Med cruise - Schengen question

daisy-mae

I know this question is not strictly related to HAL, but since there are many knowledgeable folk on this board, I thought I would start here.

Does anyone know if passport control applies at each port once the passenger has entered the Schengen zone? 

We are travelling with friends who are dual US/CDN citizens; they will be entering France with Canadian passports and boarding a cruise in Marseille. However, they have registered their US passports with the cruise line and have realized that one of the passports expires within the next two months. The ship will be stopping in Italy and Spain before returning to France. Since we will have already entered the Schengen zone, is this likely to be an issue?

I know that the safest approach would be to contact the cruise line, which is what we have suggested...

Could they switch to their Canadian passports (with the cruise line) if they are more current?  I don't think there will be problems with the countries themselves, but the cruise lines usually have a requirement that passports have 6 months to go at least...

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

Could they switch to their Canadian passports (with the cruise line) if they are more current?  I don't think there will be problems with the countries themselves, but the cruise lines usually have a requirement that passports have 6 months to go at least...

In 2016 my passport was expiring in 6 months and I called HAL in regards to same question. HAL said I was fine BUT if it was 3-4 months their would be an issue !

I agree can they use their Canadian passport to be safe

Denise😊

If they try to fly to Europe t to catch the ship with the US passport, they will be denied boarding. You must have three or six months validity depending on the country. Period. As another dual, it's better to just renew that passport now and not futz around. Your friend has enough time. Then don't forget to update the info to HAL.

They are flying to Europe and entering France on Canadian passports (see original post), so will not be denied entry. It's too late to renew the passport as departure is in a month. 

Since I posted the question he has been in touch with the cruise line and has added the Canadian passport info (good for another few years). No need to update info to HAL as we are cruising with another line (but I asked the question here as folks on these boards are usually helpful).

2 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

They are flying to Europe and entering France on Canadian passports (see original post), so will not be denied entry. It's too late to renew the passport as departure is in a month. 

Since I posted the question he has been in touch with the cruise line and has added the Canadian passport info (good for another few years). No need to update info to HAL as we are cruising with another line (but I asked the question here as folks on these boards are usually helpful).

I am happy you were able to get your friends use their Canadian passport👍

Im so glad !! Have a wonderful cruise!

Denise😊

• Like 1