What to do in Fairbanks????

scbusf

Hubby and I are starting our trip in Fairbanks on August 28. We originally had an excursion booked to see the Aurora Borealis, but we aren't sure we want to take the chance.

What is your favorite thing to do in Fairbanks? We live on the East Coast of the US, and I expect I will be pretty jet lagged, especially after an entire day of traveling to get there.

You don't need to book an excursion to attempt to view the aurora. Just the willingness to brave some cold and dark place away from light pollution. There are web pages that will set up alerts on your phone when the aurora are active. So not downtown Fairbanks. Near the beginning of September you don't get full darkness but near 5 hours of astronomical twilight which just 30 miles outside Fairbanks is just nearly full dark. Farther down near Cantwell/Denali you do get full dark between 1:22 and 2:30am and the area is darker than near downtown Fairbanks. Just try to get away from light pollution at the right time if the sky is clear. Don't miss out on the opportunity to view aurora. Use this page to work out where and when if the weather is nice  https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/fairbanks

We were just in Fairbanks for our precruise land trip.  We came in a day early.  Unfortunately it rained the whole time. We just wanted to get out and walk a little.  We took the hotel shuttle to downtown and walked along the river to the visitor center which was quite good. We had lunch at the Fudge Pot. Lots of locals as well as tourists.  Very small place. 

I assume you are on a precruise land trip with Princess. They probably will take you on the riverboat.  That was excellent. 

As as far as the Aurora... it has a 27 -28 day cycle as to high activity.  There are apps or THIS is a good site.  You can see Aug 28 has some mild activity (Kp=3) predicted but Sept 1 is your best bet (Kodiak=5).  We had clouds and rain and limited darkness in early August.  I hope you have a chance of seeing it.

16 hours ago, scbusf said:

Hubby and I are starting our trip in Fairbanks on August 28. We originally had an excursion booked to see the Aurora Borealis, but we aren't sure we want to take the chance.

What is your favorite thing to do in Fairbanks? We live on the East Coast of the US, and I expect I will be pretty jet lagged, especially after an entire day of traveling to get there.

Discovery Riverboat cruise and Pioneer Park.

Edited by Robinhill
mispelling

If you want to be able to explore some a car would be your best bet.  You should be able to get something for less than $100.  Fairbanks is spread out and, unless  you're right downtown, not an easy walk to get places.  One of my favorite things to do is have lunch at the Hilltop Truckstop on the Steese highway north of town maybe 15-20 minutes.  Along the way is a small park like area with a section of the Alaska pipeline running through it.  There are some displays and information plaques there.  Out east of town about 10-15 minutes is North Pole, Alaska where there is a giant Christmas store called Santa Claus House - Santa is there every day.

We just spent 4 days there last week and had a rental car (really cheap). We highly recommend taking 1 day to do the Gold Dredge #8 tour and the a Riverboat Discovery Cruise. They were both outstanding. Also highly recommended are the university of Alaska Museum of the North and the Fairbanks visitor Center downtown. Fairbanks was a very easy town to get around 

On 8/14/2019 at 4:51 AM, SuperCrewBear said:

If you want to be able to explore some a car would be your best bet.  You should be able to get something for less than $100.  Fairbanks is spread out and, unless  you're right downtown, not an easy walk to get places.  One of my favorite things to do is have lunch at the Hilltop Truckstop on the Steese highway north of town maybe 15-20 minutes.  Along the way is a small park like area with a section of the Alaska pipeline running through it.  There are some displays and information plaques there.  Out east of town about 10-15 minutes is North Pole, Alaska where there is a giant Christmas store called Santa Claus House - Santa is there every day.

Is the Howling Dog Saloon still around,  When we were in Fairbanks on blues night several years ago, the band was great.

Disagree w you on anything in North Pole.  On the same trip, we found the whole town to be a big tourist trap.  The rest of your suggestions are right on however.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

The first thing we did with our rental car ($40) was drive to Wal-Mart. They have a large souvenir section with all the standard t-shirts, hats, etc. at a substantial savings. Also picked up some drinks and snacks. Then we went to the University of Alaska Museum of the North which is well laid out and very interesting. Finished our day with dinner at The Pump House restaurant. You can watch YouTube videos of anyplace you are thinking about going to see if you would like it. Thats how I decided North Pole was not worth the drive for us.