Getting credit for 250 minute internet perk

mertziek

On 9/11/2019 at 2:58 PM, Shellbelle28 said:

... my question. I hate getting in lines for that sort of thing onboard! We're booked in a category that has concierge/butler service ... 

It's easy do-it-yourself service on your smartphone/tablet, a few clicks & you are done.  Do you wish to share/give your userid and MyNCL account password to your butler/concierge to set it up for you, and, trust them to safeguard your privacy ?  

There is no need to stand in line at the iCafe to do this, not at all. Pricing & options will be displayed on the web browser for you to choose and accept.  You should take some personal responsibility, IMHO, for doing this ... DW used to just toss her iPad & smartphone for me to do it all for her ... well, not anymore.  

IMG_20180429_WiFi-Upgrade.jpg

Edited by mking8288

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

It's easy do-it-yourself service on your smartphone/tablet, a few clicks & you are done.  Do you wish to share/give your userid and MyNCL account password to your butler/concierge to set it up for you, and, trust them to safeguard your privacy ?  

There is no need to stand in line at the iCafe to do this, not at all. Pricing & options will be displayed on the web browser for you to choose and accept.  You should take some personal responsibility, IMHO, for doing this ... DW used to just toss her iPad & smartphone for me to do it all for her ... well, not anymore.  

IMG_20180429_WiFi-Upgrade.jpg

Thank you. That is the speific information that I have been unable to find. DIY is fine with me. Lines, not so much.

I was on the Joy last week. Many reviews here said the Internet was spotty, but I actually found the service to be quite good. It was out a few times but mostly it was working and decently fast. 

Facetime works without the streaming package. 

iMessage works when you’re connected to Internet (and sometimes when not!  But YMMV). 

For texting you will want to use google hangouts, WhatsApp or something similar as SMS won’t work. 

On our 7 day cruise, waiting until the morning of day 2 did cost about $20 less. The credit for the 250 minute perk is automatic, no need to stand in line. 

• Thanks 1

I was on the Bliss last week, in Alaska. The Internet was good and speedy. Only in Glacier Bay it was spotty, but then, who cares? When you are in gorgeous Glacier Bay you want to be looking at the glaciers, the mountains, and the sea; not browsing the Internet.

I understand that people have different needs, but I kept considering if I should upgrade to the unlimited WiFi (I had the 250-minute package). I'm glad that I didn't because I ended up not even using the full 250 minutes.

I mean, there was so much to do aboard the Bliss! I'm a big Internet user at home, but during these 7 days on the Bliss, the last thing in my mind was going online. I was mostly in swimming pools, hot tubs, restaurants, observation lounges, shows, night clubs, gift shops, shore excursions, etc., places where I didn't need or want the Internet. Besides, the Bliss stops at four ports of call, and all four have rather strong cellular service. My Sprint LTE data on my iPhone was very strong in all four ports of call, so, when I was traveling on buses to go to excursion sites, I was catching up with social media, email, online news, etc. for free, so that when I was on the ship I didn't need to do that.

For my needs, 250 minutes did the job, and I ended up with some 50 unused minutes, actually.

We're in such a social media-dominated world!!! If one goes to Alaska for seven days of all places, it's nice to disconnect and enjoy the gorgeous views and spectacular nature and wildlife. Turn off your smartphone and your tablet... there are better things to do while cruising. You can be online all you want at home, when Glacier Bay, whales, bald eagles, snow-capped mountains, gorgeous lakes, and friendly company are not around you.

On 9/12/2019 at 9:23 PM, htnut said:

I was on the Joy last week. Many reviews here said the Internet was spotty, but I actually found the service to be quite good. It was out a few times but mostly it was working and decently fast. 

Facetime works without the streaming package. 

iMessage works when you’re connected to Internet (and sometimes when not!  But YMMV). 

For texting you will want to use google hangouts, WhatsApp or something similar as SMS won’t work. 

On our 7 day cruise, waiting until the morning of day 2 did cost about $20 less. The credit for the 250 minute perk is automatic, no need to stand in line. 

Do you know if I can purchase the plan on morning of Day 4 and only pay 3/7 of the internet package on a 7 days cruise?

Edited by William W