Daytime wear, QM2

lovetotraveltx

2 hours ago, lovetotraveltx said:

This is our first crossing at the end of August. What do women and men usually wear around the ship during the day? Thank you!

Anything goes during the day, just casual wear including shorts for. men.  After  6.00pm a different ball game, smart casual at least, do not worry about your dress.🍷🥃

Beach wear around the pool if the weather is being kind, otherwise reasonably smart. Think country club, but don't go nuts, it's a holiday!

Most pax enjoy the evening atmosphere when (almost) everyone is dressed for dinner.

Stewart

Whatever you are comfortable in... 

Jeans, polo shirts, t-shirts, shorts, light sweaters if its chilly, bathing suits around the pool, basically whatever you feel comfortable in and keeps your dignity covered! 

Some, including myself, opt to go a little smarter, with smart jeans, shirt and a jacket, or such like, but you will see all sorts of different day wear. 

Hope you have a wonderful crossing! Remember to take a a light jacket/cadigan for the daytime on deck...! Even if it is warm and barmy outside, remember you will be zipping along at quite a clip, so there will be a breeze on deck from the speed of the ship too. 

As has been said before, the weather on the North Atlantic can change on a dime.  On QM2 crossings, I have roasted in April and been chilly in late August.  For on deck, you need to have layers available.  I take a waterproof jacket, a sweater, and just in case, a beret.  The decks can sometimes be wet, so you will not want slippery footwear.  For inside, I wear chinos/jeans and a blouse.  My husband wears chinos and a shirt.  

Have a wonderful time!

• Like 1

Great question.  I'm old school, I admit it.   I like to dress commensurate with my surroundings, the occasion and the climate.  As I usually favor cold weather crossings, my daytime dress tends to be a bit more formal than is technically required by Cunard.  I wear khakis or cotton trousers and a collared shirt during daytime activities,  a jacket and wool trousers (no tie) at lunch in the dining room,  and then whatever the evening dress code is for the day. Breakfast is probably the most informal attire for me,  jeans or khakis and a collared shirt.  I don't wear athletic shoes in the dining rooms regardless of the meal.   

A few reasons for my relative formality of dress: 1) the dining rooms on QM2 (and indeed the whole ship) are beautiful.  I just feel better dressed to both reflect and honor the space.  2) Transatlantic crossings have a long storied history and are a means of getting from A to B so they just feel a bit more serious.  Many of your fellow passenger will share this view, and are traveling with you because it is not a cruise per se.  3) It's cold (-ish) and windy on the North Atlantic so layers and heavier clothes are needed.

I seldom if ever go to the Kings Court buffet, since the dining rooms are so beautiful and the service so spot on.  The Carinthia lounge however, is a beautiful room and great for light meals, and you would not be out of place either dressing smartly or informally there.  In addition we ended up in the Golden Lion pub for lunch one day on the spur of the moment, but we had dressed for lunch in the dining room, so we felt a bit overdressed and silly.  Nonetheless that lunch was a high point of the trip.  In my opinion it's probably the best spot for an informally attired lunch. Great view of zipping along the waves too!

Ultimately it's your trip, so you need to dress how you feel comfortable.  No need to stress, as there are venues on the QM2 for all sartorial levels. After a day or two aboard you'll pick up on the vibe.  In the meantime, get excited: a wonderful adventure and the whole North Atlantic awaits!

• Thanks 1

Both my husband and I are jeans and t-shirt people (no prizes for guessing that we are on the younger end of the Cunard age spectrum) and that's what we wear during the day. If it's cold outside we add hoodies. We've never felt out of place anywhere on the ship. You do see people dressed in all sorts during the day. Just whatever you feel comfortable in - so long as you aren't flashing anyone!

It goes without saying that at night its a suit/dinner jacket for him and a nice dress for me. Even though we are very informal people, the dressing up in the evening is one of our favourite parts of Cunard.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, ClipperinSFO said:

As I usually favor cold weather crossings, my daytime dress tends to be a bit more formal than is technically required by Cunard.  I wear khakis or cotton trousers and a collared shirt during daytime activities,  a jacket and wool trousers (no tie) at lunch in the dining room.

Ultimately it's your trip, so you need to dress how you feel comfortable.  No need to stress, as there are venues on the QM2 for all sartorial levels. After a day or two aboard you'll pick up on the vibe.  In the meantime, get excited: a wonderful adventure and the whole North Atlantic awaits!

4 hours ago, tacticalbanjo said:

Both my husband and I are jeans and t-shirt people (no prizes for guessing that we are on the younger end of the Cunard age spectrum) and that's what we wear during the day.

The above sums it up quite well - in the daytime (up to 6 pm) you will see a mix of attire from the more formal to casual - so wear what you feel comfortable in (within reason!).  I will happily dine in QG in jeans and a polo at breakfast and lunch before changing into black tie for dinner!

I agree with all afore mentioned! Even if one feels not like dressing up to the nines in the evening- Deck 7 is a wonderful option! The Carrinthia Lounge is wonderful place to sit and relax - read- listen to whatever they offer. I like the more formal athmosphere on board the Cunard Liners! On longer sailings I usualy skip one formal night in favor of enjoying deck 7!

During the day I dress comfortable - just changeing my shoes when joining this wonderful afternoon tea in the Queens Room!

I forgot to change my shoes once  - and ended up dancing ( it was dance tea) in my  slipin sandals- not very elegant i fear- but we had so much fun. We called it our Sandal- Dance!

• Like 3