Princess just called us, can't believe!!

PattyMichael

My husband and I just got a call from Princess. We are all packed and ready to leave in the morning on the Sapphire to Mexico. They asked us if we wanted to give up our cabin (oceanview). They offered us a bancony and $500 ship board credit, if we would sail after March 25. My husband is already on vacation and my sons wedding is April 1. It sounds like a good deal, but we are all ready. Has this happened to anyone else? I guess they overbooked the cruise?

It happens quite often. More often than not. Five years ago we had somewhat of the same offer but at that time my DH was also onvacation from work and could not get off at that time so went ahead with the cruise. It might work for alot of people because $500 shipboard credit is nothing to sneeze at. Enjoy your cruise.

Marilyn

Not uncommon. Several years ago, we had half a dozen phone calls from Princess, including as late as the morning of our flight to catch the ship, trying to get us to take a bump.

Some of the offers were very sweet - but we kept the cruise!

This has happened a couple times to me (and I book through a travel agent). Princess called my TA and she called me.

I was offered a free cruise and upgrade to switch dates. Unfortunately - I had to turn it down. I have also been offered upgrades and shipboard credit before and have also had to turn those down also. It sounds great when you read about it on the boards but it is really difficult to switch things (such as FF miles, vacation time, Priceline hotels and private excursions) at the last minute.

I'm curious, for those of you this has happenned to, how did you book your cruise? Through Princess, through a travel agent, on-line?

Thanks,

Barb

Don't think it matters, we've had this happen several times with different TA's as well as online. It's basically the same as the airlines. When they're overbooked they try to sell cheap fares out for other dates.

My advice would be to hang on to your cabin. If they are so anxious to boot you then it must be a great fare and cabin. :)

This happened to us the day before our first Princess cruise in 2003. We didn't have a flight (we were driving to San Pedro) but we kept it. We were packed and counting down the hours. And we didn't want a balcony because of our then-five-year-old. Besides we didn't pay much to begin with (got an employee's discount from someone who was working for my hubby at the time).

Which cabin types generally get these offers? Inside? Oceanview? Balcony? Suites?

I have been asked when in inside, outside and when in a balcony. Sometimes they target a specific category (booked too many people in minisuites and no place to upgrade them to) and other times they just need any cabin (and they can move people around accordingly - that is why Princess likes to book guarantees).

So, I guess a GTY would not warrant the offer? A GTY means in the category you reserved or better, so would not require Princess asking if they could move you?

Actually - we were called on 2 guarantees. I believe on one case we had already been assigned a room and on the other case - we hadn't. When we said no, we got a significant upgrade - so it was sort of strange.

Thanks, Coral. So, it looks like there are no guidelines or rules of thumb to go by - sort of like the upgrade fairy. Actually, this is all related anyway.

They may target a certain group of cabins but the last time they called, they were desperate for anyone. My sailing went from very open two months earlier to having a huge Asian group on the sailing. Princess thought it was worth it to book the large group and ask others to switch to a different sailing. They had called 3x that week asking me to switch and each time, they kept upping the incentives.

they didn't call us, but we certainly got bumped up on our last princess cruise. we were supposed to have the worst of the worst :) inside, lower than low!

we ended up with an oceanview on the aloha deck right next to the terrace pool - it was sooooo cool!

im guessing they overbooked the insides on that one

It would be tough for me to change cruise dates. Not because of work...but because I likely would be so excited to get on board, that nothing would get in my way. If anyone from Princess is reading this, please make me an offer though...:p I mean, if I was offered the Captain's cabin, and he let me wear his hat, and they blocked off the aft pool just for my use...then I might consider.:D

Mexico and Princess tends to overbook. I learned that our last cruise. We learned from that to book a specific cabin. With just a guarantee, you dream of upgrade but may be more often asked to with good incentives to rebook. That would be nice if we were retired and did not schedule time off for the cruise.

A cruise is not an airline where if overbooked just a few hours will get the person there. A cruise is a solid week for us. It is all planned in advance, I would like to know the numbers of people who really do not show up for their cruise. I can not see it being high. My husband has some health foibles and he knows if a cruise is booked he will be on it even if it requires a stretcher.

I have sailed on Princess every year for the past 5 or 6 years...always at the end of April.

Book the cheapest inside cabin with a TA and every year Princess calls a week prior with a great offer to change. Have not accepted the offer yet but it is tempting.

I am also curious about your booking. Did you book a "Guarantee" or did you select an available cabin? I can see how this may happen with a guarantee as I hear the cruiselines do over book but if a cabin is available and it is confirmed at time of booking, how could they cancel you? Ike

I took a bump two years ago. I have a very flexable job with plenty of time off. I travel about 8 weeks a year, so no big deal to change plans at the last minute. This was for a cheap inside guarantee and ended up with a free later cruise. :) No airfare loss either. :)

Does it happen on all Princess ships or just a few with certain routes?

Cinder

I'd also like to know the answer to that. We live near two ports and most times it would be easy for us to switch as no air is involved but even after sailing on several princess cruises we have never been asked. I wouldn't settle for just upgrading to a suite as we already book a balcony and that wouldn't be enough incentive....guess I'd want a free cruise:D

It is good to keep in mind that Princess does overbook frequently. Last year I had an emergency come up at the last minute (without cruise insurance) and ended up simply forfeiting my fare on the CB. It turns out, I think, that the sailing was overbooked. Had I (or more importantly my TA) had the foresight to inquire of Princess, we probably could have cut a deal for the cancellation. Instead, Princess lucked out and got double revenue for my cabin (and didn't have to incentify someone to give up a cabin). Under those circumstances, I think it stinks....but it serves to remind me to check if I have to cancel....

It is good to keep in mind that Princess does overbook frequently. Last year I had an emergency come up at the last minute (without cruise insurance) and ended up simply forfeiting my fare on the CB. It turns out, I think, that the sailing was overbooked. Had I (or more importantly my TA) had the foresight to inquire of Princess, we probably could have cut a deal for the cancellation. Instead, Princess lucked out and got double revenue for my cabin (and didn't have to incentify someone to give up a cabin). Under those circumstances, I think it stinks....but it serves to remind me to check if I have to cancel....

That's what cruise insurance is for. I had to cancel a cruise at the last minute and I was sure glad I had the insurance.

Archived