Royal Princess - Alaska - MDR - dress code

POF1234

hi everyone, 

I've read a lot of threads about what to wear to dinner. I cruised once before ( about 8 years ago in the Caribbean ).  We are on Royal going to Alaska in a month. i have some questions as I try to get my wardrobe lined up.

I'm trying to figure out whether I pull something from summer clothes or my winter clothes to wear to dinner.  Will it be too cold for bare legs or should I bring some tights to go with my skirts. I assume the MDR is kept at a normal temp - so maybe bare legs.

I tend to run warm, so thinking of light fabric short sleeve blouses.  ( Can throw a sweater/wrap over if too cool).

I also have some light jersey knit tunics that would also work - but they are more winter and it will be first of September.  

What do you bring and wear to dinner ? 

• Haha 1

OP did not mention what time of the year they were going on an AK cruise.  In general it can be warm or cold in AK sometimes the same day!  The key to AK is to dress in layers.  Bring along lighter clothes that can be added/subtracted as needed.  The dress in AK is outdoors style for the rugged environment.  This is not a great time to bring fancy clothes that are made of light material.  Because the dress on the shore is outdoors style so are the pax dressed on the ship.  One important article of clothing is rain gear.  Ships stop in Ketchikan which is in a rainforest that produces over 200 inches of rain each year.  

• Haha 1

Thanks. We are traveling the first 2 weeks of Sept. I’m good with outdoor layers and rain gear. 

It it was really just what to bring as nicer clothes for dinner. Nothing too fancy but wasn’t sure about bare legs vs tights and short sleeves. I’ll most likely go with summer weight and add a cardigan or shawl. 

Will it be too cold for bare legs or should I bring some tights to go with my skirts. 

I read the first half and was about to post that there was a necessity for longs in the MDR; then I read the second half and changed my assumption to the OP being female!!!  I hope the assumption is correct!

13 hours ago, POF1234 said:

hi everyone, 

I've read a lot of threads about what to wear to dinner. I cruised once before ( about 8 years ago in the Caribbean ).  We are on Royal going to Alaska in a month. i have some questions as I try to get my wardrobe lined up.

I'm trying to figure out whether I pull something from summer clothes or my winter clothes to wear to dinner.  Will it be too cold for bare legs or should I bring some tights to go with my skirts. I assume the MDR is kept at a normal temp - so maybe bare legs.

I tend to run warm, so thinking of light fabric short sleeve blouses.  ( Can throw a sweater/wrap over if too cool).

I also have some light jersey knit tunics that would also work - but they are more winter and it will be first of September.  

Just come off the Grand to Alaska. In my view (and wife's) all the restaurants were very warm indeed. We were always hot, I didnt think the AC was working at all! It is all very casual at dinner, and from my view you would be OK for summer clothes while inside the ship. Outside was generally cooler and blowy, although we had a couple of 'shorts weather' days.

11 hours ago, satxdiver said:

OP did not mention what time of the year they were going on an AK cruise.  In general it can be warm or cold in AK sometimes the same day!  The key to AK is to dress in layers.  Bring along lighter clothes that can be added/subtracted as needed.  The dress in AK is outdoors style for the rugged environment.  This is not a great time to bring fancy clothes that are made of light material.  Because the dress on the shore is outdoors style so are the pax dressed on the ship.  One important article of clothing is rain gear.  Ships stop in Ketchikan which is in a rainforest that produces over 200 inches of rain each year.  

Funnily enough, Ketchikan was gloriously warm. No-one could believe it (there last week), and we took advantage of light sweater (taken off at times) and shorts!

On 7/29/2019 at 3:35 PM, POF1234 said:

hi everyone, 

Your assumption is correct - MDR, and the interior of the ship, is maintained at a constant general room temperature.  I tend to be always cold yet was fine on our Alaska sailing at dinner in mid-length skirts and dresses and short sleeve blouses.  It does get cool if you do venture out on deck in the dinner attire so definitely keep a pashmina or cardigan handy. 

We were on the Coral to Alaska in June, and I had the same question! I wore the same things in the dining room that I would wear on a Caribbean cruise and I was never cold anywhere inside the ship.  Also, I had heard that formal nights were a little less formal on an Alaskan cruise but I found that to be absolutely untrue.  I’m glad we were planning to dress up anyway, because people were very dressed up both formal nights. Maybe not all the way back to the days of tuxes and sequins, but   the most dressed up I’ve seen in awhile. It was our first Princess cruise,  but we’ve been on quite a few other lines, most recently HAL. I think Princess people must just dress better for dinner 😄

We’ll be on the Sky in January, so I’ll be able to test that theory!