Alaska photography questions

bound4dbeach

2 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Images look bit soft, but probably expected for what I've read for Kinko on such a lens, enjoy the reach. 

At least it works. You had me worried with your comment.

I had a choice between spending less than $200 or around $1,000 to cover the chance that I "might" need the 600mm range on the AK trip. To avoid any marital disagreements, I chose the Kenko. :classic_biggrin:

22 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Images look bit soft, but probably expected for what I've read for Kinko on such a lens, enjoy the reach. 

I've noticed often posting directly an image (direct upload) on CC, that my images look much softer than when on the screen edited to the size correct for the forum. Seems to work a bit better simply using a hosting service and just using an image link instead.

1 hour ago, masterdrago said:

I've noticed often posting directly an image (direct upload) on CC, that my images look much softer than when on the screen edited to the size correct for the forum. Seems to work a bit better simply using a hosting service and just using an image link instead.

Unfortunately, I've lost access to my Flickr account. Trying to get it resolved but no luck yet.

On 7/23/2019 at 3:13 PM, masterdrago said:

On the battery Banks. I took two. Both sold by Anker. 1) a 46Wh PowerCore 13000, 2) a 72Wh PowerCore 20100 (the one on the rail). The small one fits nicely with Velcro buttons on a Slider made by GripGear. The bank has two USB outlets, so I can run power to both the GoPro and the slider motor at the same time. I hunted it specifically for the slider because of the 750 gram weight limit on the low cost slider. Works like a champ. I'm a complete novice in the arena of movie making so am learning some hard knocks along the way.

Could you describe how you used your slider?  i.e., to what end?   / what photography effect did you want to achieve on your cruise? 

These look serious! 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gripgear+slider&crid=3LH3BYD12VALF&sprefix=gripgear%2Caps%2C162&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_8

Edited by SempreMare

16 hours ago, masterdrago said:

I have a question.     I trying to decide if I need to purchase a new camera body.  

I want to get a new lens for my d80.  The tamron 18-400mm. 

But im not sure if they are compatible.    And I’d hate to get the lens and have to return it and have a restocking fee.   

My d80 works great I feel. And seems like a waste to get another body.   

60AD8B86-4422-4D1F-A90A-8D977F73DF86.jpeg

116C59C8-22CE-42EE-B0B4-546687F65F77.jpeg

B3906D04-382D-4631-80E8-0F9A4ADC3E4A.png

F4E257FC-BEF6-4D96-A32D-8FF2130D26AC.png

6 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Could you describe how you used your slider?  i.e., to what end?   / what photography effect did you want to achieve on your cruise? 

These look serious! 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gripgear+slider&crid=3LH3BYD12VALF&sprefix=gripgear%2Caps%2C162&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_8

By mounting the GP on the slider and driving it while recording the vid, the viewer gets a feeling of being inside the view. Check out some of the time-lapse by Tom Lowe - search Timescapes. The sliders that Tom uses are rather complex. I decided to leave mine at home since I had only done a bit with it in the backyard and did not want the cruise to be the learning curve. You can easily spend a grand on one but since I'm only a rank beginner at video, got the GripGear package. It has a750 gram weight limit which will just support my GoPro, panoramic head, & Anker 13000 PowerCore. I got the idea from one of the pros that hangs here on CC (chesneygirl). The effect is to add dimension to a video.  See post #7  at

37 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

I have a question.     I trying to decide if I need to purchase a new camera body.  

But im not sure if they are compatible.    And I’d hate to get the lens and have to return it and have a restocking fee.   

I've been following this thread and applaud the care with which the posters have taken in striving for the best photos. 

I don't want to sound negative or pooh-pooh people's choices, but I'll just say for the record that the day I retired my Nikon DSLR and Tamron 18-270 zoom and started using my Panasonic FZ-1000 was the day my back and neck thanked me, and still do.  

I appreciate that there might be some areas where the camera's max performance doesn't reach the levels I might have reached with the DSLR rig, but to be honest I haven't yet found them, and the camera's advantages - portability, the ability to let me focus on the subject rather than the hardware, its big sensor and fast autofocus, pin-sharp lens, superb 4K video capability, and relatively low cost (meaning I won't be totally heartbroken if I have to replace it at some point) - well they all satisfy me that it was the smart move.  

Posting (of necessity much down-sized) images on line isn't a good way to see the camera's potential, but here are a couple, both cropped considerably, which illustrate some of the camera's abilities - 

(Seattle waterfront)

P1000190s.jpg

P1000177a.jpg

P1000113bs.jpg

You can pick up this camera for under $500; it might be worth considering as an alternative to a DSLR lens that would cost (and weigh) almost as much or more.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Fortunately, your D80 has a focus motor in the body, so any Nikon mount auto focus lens should work very well. Since the 18-400 also has a focus motor, I suspect it will be fast and quiet also. I do not know what the f/ limit is on the D80 for focus accuracy - f/6.3 may be at the slow end and if shooting 3fps, it does not get focus, it will hang until it does. I've read good things about the Tamron 18-400.

30 minutes ago, Gardyloo said:

I've been following this thread and applaud the care with which the posters have taken in striving for the best photos. 

I don't want to sound negative or pooh-pooh people's choices, but I'll just say for the record that the day I retired my Nikon DSLR and Tamron 18-270 zoom and started using my Panasonic FZ-1000 was the day my back and neck thanked me, and still do.  

I appreciate that there might be some areas where the camera's max performance doesn't reach the levels I might have reached with the DSLR rig, but to be honest I haven't yet found them, and the camera's advantages - portability, the ability to let me focus on the subject rather than the hardware, its big sensor and fast autofocus, pin-sharp lens, superb 4K video capability, and relatively low cost (meaning I won't be totally heartbroken if I have to replace it at some point) - well they all satisfy me that it was the smart move.  

You can pick up this camera for under $500; it might be worth considering as an alternative to a DSLR lens that would cost (and weigh) almost as much or more.

Wow! I just looked at the specs on that. I must be living in the dark ages. That's a pretty nice rig with a lot of capabilities for <$500. And it's been around for 5 years. Bridge camera? New to me. But then, I've been a Nikon fan boy since 1968 :+|

10 hours ago, masterdrago said:

I decided to leave mine at home since I had only done a bit with it in the backyard and did not want the cruise to be the learning curve. 

OMG My cruise will the learning curve with me for 2 new cameras !!

DJI osmo action - like a GoPro but with a front-facing camera from DJI - the drone company

https://www.dji.com/osmo-action

Panasonic Lumix ZS200 - I chose this model for the combination of  1" sensor + zoom lens.

https://www.amazon.com/PANASONIC-Stabilization-Megapixel-Sensor-DC-ZS200S/dp/B079QNXFCC

I haven't purchased a new camera in eons prior to these.  My only prior experience has been with Canon PowerShots.

21 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

Agree with this. My non GoPro is a Sony A6000 usually with a Sigma 30mm f2.8 that comes in at just over 1lb which, on me, is barely noticeable. I can break out the Sony 16mm for wide shots (and throw on the ultra wide converter to take it down to 12mm) or throw on the 55-210 for some close ups. Got the camera body used for $300, lenses clock at around $200/ea, and pics look great!

For Alaska I'm looking at renting a 100-400mm for two weeks and will leave the 55-210 at home. 

30mm

725A183B-A49B-4D09-BC97-3F0C7CFCC587.thumb.jpeg.03f872e45a19a8770febe710ba8641f5.jpeg

55-210

24A6770A-19C0-4601-81CA-1B99DDC6A322.thumb.jpeg.e9a6919be1a15975815ceb0cb5f140a4.jpeg