Porthole cabins on Veendam

lisakoivu

I am about to take my mom on her first (last minute) cruise on the Veendam, Canada New England. There are some great deals to be had. Anyone have any experience with the front porthole cabins? They are pretty much all that is left. Are they noisy? Is the motion terrible? Any advice you can give would be great. My mom is 72, in great health, slightly deaf (lol). She has never been on a ship, but has never suffered motion sickness. She IS slightly claustrophobic, which is why I'm thinking being able to see light from outside would be helpful, but I don't think we need a view or anything. It's a port intensive cruise, only one sea day, so I really think we will only be there to sleep and watch a movie before bed, but I thought I'd see if anyone has any advice or tips. Thank you all so much. 

We have been on the Veendam twice, the second time was prior to the dry dock.  Both times we had an ocean view cabin on Deck 4.  I can't speak to the porthole cabins, but the view from the window in our cabin was great.  We had the same cabin on both sailings.  Prior to these two cruises, we had only sailed in balcony cabins.  We did not miss the balconies.  

BaltimoreCruise  

We had G501 in May, 2018 from Boston to Bermuda. This was the farthest forward cabin. We had 2 portholes, very deep - much like the photos on halfacts. I liked the stateroom - we were docked portside and had good light and could see out quite well if we knelt on the bed (we were king bed configuration). 

We were very rocky the last night coming home, and felt it quite a lot, but I think the whole ship felt that, maybe not quite as much as those far forward. Otherwise it was fine. I loved having the portholes and the light, and they were traditional looking, so I appreciated that. I do not remember the cabin being noisy other than when we were docking. 

The porthole cabins the most forward often feel (and are) smaller because of the hull curvature.  Best to get one as far aft (but still in the forward part of the ship) as possible.  Main deck can be better than A deck because the curvature is less.