Diamon Princess Japan - things I wish I would have known ahead of time

lithlith

On 9/8/2019 at 5:43 PM, Aloha Cruisers said:

Yes, the past few years and this past winter Diamond Princess provided hot

water kettles.  We prepurchase cases

of bottled water delivered to our stateroom and bring Starbucks coffee, filters and strainer to make our own coffee in the morning.  

And, we bring a gift for our room steward

from home.  They work hard and a little gift goes a long way...remember they are on the ship about 8 months on average. 

C U onboard.🌺

Leilani

Your cabin steward does not have enough space in their cabin for gifts and they also don't know about or care about your home town.  I will bet that there is a bin in the crew quarters where your gift goes.  They are working to earn money for their families back home and the only gifts that they really want is cash.

DON

On 9/8/2019 at 6:43 PM, Aloha Cruisers said:

And, we bring a gift for our room steward

from home.  They work hard and a little gift goes a long way...remember they are on the ship about 8 months on average. 

Cash goes a lot further than any trinkets and they appreciate that much more.

HA!  We do Both!!! Once I even bought an MBA basketball for a room steward who wanted one for his nephew and couldn’t get off the ship - he was disembarking soon.  He couldn’t believe our tip either!!!

It’s also helpful to learn a few phrases in their language-they so appreciate it and will reward you with the biggest smiles.  

We feel fortunate and grateful to be able to travel and Princess has been very good to us.

Leilani🌸

Oh, another thing room stewards like are food - we often bring them something back from port stops - of course we check first to see what they like.  They really don’t get off the ship too often and when they do priority is to wire money to their families.    And Don, I think they do care about our hometown - a case of macadamia nut chocolates can be shared or traded for something with their friends on board during their long contract.  We see the same stewards often and they come to say Hello or teach our new steward some of our habits.  As I said, we love cruising!!  Over 100 cruises with Princess so I’m not joking.  We do appreciate and respect all the hard workers.  My husband even tips the waiter who brings us water in the Wheelhouse 

Lounge so don’t misunderstand me.  Sorry if I didn’t phrase things better 4 U.

Leilani🌺

On 7/22/2019 at 5:34 AM, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Also thanks for the heads up on the Green Tea soft serve ice cream, that they did not have when we were there last and I love Green Tea Ice Cream :classic_biggrin:  

If you get a chance, check out the Green Tea Cake in the buffet! They only had it once on our 16-day cruise on the Diamond, and it was ABDOLUTELY DELICIOUS!

A special "Princess moment" for my wife came of this. We asked about the cake towards the end of the cruise as we'd not seen it onboard since the first time. She absolutely loved it.

The chef asked for our room number and said he'd get back to us.

Well, an individual size portion arrived the next day! We were absolutely blown away.