The Key - Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas

Couple of questions about this.

I've already bought it, so the "is it worth it" question is pointless 😂 but I'm wondering exactly how best to use it and does everyone buy it?  In other words, it seems like a fast-pass and there's nothing worse than getting a fast pass with 1000 other people!  

Also, when debarking in Rome after the 7 night Greek Islands trip, about what time do you think we will leave the ship (ballpark).  

Thanks!! 

7 minutes ago, sgw123 said:

Also, when debarking in Rome after the 7 night Greek Islands trip, about what time do you think we will leave the ship (ballpark).  

Thanks!! 

First guests will normally be leaving the ship around 30 minutes after arrival.

12 minutes ago, sgw123 said:

I've already bought it, so the "is it worth it" question is pointless 😂 but I'm wondering exactly how best to use it and does everyone buy it?  In other words, it seems like a fast-pass and there's nothing worse than getting a fast pass with 1000 other people!  

Thanks!! 

It's not too late.  You can cancel it and get a full refund.

They limit the number that they sell.  I heard that it was 100 per sailing on a ship like the Jewel.

Unless the price you paid is REALLY REALLY REALLY close to what you would pay for internet alone, "it's not worth it."  😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

It's not too late.  You can cancel it and get a full refund.

They limit the number that they sell.  I heard that it was 100 per sailing on a ship like the Jewel.

Unless the price you paid is REALLY REALLY REALLY close to what you would pay for internet alone, "it's not worth it."  😉

I'm researching that right now as we speak!  I'm going w/ my 18 yr old niece, and we both use a lot of internet 🙄 

Hmmm or we could tread the waters of internet withdrawal & see how that goes... 😏

1 hour ago, sgw123 said:

I'm researching that right now as we speak!  I'm going w/ my 18 yr old niece, and we both use a lot of internet 🙄 

Hmmm or we could tread the waters of internet withdrawal & see how that goes... 😏

Sharing a 2-device internet plan is going to be a lot cheaper than two Key purchases.  

If you have an active Roll Call, you can also see if anyone wants to share a 4-device plan, which generally gets the price for internet down under $7/day for each person.  

5 hours ago, sgw123 said:

Thanks!! 

Boarding in the new Civitavecchia terminal was one of the quickest and efficient I have ever experienced.... no need for as Fast Pass there.

Disembarkation started shortly after 6:30.  Again quick and smooth process. 

If you don’t want to rush off or have a late flight you can stay on board till 2.45 if you pay  💰 $44.99pp with their “stay awhile” programme. 

• Like 1

I can answer this one as I just got home from the Jewel Greek Isles on Sunday.....with the Key.  

Embarkation was super fast... with or without the key.     We were the first ones there and were on the ship and at the pool at 11:15.     There were lots of signs for the key, but it didn't matter.    The terminal is huge, super fast and very smooth.

We had no luggage to leave when we got on the ship (only had our beach bags)... key didn't matter.

Lunch at Chops was great.

Internet package was good.

Disembarkation was a non factor....because  we had a Royal Transfer to the Rome Airport we had a set time to leave the ship. The luggage was sorted with all the others and could not have been easier to find.    

Because we left the ship early, there was no debarkation breakfast.

We did receive two fruit baskets on Day 3.   Had to ask why and were told because we had the key.    Gave them to the cabin steward.

There were set times for the Rock Wall but we didn't use it.

Why we got the Key ...... we were the first off the boat in Santorini.      It was nice not having to line up to get a tender time.   But... from what others told me the process was very fast.

In Mykonos (the other tender boat), it was first come / first serve (and there were no lines / problems getting off).   We did ask at Customer Service and they said to just go to deck... there will be no problem.. and they were right.    Walked right onto the Tender boat with no problem.

IMO....  wasn't worth it.

Any other questions just ask.

For an FYI.... I have seen others ask about Pillow Tops.... there was not one on our bed and we didn't ask as I thought they didn't do them anymore.    On our last night when we were pulling our luggage out from under the bed we found our pillow top cover in a sealed plastic bag.    So if you don't have one on your mattress.... check under the bed.

