Transport from Southampton to London

K.S.

I’m aware that Cunard can arrange coach transport from Southampton to London, but are there alternatives? I hate busses. Specifically, I’d want to travel by train from the port to London. Any experiences shared are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

43 minutes ago, K.S. said:

I’m aware that Cunard can arrange coach transport from Southampton to London, but are there alternatives? I hate busses. Specifically, I’d want to travel by train from the port to London. Any experiences shared are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Easily done , by Taxi from Port to Southampton Central, Train Station Platform 1, then South Western Railway Service to London Waterloo.

However if you are travelling to Heathrow Airport, you will need the South Western Railway, Rail-Air Service (Ticket) and Change at Woking Railway Station  to a coach for the short journey  to Heathrow Airport Terminals.

Southern Railway  (Green Trains)  also serve Southampton Central to Gatwick Airport and London Victoria Railway Station, although cheaper it   can be a longer Journey Time.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Edited by Pennbank
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Pennbank said:

Easily done , by Taxi from Port to Southampton Central, Train Station Platform 1, then South Western Railway Service to London Waterloo.

However if you are travelling to Heathrow Airport, you will need the South Western Railway, Rail-Air Service (Ticket) and Change at Woking Railway Station  to a coach for the short journey  to Heathrow Airport Terminals.

Southern Railway  (Green Trains)  also serve Southampton Central to Gatwick Airport and London Victoria Railway Station, although cheaper it   can be a longer Journey Time.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Thank you for this. I would be going into the city.

At one time Cunard offered rail service did they not? A day tour of Southampton, followed by rail transport to London, which included lunch aboard the train?

Edited by K.S.

The most recent rail service was with the Orient Express. I never took that, but I recall the disembarking passengers started out on a coach tour  which would later return to the dock. The passengers would transfer from the coach to the train which had arrived from London with the embarking passengers.

Long before that there were boat trains to and from London Waterloo that met most ships at the former Ocean Terminal, the Queen Elizabeth II terminal and the Western Docks such as piers 105/106, now known as the Mayflower terminal.  We used boat trains to and from the ships almost every time. It was a very convenient service. Admittedly, not everyone wants to go to London. The boat trains were especially civilised going to Southampton because passengers would leave their luggage with porters at London Waterloo and not have to deal with it until it arrived in the cabin.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

The most recent rail service was with the Orient Express. I never took that, but I recall the disembarking passengers started out on a coach tour  which would later return to the dock. The passengers would transfer from the coach to the train which had arrived from London with the embarking passengers.

Long before that there were boat trains to and from London Waterloo that met most ships at the former Ocean Terminal, the Queen Elizabeth II terminal and the Western Docks such as piers 105/106, now known as the Mayflower terminal.  We used boat trains to and from the ships almost every time. It was a very convenient service. Admittedly, not everyone wants to go to London. The boat trains were especially civilised going to Southampton because passengers would leave their luggage with porters at London Waterloo and not have to deal with it until it arrived in the cabin.

Yes, the Orient Express service, that’s what I was thinking of! Thanks for having that answer.

Of course I was aware of the historic Boat Train service. Pity that was stopped. Le Havre-Paris/Gare Saint-Lazare too on the other side of the channel.

5 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

Boy that was a long, long time ago. On my first QM2 in 2004 voyage we took the VSOE service from Victoria to Southampton to the QE terminal. It was a luncheon train with a great meal (at about $400 per as I recall). The same train waited for the Southampton tour passengers to return to head for London. The Luggage transport was by truck (lorry) and it was there when the passengers arrived on both ends. 

I have tried to book it again, but is hasn't been offered. 

• Thanks 1

That beautiful poster would have been for London Euston to Liverpool service on the LMS-; before WW1 I believe all Cunard ships sailed from Liverpool. After that the express service went from Southampton. 

White Star was the first of the major Atlantic companies to shift to Southampton from which Oceanic and the 'Big Four' sailed before Olympic and Titanic. The London & Southwestern Ry. from Waterloo handled that service.

Apparently Liverpool was a difficult port for the very large liners even though both Cunard and White Star were HQ'd there. Also Southampton was closer to London and the continental ports,  The old White Star HQ is now a rather elegant and pricey hotel.☺️

Back in the day I sailed on QE and found out there was to be no Boat Train. Ship's staff said that after British railways were privatized, the ship had arrived  on two occasions to find that there was no train despite arrangements. Cunard gave up and began the bus service. Also I guess more and more folks now are headed to the airports and tours, rather than London-still the train was fast and very comfortable. The tracks are there at the QE terminal, but they're used for car carriers; and there are no tracks at the new Ocean Terminal. 😞

On our last arrival in Southampton, almost two years ago,  there was a sign at the Queen Elizabeth II Terminal saying "to the trains" (sigh). The high-level platform and track were still there. 

On a P&O  cruise in 1991 we were told that would be the last year of the traditional  boat train service. After that there were only special charters.

This is one of my favourite views of a "Cunarder" boat train. I have a jig-saw puzzle with this picture.

554967224_Cunardboattrain.jpg.73a928b555ef87e2a9866d675952e1a9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1