Captains dinner attire

deb380

More suits than tuxes. Women weare everything from beaded gowns/cocktail dresses/formal pantsuits. My "rule of thumb" is wear whatever you'd wear at a wedding/job interview for an executive position

I wore a Tux on my last cruise and really liked it. It was fun to do something different and it really made the evening and the cruise feel more like something special as opposed to just going on vacation or having dinner out here in my home town. It seemed like there were quite a few people in tuxedos on the cruise and a good number of dress military uniforms which were great to see as well.

Hi, most folks dress appropriately for the formal evenings.

The operative word.......MOST.

You will see cocktail dresses, long gowns, pants suits on the women.

Men are usually in suits and yes, tuxes.

Now, it might also depend on the cruiseline and specific ship too.

Cotton, we have not chatted but I have seen your posts in the past.

I hope you and your family are doing allright. I believe I read you

were hit by Katrina and wanted to send you my good thoughts.

At the Gala Captain's dinner, which I assume is the one you would dress up more for.

Do woman wear long formal dresses? HOw many men wear tuxes or is a suit ok?

THanks Debbie

Debbie,

All ships recommend black tie for formal night, which means tuxes or dark suits for the men and gowns, long dresses, formal pant outfits or cocktail dresses for women. This dress code is the suggested attire for the entire evening and the ship takes on a more formal glow - all the staff are in dressier uniforms, there's a Capt's cocktail party, lots of photographers taking formal portraits, the dining room is more festive and dinner is more elaborate. Some ships offer alternative dining options like the buffet or a different dining room for those who prefer to be casually dressed.

Exactly how many men wear a tuxedo vs a suit varies by cruiseline and you'll probably see less tuxes on Carnival & NCL than on Celebrity, Princess or HAL. Same ratio for gowns/long dresses vs short cockail dresses.

Some lines will not allow people in the main dining room without formal attire and some will.

And this is where the "great debate" comes into play and you'll see the following general attitudes towards the dresscode:

1. I love to dress up. It's part of the cruise experience and what I "signed up for".

2. Don't love to dress up on vacation, but I believe that following the dress code is "the respectul thing to do"

3. I really don't care what the dresscode is. "It's my vacation, I can afford to be here so don't bother me with you attire suggestions".

Only you can decide which category you want to be in.

Have a great cruise.

Jane (in #2 category)

Debbie,

All ships recommend black tie for formal night, which means tuxes or dark suits for the men and gowns, long dresses, formal pant outfits or cocktail dresses for women. This dress code is the suggested attire for the entire evening and the ship takes on a more formal glow - all the staff are in dressier uniforms, there's a Capt's cocktail party, lots of photographers taking formal portraits, the dining room is more festive and dinner is more elaborate. Some ships offer alternative dining options like the buffet or a different dining room for those who prefer to be casually dressed.

Exactly how many men wear a tuxedo vs a suit varies by cruiseline and you'll probably see less tuxes on Carnival & NCL than on Celebrity, Princess or HAL. Same ratio for gowns/long dresses vs short cockail dresses.

Some lines will not allow people in the main dining room without formal attire and some will.

And this is where the "great debate" comes into play and you'll see the following general attitudes towards the dresscode:

1. I love to dress up. It's part of the cruise experience and what I "signed up for".

2. Don't love to dress up on vacation, but I believe that following the dress code is "the respectul thing to do"

3. I really don't care what the dresscode is. "It's my vacation, I can afford to be here so don't bother me with you attire suggestions".

Only you can decide which category you want to be in.

Have a great cruise.

Jane (in #2 category)

LOl Makes it sound as though you have to dress fancy dancy or be a outcast..............:eek:

My 3 recomendations are this...

#1 Bathe....this is always a great start........lol

#2 Never go with wet hair.....doesnt take a brain surgeon on this on:rolleyes:

#3 Dress a bit nicer on the formal nights or go all out which ever makes you feel comfortable. You can be respectful without a suit.

My Dh is handicap and has a very hard time wearing a suit because he wears 2 braces. He has never been made to feel out of place or at ill ease. He was never alone in his attire, nor has he been turned away on any of our cruises. He was treated with just as much respect as the man in the tux :)

It really floats my boat when people tell you it is the "respectful" thing to do. If you dont know all the circumstances you shouldnt be judging people how they dress anyway, but to no avail there are a few who do this.

And please Jane i am not picking on you just using one of your examples... Its not personal

I can say that aboard the Liberty for Europe the FOrmal night was strangly adheared to. Another night a guy came to Dinner in Jean shorts and a Muscle shirt and was not allowed into dinner. I can say that for Europe I did make my spouse buy a Suit, but for Carib he generally wears a nice shirt and jacket, no tie. never had a problem with that. I wear both long and short formal wear or cocktail dresses.

Archived