Hop on hop off buses Rome

Suebiker

Not right at the train station, you would need to walk down the hill and across the river for most of them, I think only the Roma Cristiana HOHO has a stop on the Vatican side of the river.

That said, HOHO buses in Rome are kind of a waste as they move slowly and don't get very close to the key attractions.

This site offers a comparison of the different offerings:  https://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/rome_hop_on_tour_bus.htm

St. Pietro Station is on the opposite of St. Peter's Square from where the Hoho busses make their stop.    I only did a HoHo once, when I wasn't feeling well but wanted to be outside.  If I remember, the one I took (the red one) had their stop a couple of blocks down (East) Via della Concilliazione.  The train station is to the South , about a 15 minute walk to St. Peter's Square.  

38 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

That said, HOHO buses in Rome are kind of a waste as they move slowly and don't get very close to the key attractions.

I'm a fan of ho-hos in most cities - but for Rome  I'll second EC's comment, especially for those on a one-day port-of-call & for whom time is their enemy..

The ho-hos shuttle between Termini station, Colosseum and St Peter's with very little to see in-between. .

And they spend ten minutes or more idling at the station & St Peter's.

Your train ticket gives you free travel on Rome's (rather limited) metro system and local buses.

It's easiest and most enjoyable to walk between Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Trevi, Forum & Colosseum.

JB :classic_smile:

32 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Your train ticket gives you free travel on Rome's (rather limited) metro system and local buses.

This is only true if you buy the BIRG ticket sold by ATAC, the regular Trenitalia ticket does not entitle you to local public transit in Rome.

11 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

This is only true if you buy the BIRG ticket sold by ATAC, the regular Trenitalia ticket does not entitle you to local public transit in Rome.

Agreed, but  I do try to avoid complications and ifs and buts when posting - and surely the BIRG ticket is what all (mebbe 99%) of port-of-call cruisers  buy? And whether they buy tickets at the station ticket office, or the station news-stand, or from shops or other vendors in Civi.

Edited by John Bull

41 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Agreed, but  I do try to avoid complications and ifs and buts when posting - and surely the BIRG ticket is what all (mebbe 99%) of port-of-call cruisers  buy? And whether they buy tickets at the station ticket office, or the station news-stand, or from shops or other vendors in Civi.

There are also a fair number that take the cruiseline-offered "transportation into Rome by train" which also dumps passengers at San Pietro...

I understand wanting to avoid too much detail (something I'm often guilty of) but I'd hate for someone to read that statement and think that all train tickets afford them free transit in Rome.

I suspect that fewer people are aware of the BIRG than you think.  Those of us who've been posting on these pages for years know of it but first timers may not have heard of it.

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

I suspect that fewer people are aware of the BIRG than you think.  Those of us who've been posting on these pages for years know of it but first timers may not have heard of it.

I didn't know about it when I first went from Civi to Rome - I just asked the guy at the news-stand for return tickets to Rome, and he gave me BIRG tickets. :classic_smile:

But your point taken