Best tour for seeing the sloths/monkeys and snorkeling?

mommypenguin29

This will be our first time here - it will be myself, husband and 2 kids - 14 & 11. I would like to go see the sloths and monkeys and take the kids snorkeling - they have never been before. Can anyone recommend a tour that covers both/ I have heard snorkeling here is the best between here, costa maya and cozumel... Thanks!

• Like 1

Victor Bodden, Rony's Tours, Cleve  all provide excursions around these things.  All are similarly priced.

Victor's drivers will take you to his place, for animals unless you specify another place.  They can all take you to West Bay beaches for snorkeling.  You may need to rent snorkel vests from a vendor, especially for the children.

But these folks know where to go.

I am trying to decide between Real Deal Tours, 2KS, and Cleve's. They all seem to be roughly the same price and all offer roughly the same tour.

Does anyone have any recommendations to decide between the three? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Also keen to know this- is the snorkelling so much better at West Bay than up by Daniel Johnstons?

Trying to decide which excursion and which beach to end at- Daniel Johnston offers snorkelling from a boat then time at Las Palmas, and others are snorkelling off shore West Bay- 

Cant decide- I have read West Bay is extremely busy on cruise ship days (there are 2 in port the day we are visiting)   is it worth battling the crowds or is Las Palmas a good option?

Many thanks

I don't have any experience with West Bay, but we booked directly with Daniel Johnson's and would 100% do it again!  Such a fun time and the snorkeling was really good!  Beautiful water, saw so many fish, lobsters and an octopus.

Just did this on the 30th with Daniel Johnson (booked directly)  and it was amzing! I'll try and do a review tomorrow. ok

Daniel and his crew were with our group for the sloth, monkey, snorkeling part and then our private driver from their team took us on a mini island tour to get to the west end beach where we went to the beach, chocolate factory, beach, and a restaurant in the beach. Was $55 or 50 person (dont  remember which)  plus we tipped😀

Great day! My daughter says holding Sid the sloth was the best part of the trip!

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:44 PM, #1TravelMom said:

Rony for sure.  You will have an amazing day!  We have been to Roatan many times.  My girls insist on seeing the monkeys and sloths every time.  I LOVE snorkeling!  We have used Rony every trip for years - Fabulous day every time!

Did you do a private tour or group?  If group did price include entrance to sloths and bananarama?

We always do his private freestyle tour.  I like to stop for random pictures.  We also want to set our own schedule as we go.  We pay him for transportation and then pay admission on our own.  We've been touring with him so many years, I'm honestly not sure how he normally handles admission fees.   I'm sure you have a memorable day!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2019 at 7:42 PM, #1TravelMom said:

We always do his private freestyle tour.  I like to stop for random pictures.  We also want to set our own schedule as we go.  We pay him for transportation and then pay admission on our own.  We've been touring with him so many years, I'm honestly not sure how he normally handles admission fees.   I'm sure you have a memorable day!

Hello....Have you ever done Gumbalimba Park with Rony's. I'm looking at booking private tour with Rony's and interested in this Park. I was hoping to see and hold sloths but it doesn't appear that it's available at this Park. Reason for interest in Gumbalimba is that the birds and monkeys don't appear to live in cages. They have a bit more freedom to roam. TIA for any help you can offer. 

Gumbalimba is different than the other sights.  It is a larger, more spread out park.  You will be there longer than the other places, plus no sloths.(unless they've added them since we've been there).  It is not our favorite.  The monkeys only come to you when you have food.  If there are a lot of people, you may only get a few seconds to get the "souvenir picture".  Also, I wouldn't want to miss out on the sloths.  Going on a ship tour is also not an option for us.  Being in a van or coach bus with a bunch of people on a strict schedule is not what we enjoy.  This is a great option for some, but when Rony is available - he's definitely the best choice.

I highly recommend Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout.  It will cover the monkey/sloths and snorkeling.  We booked the excursion directly through Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout on Facebook that included the island tour, snorkeling and the animals. When we booked the had different packages, so if you only wanted to do the monkeys/sloths/macaws and snorkeling, and not do the island tour that was an option. Below are two videos; one is taken from pictures of just some of the island tour, animals and snorkeling, and the other is compiled videos of the snorkeling portion of the excursion. Subscribe to KJ Travel Adventures for more videos.

Pictures made into a video of the island tour, animals, snorkeling form the Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout Excursion

https://youtu.be/VaKMLYNNaJI

Videos of snorkeling portion of Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout excursion

https://youtu.be/y35gWkjS2ho