Hub app

KPookey

I am sailing on the Pride.  I downloaded the Hub app onto my phone.  I am NOT planning to buy internet.  Can I still use this app while onboard?  Can I chat with family and friends in other cabins, who I am sailing with, through the app?  Anything else noteworthy about the use of this app while onboard?

Thanks!!

5 minutes ago, KPookey said:

I am sailing on the Pride.  I downloaded the Hub app onto my phone.  I am NOT planning to buy internet.  Can I still use this app while onboard?

Yes, it essentially replaces your daily Fun Times. You can even see the MDR menus for that night!

Can I chat with family and friends in other cabins, who I am sailing with, through the app?

No, you would need to have each member of your family/friend group pay $5 per person in order to chat. 

Anything else noteworthy about the use of this app while onboard?

My favorite feature has to be starring specific events you don't want to miss, and receiving a notification alerting you of start times. Remember to keep the Hub App open, or else you will not see the notifications!

Edited by jbethel11
typographical errors
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KPookey said:

Can I still use this app while onboard?  You can use the app at no charge.  Simply put your phone into airplane mode and then connect to Carnival's wifi (no charge). 

Can I chat with family and friends in other cabins, who I am sailing with, through the app?  Yes, you can.  It will cost $$5 per device for the entire cruise.  We always use it.

Have a great cruise.

1 hour ago, hockeyguru32 said:

Also remember to put your phone on airplane mode

yes, put it on airplane mode and connect to wifi, even if you don't have a wifi plan.

We don't do the wifi plan, but are planning to spend the $5 per person for chat. 

what do you mean?

you want to put your phone in airplane mode to turn off your mobile radio. You also want to turn on your wifi while in airplane mode to be connected to the ship wifi, even if you don't have the wifi plan. This will allow your hub app to update with changes in event times and your spending and reservations and any hub app messages if you've added that option. I've also noticed I will occasionally get some notifications come in for my other apps.

Edited by CruisingViper

your mobile (or cellular) radio is the part of the phone that connects to the cell service. the easiest way to turn it off is to turn on airplane mode. if the mobile/cell radio is on, there's a possibility you could roam on the ship's cell service and/or get an incoming call and rack up very high charges. 

You can then turn on your wifi, because there's no charge to connect to the ship's wifi, they will just block your wifi traffic from leaving the ship if you haven't paid for a wifi data plan. Even if you don't pay for a wifi data plan, you can still get data from the ship to your hub app. Data like, changes to schedules, your sign and sail spending, menus and showtimes.

1 hour ago, CruisingViper said:

yes, put it on airplane mode and connect to wifi, even if you don't have a wifi plan.

We don't do the wifi plan, but are planning to spend the $5 per person for chat. 

1 hour ago, coevan said:

This is a bit misleading. 

NOT misleading, but correct.  The Hub app works through the ship's wifi; however, without a paid wifi plan, you cannot access any other applications.  Basically, you are connecting to the Hub app through an "included" specific wifi service.

4 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

My favorite feature has to be starring specific events you don't want to miss, and receiving a notification alerting you of start times. Remember to keep the Hub App open, or else you will not see the notifications!

This is how we "communicate"  on the ship without purchasing the "chat" feature.   We "heart" the place we are going to be for that specific time (i.e. Amber Place lounge for the 8:00 PM Show).  And we will know where others in our group are (or will be).

• Like 1