Safety railings

Plastowc

Very silly question, but tragic recent events have got me thinking- how high are the safety railings on public decks? Are they solid glass or metal bars (i.e are they climbable ) 

Will be travelling with a 3 year old! 

Also, if you have a child in the kids club and they need to contact you if for example the child wants their parents or is Injured- how do they get hold of you? (Assuming phone signal doesn't work) 

Travelling on Ventura. 

Thanks !  

Railings and climbable - horizontal not vertical!  Above waist height 3'6" ish?  Not the kind of height to fall over accidently but children do need diligently supervising as they can be climbed - not even sure how wide the gaps are in relation to a small child slipping through!  Having occasionally observed some passengers and their lax (imo) supervision of young children,  I have thought for toddlers, reins wouldn't be inappropriate whilst on the promenade deck!   Hand holding at a minimum I would suggest - definitely not a running free area.  

Not a silly question and very sensible and responsible to be thinking such things through!  

Sorry can't help with the children's club query.  

Edited by kruzseeka

I've always thought its nigh on impossible to fall over a ship railing accidently- I'm 5'5 and they are normally around low chest height on me. You'd have to be deliberately climbing on them. So while the recent events are very tragic, they wouldn't have happened without the child being sat on the railing by an adult. I wouldn't worry too much about your 3yr old- we are travelling with my 3yr old nephew in a few weeks and I'm not concerned about any accidents. But like all things toddler, constant supervision is indeed needed! I don't believe they'd be able to climb the railings as they are, but perhaps if they dragged a chair over to them or something, and even without that there's plenty of things on a ship for them to pickle with and get in trouble.

2 hours ago, SquishTheWhale said:

I've always thought its nigh on impossible to fall over a ship railing accidently- I'm 5'5 and they are normally around low chest height on me. You'd have to be deliberately climbing on them. So while the recent events are very tragic, they wouldn't have happened without the child being sat on the railing by an adult. I wouldn't worry too much about your 3yr old- we are travelling with my 3yr old nephew in a few weeks and I'm not concerned about any accidents. But like all things toddler, constant supervision is indeed needed! I don't believe they'd be able to climb the railings as they are, but perhaps if they dragged a chair over to them or something, and even without that there's plenty of things on a ship for them to pickle with and get in trouble.

Totally agree. 

We have taken 3 year old on a cruise in a balcony cabin and she was told by her parents before we left that she was not to climb anywhere and she was to do whatever she was told to do by us.  We had no problems other than if we both went inside while she was on the balcony she immediately followed us in and demanded that one of us went outside with her to be sure she didn't climb on the seats 😂😂

• Like 1

Any gaps between railings would be 100mm or 4 inches as this is the maximum distance apart for stair balustrades and outside railings according to building regulations. A sphere over100mm shouldn’t be able to pass through any part of the balustrade/safety railing.

Unless your 3 year old climbed or was lifted up there is very little chance of them falling over the barriers.

When our children were younger we used toddler reins, the public areas can be very busy and people are busy enjoying themselve, not looking down to see a toddler until they have knocked them over.

We didn't leave our toddlers alone in the cabin or on balcony, as a parent you already know how quickly they can move!  We took velcro strap with us to close the balcony door.

Children's club on Ventura is great, if staff do need you they can track your cruise card use. Sometimes the staff in children club ask you to notify the crew members in the dining room or bar so that you can be contacted.

The crew members are amazing with toddlers, we have some wonderful memories of cruises, off again in few days but ours aren't toddler's anymore eldest is 12.

Our children are 3 and 4 and we have cruised with them regularly since they were babies so definitely understand your concerns.

Balcony doors are lockable at the top so you can be sure they can't head outside without you knowing.  We always say that the chairs/tables must not be pushed against the railings and they must sit down not climb, and of course ensure we are outside with them every second of the time they are on the balcony.

Around the ship we are always with them so no real worries, yes, they could climb, but they are well supervised by us, just as they would be elsewhere.

Kids clubs have pagers they give out when children are in night nursery and they are also happy to give them out if you are particularly concerned there might be any issue whilst they are in kids club sessions during the day, just ask for one.

Happy sailing, it's a great family holiday.

19 hours ago, hansol1966 said:

Any gaps between railings would be 100mm or 4 inches as this is the maximum distance apart for stair balustrades and outside railings according to building regulations. A sphere over 100mm shouldn’t be able to pass through any part of the balustrade/safety railing.

This might well be true of UK building regulations but on ships of an international registration this does not happen.  In the safety lecture at Muster Drill the do not sit on ships' rails and do not let children sit on them even if you are holding them needs to be heeded. A lot of parents are completely new to cruising and they need to look at children's safety just as they would in their home towns and normal life. I should not allow a child on the balcony alone, if I had to come in they came in first then bolted up.  Then I go back out they follow, simples.  Falling off the ship is only remotely possible from balconies and the promenade deck.  There is a high internal bolt on balcony doors and anyone with a child on the promenade deck should take extreme care with supervision.  The millennial generation tend to be trusting that things will be safe and unwittingly take risks.  I was leaning on the promenade deck railing looking out to sea and a couple came along and did the same next to me.  I asked them if they had checked the bolt on the gate they were leaning on was shut because the pin was out.  They became a bit shook up.  Always look and see if your promenade deck rail section is actually an access gate.  People need to look out for themselves particularly if they holiday internationally.  Many countries around the world have much lower safety levels and it is never going to be desirable to rely on total safety be assumed. Does anyone remember the recent RCI fell out a window incident? How does that happen.

Regards John

Edited by john watson