Desserts

Mennis517

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

I was told emphatically by the man who knows that NOTHING was eliminated from the menu only things were added..

So I am sorry you had a bad experience..

Jancruz1

Maybe the wait staff  that Pearl had  was not as informed as they should have been

I am sorry but  some of the new staff are not  trained  the Oceania way  when they arrive & must learn on the job 

which is not good for  the pax

Lyn

On Nautica in July they eliminated the one offered NSA ice cream from the displays in Terrace and Waves, instead offering 2 plant based (so no milk, but plenty of sugar). If you ask, they would go downstairs and bring you a NSA cup ... but only once did they know the flavor before bringing it to you. On regular MDR desert menu they stopped listing the NSA ice cream flavor of the day, but flagged multiple plant based options. Again, you could order the NSA selection, but the staff rarely knew what it would be. The separate NSA desert menu was still available in the MDR on request ... the waiters would then run around the MDR searching and eventually find one.

So in all venues it is still available, but you have to know the option exists, you have to request it, and the staff has to leave their regular duties to get it for you. If you don’t know the option exists, you’re out of luck.

We complained to head chef and restaurant manager and 3 days later they did have one NSA ice cream in the Terrace display, but nothing else was fixed.

On 8/4/2019 at 2:55 PM, LHT28 said:

Maybe the wait staff  that Pearl had  was not as informed as they should have been

I am sorry but  some of the new staff are not  trained  the Oceania way  when they arrive & must learn on the job 

which is not good for  the pax

Lyn

But I don't think that is anything new ...

Our first cruise on Oceania was a B2B in Jan-Feb 2004:  LA to Costa Rica to Miami (the second leg going through the Canal).  There was a big crew changeover in Costa Rica and the drop in service was immediately obvious ... BUT ... they did learn quickly.

Unfortunately, our favorite server (who seemed to be about 8 feet tall) left the ship at that time ... he had been wonderful with my mother who was in the early stages of Alzheimer's, although she hadn't yet been diagnosed.  But when she couldn't remember the names for "coffee" and "tea", he just served her what she'd always requested.  With her, the one syllable words disappeared but three and four syllable words never did ...

Mura

53 minutes ago, Mura said:

But I don't think that is anything new ...

Our first cruise on Oceania was a B2B in Jan-Feb 2004:  LA to Costa Rica to Miami (the second leg going through the Canal).  There was a big crew changeover in Costa Rica and the drop in service was immediately obvious ... BUT ... they did learn quickly.

Mura

I think back then it may have been excusable as they were still new to  the cruise industry & getting crew may have been more challenging... but not now

we went June 2004  & the crew were outstanding

The hiring company (Apollo)  should be screening these  crew they are hiring to make sure they do have experience  in the job they are applying for

JMO

Lyn, I agree that there is no excuse for this kind of thing to happen.  Even when they were new, there really wasn't an excuse ... it's not like TPTB coming from Renaissance didn't have SOME idea of how to run a cruise ship ...  I'll grant that there may have been some reasons why they needed to bring on ill-prepared crew, but we were never informed if that was the case ... or why IF it was the case.  (Not that the brass typically informs passengers of such details.)

But even so, ignoring all that ... the service we had on the second leg of that cruise, while not up to snuff, really wasn't that horrible.  And it only lasted for a couple of days.  I guess the holdovers took them in hand and quickly informed them what they should be doing.

But when a long time cruiser posts here that they aren't returning to Oceania because of a disastrous cruise (after many successful ones), and management ignores his complaints ... that is NOT a good sign.  And I just saw such a post today ...

Mura

Mura

i agree on many points

When they have a big turn over in staff it seems to take a few days to get  the rhythm  together

I do notice some things have changed on O & some not for the better

We very much enjoyed our last cruise (May 2018) but -- we were in an Oceania Suite.  While we don't feel that there is "status" on the ships -- in terms of how people are treated -- I can't deny that those of us in suites get better care than others.  The butlers are certainly very helpful!

Our cruise was more than a year ago and we did NOT notice a decline in food.  That doesn't mean I ignore comments to the contrary since then!  Unfortunately, given DH's condition I don't know that I'll be traveling soon ... although I would really like to.  It's not that I won't travel alone, it's that I'm concerned about leaving HIM alone!

Mura

• Like 1

I'm sorry Mura about your husband's health and the resultant inability to travel.  You sound like a lovely person, and one I'd like to meet on a future cruise.  It always seems that when the same folks who perpetually snark at each other get at it, you arrive with a well thought, kind observation about the matter.  Thank you.  

• Like 1

Oceania is good about getting you info about ingredients. My spouse is diabetic. I cannot eat nuts. I always ask if a dessert has sugar or nuts. There used to be signs showing sugar free desserts. It would be nice if  cruises labeled nut free items. Just sailed on Azamara. I was pleased that desserts had signs...sugar free,  nut free, gluten free, vegan, etc.