When book a Alaska cruise now or lastminute?

SweetsugarNL

I'm from Europe so when i book a cruise im locked in a price. What is the best time to book a Alaska cruise. Now or 90 days before / lastminute? If i would like to go on a specific date in july (but with more ships  to choose for that date)? I think there sail five ships out on the same day

You have more choices in cabins booking further out, but only you know how confident you are to be able to commit to the cruise.

Also, HAL is not showing all of their available cabins on their site: you or your travel agent can call and ask about availability. On the US site, there is a place (to attempt) to book a specific cabin by number. If that cabin is booked, a message pops up under the number saying that it's no longer available. If it IS available but blocked out and not showing -- the screen goes white and the search has to be started over. But I was able to book one of those staterooms through my PCC!

I booked my Alaska cruise after the 90 days about 10 weeks out and I thought I was getting a great deal but the prices continued to drop until about 10 days out.  Fortunately I had my TA call HAL and was able to arrange a room upgrade for the difference in price. I went from a N-inside to a VH-Balcony, score!  I guess for you it’s up to you how much you want to gamble. There are so many ships going to Alaska now that there seems to be availability right to the end.

I booked an Alaska sailing about 30 days ago, we sail on Sunday from Anchorage. Last minute pricing was very inexpensive (in my opinion). $1200 including taxes/port charges in an Oceanview. 

A lot depends upon where you live.  Because if it involves flights, especially across the pond, what you may save in cruise fare will be more than offset by expensive last-minute flight booking.  I live in a Seattle suburb so I ALWAYS book my Alaska cruises at the VERY last minute, sometimes within about a week of sailing, when I'm certain there will not be a further drop in fare.  But I have that luxury because there are no flights involved.  If it departs from Seattle I have a friend drive me to the port.  If it departs from Vancouver I just jump on the first train in the morning. 

That being said, I really envy you.  So many GREAT itineraries sail from the Netherlands ports.  And also because Europe is relatively small...compared to USA.... you have so very many other choices involving short flights.

• Like 2

If you want a certain cabin, you should book early.  On an Alaska cruise in late June we wanted an aft wrap around Neptune Suite (great views), so we booked in November, 2018.  We were also able to lock in a great plane fare at about the same time.  We checked with our big box travel agency just before our final payment was due, and were able to get a slight price reduction.  For other cruises we might be more last minute, but for Alaska it was nice to book early.  

There is no telling when you will get the best deal.

If you aren't worried about the type of cabin you may get, then you can wait until about 90 days out.

Airline prices can be another factor since you are flying from the Netherlands.  Where we live, if we wait too long, there won't be any seats left on the flights.

Only you can decide when it will be best to book.