Question About How CCL Travel Insurance Works

sc4125

My sister and I are booked on the Sept 14th cruise to Bermuda on the Brreze.  We both purchased CCL's travel insurance.  My sister just learned today that she has to have an angiogram next month due to an annurism.  Hopefully all will be well, but she may have to go through surgery or another procedure.  Obviously I wouldn't want to go if this ends up requiring brain surgery, but at this time the doctor thinks it may require a less invasive procedure but depending on when the procedure takes place she may not be cleared to travel.

My question is if she has to cancel and gets refunded would I have to pay the single rate if I chose to go on the cruise?  

Can I get a refund if the medical condition doesn't effect me?  We've been fortunate enough to never have a reason to use the travel insurance, but our luck may have fun out this time.

There's a link provided at the bottom of the webpage for Carnival's Vacation Protection, which can be found here: https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/vacation-protection.aspx

Click on the link at the bottom of that page to go to this page (https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/CCL_Landing.html) and choose your state from the drop-down menu to get your state-specific coverage info. Look closely at the reasons that are covered and also to the preexisting conditions clause. If your sister is covered under their policy, then it's possible you could be too.

First, I pray for the best for your sister. It looks like you are past the grace period for a direct Carnival refund so best course of action maybe for her not to cancel and just be a no show if you plan to cruise. This way you would not have to worry about the single supplement. She could file the claim for her part of the cruise. If neither of you are able to travel then just cancel whenever this is clear and file the claim. If you call the insurance company the may advise for what is best for them and not necessary in your best interest. God bless. 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

15 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

There's a link provided at the bottom of the webpage for Carnival's Vacation Protection, which can be found here: https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/vacation-protection.aspx

Click on the link at the bottom of that page to go to this page (https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/CCL_Landing.html) and choose your state from the drop-down menu to get your state-specific coverage info. Look closely at the reasons that are covered and also to the preexisting conditions clause. If your sister is covered under their policy, then it's possible you could be too.

Thanks for the links. Good information to know. 

• Like 1

OP, I'll just throw this out there for possible future reference. Won't really help you now, but maybe down the road for another cruise. Many people use third-party trip insurance. It's often cheaper than Carnival's with much better coverage. And you can get "Cancel for Any Reason" coverage (it will cost more) that'll refund monetarily instead of Carnival's future cruise credit. Carnival's Vacation Protection is actually underwritten by Nationwide, but you can find cheaper, better coverage going with them outside of Carnival. Many people use the website: https://www.insuremytrip.com/. It'll list multiple policies from different insurance providers to choose from.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

First, I pray for the best for your sister. It looks like you are past the grace period for a direct Carnival refund so best course of action maybe for her not to cancel and just be a no show if you plan to cruise. This way you would not have to worry about the single supplement. She could file the claim for her part of the cruise. If neither of you are able to travel then just cancel whenever this is clear and file the claim. If you call the insurance company the may advise for what is best for them and not necessary in your best interest. God bless. 

Thank you for both the information and your prayers for my sister.  

• Thanks 1

sc4125,

First, I really hope all goes well for your sister and you are both able to enjoy the cruise. About 4 years ago my DH and I had to cancel a cruise because my Mom had a stroke. We had insurance through Carnival. I called my PVP at Carnival and she told me exactly what I needed to do to cancel. We were refunded everything except the cost of the insurance. We never said without it. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 1:09 PM, sc4125 said:

My sister and I are booked on the Sept 14th cruise to Bermuda on the Brreze.  We both purchased CCL's travel insurance.  My sister just learned today that she has to have an angiogram next month due to an annurism.  Hopefully all will be well, but she may have to go through surgery or another procedure.  Obviously I wouldn't want to go if this ends up requiring brain surgery, but at this time the doctor thinks it may require a less invasive procedure but depending on when the procedure takes place she may not be cleared to travel.

My question is if she has to cancel and gets refunded would I have to pay the single rate if I chose to go on the cruise?  

Can I get a refund if the medical condition doesn't effect me?  We've been fortunate enough to never have a reason to use the travel insurance, but our luck may have fun out this time.

We used it last year when my SO was diagnosed with Wegner's Granulomatosis 3 days before we were supposed to board the ship. We had an older couple who were going with us that did not feel they would be comfortable going to go by themselves. The insurance company will provide all f the information that they will need. We filed cruise cost and airfare cost insurance claims with Carnival's insurance carrier. The doctors and hospital provided us with all of the medical information that we needed and we received every single dime for the cruise fare and airfare back for all 4 of us..  If this happens, make sure you cancel all other costs like excursions, onboard items, etc. before you cancel the cruise.

One other thing to be aware of is that the insurance company typically requires a doctor's certification that she should not travel.  I hope things go well and it is no problem but be prepared to be asked for that.  Since she is your sister that is usually covered by insurance.

On 7/30/2019 at 8:48 PM, Purvis1231 said:

Thank you for both the information and your prayers for my sister.  

This is the OP with an update and one more question.  It appears that my sister will not be able to sail due to the scheduling of the angiogram.  I have been advised by my PVP that since we are past final pay that sister will put in the claim to the insurance company for total reimbursement and I will be able to sail without having to pay any type of supplement.  If I chose to cancel the insurance will only give me a 75% credit for another cruise since the medical condition doesn't affect me.   

My PVP is a very nice person, but has been known to get a few things wrong - so I'm hoping someone has been in this situation and can reassure me that this info is correct and that I will be able to sail without paying extra.