upgrading Wifi

goldy24

How long is the cruise?  How much WiFi do you anticipate using?  How many in your party will be using the WiFi?

As soon as you login the first time & activate the account on board you should get some pop-ups offering you extensions up to unlimited, as @jbethel11 pointed out above.  The key is arriving at a good guesstimate on how many WiFi minutes you anticipate using BEFORE your initial first login.  This way you can choose accordingly.  The unlimited for $109 strikes me as a pretty good deal so grab it if its offered!

If you choose a limited number of minutes make sure you type "logoff.com" in the URL on your browser when you're finished; that logs you off immediately.  Also your minutes you use round UP so if you're connected for 15 minutes and ONE second you've used 16 minutes.  Also using the NCL app for text messages, making dinner/show reservations, etc. does NOT count towards your minutes!

Hope you have a great cruise!

Just got back from the Epic Mediterranean cruise. Had the 250 free minutes. On day 2 there was a special to upgrade to unlimited. Cost us $55.00 to upgrade for the duration of the cruise. Great deal.

4 hours ago, tomk3212 said:

The unlimited for $109 strikes me as a pretty good deal so grab it if its offered!

The $109 is the credit given for the 250 minute perk. The cost is still around $30 for unlimited with streaming. Saving $109 is still good, but not the full cost.

On 7/25/2019 at 7:29 AM, tomk3212 said:

Also using the NCL app for text messages, making dinner/show reservations, etc. does NOT count towards your minutes!

Can anyone give more info on the NCL app?  I have the app on my phone, but when I access it I do not see any 'menu' where I could text. Does this occur only when on board? I would not need it to make dinner or show reservations. And, by 'texting' do you mean I could text  people back home? We are on the STAR doing the Greek Islands late October.

I will already have a 'wifi' hot spot that will furnish us with unlimited wifi while in various ports (we use this extensively while we are in Europe and are very pleased with speed) and the unit will work close to shore.  I guess I am asking more about the texting application of the NCL app.

On 7/25/2019 at 12:23 PM, Zippeedee said:

The $109 is the credit given for the 250 minute perk. The cost is still around $30 for unlimited with streaming. Saving $109 is still good, but not the full cost.

Can anyone clarify this more?  If I read the quote.. we have 250 minutes free, and that is 'worth' $109.00, and to upgrade it will cost only $30.00 ??  Clarifications, please.

Thanks!

Unlimited non streaming/VPN WiFi costs $30 a day, for 7 days = $210 and if brought or done by 10 pm on day 2, it's $30 x 6 = $180. The 250 minutes has a trade-in value of $125, as recent as our May cruise on the Dawn. Your net cost would be $85 or $55 for 6 days of unlimited access, one device only at a time. VPN and streaming is $5 higher per day.

I don't know where the $109 number come from, prices are subject to change without notice in advance, as that's NCL ...

The calling & texting module is unlocked and accessible when purchased onboard (only) when connected to ship's WiFi inTRAnet, no extra data charges or minutes deducted.  The current App is "Cruise Norwegian" - refer to as iConcierge App earlier, on iOS and Android Play Store for free download - it can be d/l onboard as well.  

A few screenshots for preview, posted quite a few times already as it's asked often here.

5f99da550c2df5a5063f9f613b0e2fb0.jpgc1e88a135cf889877dd0287101e25a76.jpgf4803de926e45f6912ca508b74045492.jpg9aa29fd1d346421aad7d8ef77c7d013d.jpgcfff64a81a5422c569afdeb41f0e3606.jpg

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 1

I've got the 250 minutes plus an extra 60 minutes as a free perk too. I rang NCL Customer Services yesterday to see what the price is to 'trade' it in towards the unlimited social media package, I was also going to purchase it now in advance of my cruise. The advisor told me that as the 250 + 60 minutes is a free perk I couldn't offset it to get a reduction against any purchased package and would have to pay full price. She said the best I can do is use up the free minutes on-board and then purchase a package for the remaining days.

Edited by Mim Lloyd

12 minutes ago, Mim Lloyd said:

I've got the 250 minutes plus an extra 60 minutes as a free perk too. I rang NCL Customer Services yesterday to see what the price is to 'trade' it in towards the unlimited social media package, I was also going to purchase it now in advance of my cruise ... 

Sorry, please read OP's question and our answers - this is done "once on the ship" - meaning, translation, in other words, you cannot do this in advance & definitely - 99.5% sure that you are not permitted to upgrade or purchase in advance.  As far as I know, unlike the Vibe passes, never "sold out" - you cannot use any of it until onboard your ship for the cruise.  Sit back & relax, you have other things to do and plan.