agree to take you you're going to pay a king's ransom . The driver can charge whatever they can get you to agree to. Even if you were to go to EWR instead of your hote, in which case your fare will be metered,l you will be charged a $17.50 surcharge on top of the regular metered fare, plus tolls and tip.

You should have no trouble getting a car from carmellimo even at the last minute. They have lots of cars based near the airport. If they can't take you try Dial 7 instead. If neither can do it I'd try Uber before taking a NY City taxi to NJ.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Please don't use a NY City cab. They don't have to take you to NJ other than to EWR, and if they agree to take you you're going to pay a king's ransom . The driver can charge whatever they can get you to agree to. Even if you were to go to EWR instead of your hote, in which case your fare will be metered,l you will be charged a $17.50 surcharge on top of the regular metered fare, plus tolls and tip.

You should have no trouble getting a car from carmellimo even at the last minute. They have lots of cars based near the airport. If they can't take you try Dial 7 instead. If neither can do it I'd try Uber before taking a NY City taxi to NJ.

Thank you!  We will definitely not use a NY cab then! 

I echo the comments about using a car service, that would be my first choice.  Also thinking out loud, one additional option is to do a one-way car rental -- it's not a fun drive and there are tolls but it's an option (the backup plan for the backup plan).

Hopefully you're able to get on a flight to EWR.

Carmel Limo and Dial 7 Limo are two reliable companies based in the New York City area that provide excellent service in the metropolitan New York City area. There rates are reasonable and they have clean vehicles and knowledgeable drivers. You can be assured that they will arrive at their scheduled time and get to the location you need to be at. Have used them numerous times and was always satisfied with there service.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 1:27 AM, CruiseDigits said:

I echo the comments about using a car service, that would be my first choice.  Also thinking out loud, one additional option is to do a one-way car rental -- it's not a fun drive and there are tolls but it's an option (the backup plan for the backup plan).

Hopefully you're able to get on a flight to EWR.

Thank you 

On 7/2/2019 at 6:34 AM, Corby114 said:

Carmel Limo and Dial 7 Limo are two reliable companies based in the New York City area that provide excellent service in the metropolitan New York City area. There rates are reasonable and they have clean vehicles and knowledgeable drivers. You can be assured that they will arrive at their scheduled time and get to the location you need to be at. Have used them numerous times and was always satisfied with there service.

Thank you 

I'm in the exact same boat- Flying into JFK w/Hotel near EWR. 

Saw someone recommend just doing a one-way rental- I looked that up and it actually turns out to be cheaper than a car service. Our flight gets in late evening (10pm) so i'm assuming traffic at that time is much less of an issue than it would be during the middle of the day? Only issue would then be figuring out the EWR->Bayonne Port trip, but that's easier than JFK->Bayonne.

On 7/1/2019 at 6:34 PM, Corby114 said:

Agree ++