NCL Gluten Free ?

bboop51

We are considering booking on the NCL Encore to Bermuda next year.  We usually cruise Celebrity but they no longer have a seven day in May to Bermuda, which is what we are interested in.  I am Gluten free and Celebrity does a great job with their Gluten free options etc. Can anyone  offer opinions  on how NCL does on this ? 

I can usually muddle through for one meal or so, but I'd rather not spend a week muddling.

Thanks in advance for any info !

They are excellent. Let’s the special needs department aware before your cruise, go to the MDR for lunch after embarking, the dietary manager will introduce himself, you can order dinner then if you want. Dd has celiac and would order dinner and breakfast the night before, just gave him a call when we left the cabin and told him where we were eating. Menus also indicate if a dish is gf, plus you can have them modify items. Everything ordered in advance is cooked in a separate kitchen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bboop51 said:

We are considering booking on the NCL Encore to Bermuda next year.  We usually cruise Celebrity but they no longer have a seven day in May to Bermuda, which is what we are interested in.  I am Gluten free and Celebrity does a great job with their Gluten free options etc. Can anyone  offer opinions  on how NCL does on this ? 

I can usually muddle through for one meal or so, but I'd rather not spend a week muddling.

Thanks in advance for any info !

They do a very good job especially since you can bounce around from restaurant to restaurant on a nightly basis. The only area I would say is a bit weak is grab and go lunch options but you still have the MDR or O'Sheehans (The Local on newer ships) as an option.

I always order dinner the previous night but you do not have to on NCL.

1 minute ago, mjkacmom said:

They are excellent. Let’s the special needs department aware before your cruise, go to the MDR for lunch after embarking, the dietary manager will introduce himself, you can order dinner then if you want. Dd has celiac and would order dinner and breakfast the night before, just gave him a call when we left the cabin and told him where we were eating. Menus also indicate if a dish is gf, plus you can have them modify items. Everything ordered in advance is cooked in a separate kitchen.

Thank you !  This is what I need to know. The hubby has a seafood allergy. If we book we'll do this for him too.  He also ordered his dinner in advance.

1 minute ago, NightOne said:

They do a very good job especially since you can bounce around from restaurant to restaurant on a nightly basis. The only area I would say is a bit weak is grab and go lunch options but you still have the MDR or O'Sheehans (The Local on newer ships) as an option.

I always order dinner the previous night but you do not have to on NCL.

Thank you !

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

You guys are awesome... thanks !!!

Just now, bboop51 said:

Thank you so much, we will be making our decision in the next few days. At least this won't a reason not to book : )

Oh, forgot to mention that NCL has the most awesome gluten free french toast for breakfast. They make it out of a GF hamburger bun. That alone is enough reason to book it. LOL

59 minutes ago, NightOne said:

Oh, forgot to mention that NCL has the most awesome gluten free french toast for breakfast. They make it out of a GF hamburger bun. That alone is enough reason to book it. LOL

Just now, bboop51 said:

Thanks ! That sounds great. I would be looking for a breakfast option. My breakfast every morning on Celebrity was always smoked salmon on a piece of GF bread.  MY BFF cruises NCL  every year and informed me the NCL has done away with salmon for breakfast.  No biggie, I get it at home every day. But the french toast sounds yummy.

57 minutes ago, NightOne said:

See this video: (starts at 3:01 into it for breakfast stuff)

The waffles in the video are gluten free too

Now NightOne... you are just being cruel. I don't eat this well at home and have prided (wait is that a word ?)  myself on never gaining weight on a cruise.  Hopefully our friends will want to pull the trigger on the cruise and we will be booking this weekend.

• Like 1