Does the CD really impact your cruise experience that much?

35 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Beautifully said LMaxwell. 100% agree. Been friends with a few staff over the years during a cruise when things were "more lax" than they are today, and this sentiment is totally true.

Disagree here. So ships/some itineraries yes, some no in my humble opinion. Also, a few people have noted that the larger ships it's tougher for the CD to be in enough public places for everyone to see and talk to. See how some fellow CC'ers speak of Graham Seymour for example.

Anyone sailing on Symphony this fall, you are in for a great surprise as far as what a great CD is when you witness Mike Szwajkowski... this guy I still remember to this day years later. The only CD ever to get a standing ovation in the theatre at the finale video before the farwell show started when his picture (not in person) appeared on the screen. The very best CD ever in my opinion. Hope he's as great now as he was 5-6 years ago.

Good news, Claudio.  Mike is better than ever.  He told me just what you said about the big ships.  He was flattered, of course, to be promoted to the Symphony, but was sad that he wouldn't get to interact with passengers much or do his magic tricks before shows.   He is just a manager of the entertainment program on a very large and complex floating city.  I am sure that he is doing a great job, but he always appreciates seeing a friendly and familiar face.

Do I choose or book a cruise because of a particular CD?  No, but I know many of them and can feel excited or disappointed when I find out who will be on an upcoming cruise.

Does it "ruin" my cruise if it's "disappointment"?  No, but I am happier when it is "excitement."

It's a very simple thing.  If you don't attend any of the activities or shows or watch the Morning Show on TV, you won't know who the CD is, so you obviously won't have an opinion of that person, or a recollection of that person.  And that's fine.

But there is no need to be dismissive of someone else who DOES go to activities and shows and  maybe even watched the Morning Show. 

Whatever you do, just be happy to be cruising.

• Like 5