To answer your question about what time will you disembark... depends on if you have a flight, what time, and if you have a transfer with Royal.    Our flight was at 11:35 and were off the ship at 7:15.   I know others that had a 1:30 flight and were off the ship at 8:30.    Once I unpack and find my paperwork, I can scan (I think I still have the list and Cruise Compasses).

Also.. the evening entertainment (shows) were great and the food in Tides was worth it every night.  But we had a great table and that helps.    But don't expect Lobster night on European sailings.   We asked and were told that is a North American thing.    You can purchase Lobster as an add on---- but ask the head waiter for a special price.   We got it at 50% off.

Edited by ELIZG
  • Like 1

I'll throw my two cents in also...I just got off the Jewel on June 30th...

I had purchased the key but decided to cancel it once I talked with my cell phone company - Tmobile.  With my cell phone account I got Free Unlimited text and data while in Europe - France/Italy/Greece included.  It also came with .20 or .25 cent phone calls depending which country.  Only the 2 days without date - except when we went through the Messina pass (then we were so close I picked up cell service).  Free text was a great way to keep up with hubby in the states.  If you don't have Tmobile, check with your cell phone company.  My cousin's company had a 'cruise plan' but she just used my phone.

Getting on the ship...Didn't need the key.  Went pretty fast and really no issues.

Lunch in Windjammer was a little crowded, but not as crowded as expected.  Also go to the very back of Windjammer for nice seating outside with a great view of the back of ship.

Disembarkment...We did self disembarkment.  Lined up at 6:45am and was off ship with our luggage by 6:55.

Santorini was the one port the key would have been amazing for.  Tender port.  Delayed over an hour (still don't know why) and then with all the people who got tender tickets before us - it was 3 hours after the fact before we got off the ship.  Huge pain, but still made our private wine tasting on time!!  And the wine tasting was amazing - we did the 10 tasting and wow - it was a lot of wine.  very generous pours.

The other ports were no big deal.  We docked at Mykonos, Athens, and Olympia.

I'm glad I made the decision to cancel the key.  But it's a personal decision that only you can make....

Have a amazing trip!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ELIZG said:

For an FYI.... I have seen others ask about Pillow Tops.... there was not one on our bed and we didn't ask as I thought they didn't do them anymore.    On our last night when we were pulling our luggage out from under the bed we found our pillow top cover in a sealed plastic bag.    So if you don't have one on your mattress.... check under the bed.

I have to question if that was a mattress topper.  IME, if you have the beds together as a king sized bed, the two twin-sized comforters are in a zippered bag under the bed.  If you have the beds separated into two twin-sized beds, the king-sized comforter is under one of the beds in a zippered bag.  

In all likelihood, you were looking at a comforter, not a pillow top mattress pad.  However, if you had asked, the room steward could have put that comforter under your fitted sheet to add some softness to the mattress.  

It's the egg crate foam toppers that have allegedly been discontinued for hygienic reasons.  A pillow top mattress pad can be sent through the ship's laundry, so there would be no reason to discontinue those.  

1 minute ago, brillohead said:

I have to question if that was a mattress topper.  IME, if you have the beds together as a king sized bed, the two twin-sized comforters are in a zippered bag under the bed.  If you have the beds separated into two twin-sized beds, the king-sized comforter is under one of the beds in a zippered bag.  

In all likelihood, you were looking at a comforter, not a pillow top mattress pad.  However, if you had asked, the room steward could have put that comforter under your fitted sheet to add some softness to the mattress.  

It's the egg crate foam toppers that have allegedly been discontinued for hygienic reasons.  A pillow top mattress pad can be sent through the ship's laundry, so there would be no reason to discontinue those.  

Good question... we assumed it was a quilted mattress topper.   The beds were apart and there was one under each bed.    We didn't see them until the last night when we pulled our luggage out from under the bed.   We didn't pull them out to look at them.       Doing a survey at our Dinner table on the last night, some of them had them on the bed and some didn't.... why we thought it was a mattress topper (not the egg crate kind).